Speaker Calibration

Options
ken brydson
ken brydson Posts: 8,648
OK, I shipped the wife off for a few days, bought an Avia disc and a SPL meter and a 1/2 rack of beer. I've printed a couple of Doc's how to threads and I'm about ready to start. Couple of questions-

1) I've set all filter points to 80 Hz. Should the sub (LFE) be set to 80 as well?

2) Do the distance/height settings have anything to do with the calibration process? I've got them roughly set now. If I mess with them after calibration is that going to mess the calibration up?

3) Do I have enough beer?
Post edited by ken brydson on

Comments

• ken brydson
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ken brydson
    OK, I shipped the wife off for a few days, bought an Avia disc and a SPL meter and a 1/2 rack of beer. I've printed a couple of Doc's how to threads and I'm about ready to start. Couple of questions-

1) I've set all filter points to 80 Hz. Should the sub (LFE) be set to 80 as well?

2) Do the distance/height settings have anything to do with the calibration process? I've got them roughly set now. If I mess with them after calibration is that going to mess the calibration up?

3) Do I have enough beer?

12 views and no repies? Not even on my beer inventory:(

I REALLY need an answer on #1 to get started.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Ken:

If you are doing bass management at the AVR, then you need to bypass the low pass filter control on the subwoofer.

Does your sub have an LFE (unfiltered) input? If so, use it.

If not, then use the L or R low level input and crank the filter control all the way to its highest setting.

80 Hz is perfect for HT.

The distance settings will not affect the calibration level, just the delay time.

Ideally, if your Master Volume permits, set it to 00 before you start with the Avia test tones. Use 85 dB all around, and about 88-89 dB on the sub for HT.

If you have 7.1, get back to me for a good calibration technique on the rear surrounds.

Calibration should only take an hour or so. I'd say you have enough beer.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • ken brydson
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Doc. Unfortunately my sub is the weak link in my system until I can talk the wife into a PB1:)
    Sub is a Technics SB-AS60. It does not have an unfiltered LFE input, just L and R. I'm currently using L with no splitter. It has a Low Pass knob (50-200 Hz) on the front. That's what I need to crank up all the way, right? Do I need to set a filter point on the AVR for the sub?
    Sorry if these are dumb "newbie" questions. I really appreciate the help. KB
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    ken,
    Yup, crank it all the way up to 200.

Also, if I recall correctly, adding a splitter will yield a 3 db gain at your sub's input. Doc, am I right here?

How's the beer holding out?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    ken,
    Yup, crank it all the way up to 200.

Also, if I recall correctly, adding a splitter will yield a 3 db gain at your sub's input. Doc, am I right here?

How's the beer holding out?

If you are filtering at the AVR, set all the speaks to small, and the filter point to 80 Hz. This will take care of everything as far as bass management goes, including the sub.

Yes, crank up the low pass to 200 Hz if you do not have an unfiltered input. Left only is fine, or you can add a Y splitter and go L/R, and tour is right, it adds about 3 dB of volume, but you can also accomplish more cheaply that by increasing the sub level at the AVR.

I only recommend a Y splitter when you have a "sleepy" auto-on circuit. It otherwise provides no benefit.

Doc

SVS
  • ken brydson
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Finished up with beer to spare. Sounds pretty good, probably will be tweeking for a while. Demo'd Monsters Inc and Pearl Harbor, WOW!!
    Thanks for the help guys!
  • AJ Audio
    AJ Audio Posts: 7
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The Lfe Depending on if you like bass alot should be set 50Hz or lower.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    AJ,
    Welcome to the forum.

Where'd you come up with the 50 Hz? That's getting down in the area that a fair number of mains start checking out.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by AJ Audio
    The Lfe Depending on if you like bass alot should be set 50Hz or lower.

I don't think AJ understands that in this particular case we are filtering with the AVR and avoid filter cascading at the sub because it lacks an unfiltered LFE input or a filter bypass switch.

The above recommendations are solid and stand.

Doc

SVS
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2003
    Options
    ya couldnt' say blow a driver by setting the sub up wrong could u? like say double flitering or anything like that? :eek: