5 1/4's & 6x9's?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
i want some new in car 5 1/4's and 6x9's and want to run an amp. i don't know much about the in car speakers. my deck does 25 x 4 rms and was thinking i could find a small rms 5 1/4 speaker to run of the deck and then get some kickin 6x9's and put an amp to them.

i was lookin at the polk ex369's. what amp power would they need. for the price of total speakers i would like to keep it around 300 dollars Ebay. and then i would spend like 250 Ebay on the amp.

i read a little about having louder speakers in the front so that could be a way to. keeping my 6x9's and then what 5 1/4's and amp power. same prices for this set up to. thanks for you help :)
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    many people have done what you're saying (deck the fronts / amp the rears), but i never understand it -- its totally backwards.

fact is, you can get a very good 4 channel amp that does like 75 x 4 watts rms (which puts that 25 watts deck power to utter shame) for that 250 thatyou're talking about.

Hell i saw an Xtant 50 x 4 (a hell of a sweet amp) for 200! You know, now that I think of it - you can get a good 75 x 4 RETAIL for 250.

Thus, I highly suggest you do so - and run an amp to all 4 speakers.

As far as what speakers... the polk 6x9's are rated like 100 wrms.... the 6 1/2 are reated ate about 60 w rms ... and the 5 1/4 should be like 50 or 60 but I can't find them in the stupid crutchfield catalog -- dunno why -- least i think they make a 5 1/4 -- they must since the EXIII are like the "fit any stock location" kinda line of speaker.

anyway -- ya... the speakers are on sale at crutchfield for 99 bucks for the pair of 6x9's and 69 for the 6 1/2 (so prolly 59 or 69 for the 5 1/4) --- then u can get an amp like a Profile California 640 ( 75 x 4 at 4 ohms rms ) for 160 bucks --- that's retail and its only like 330 total --- add an amp kit ( SWX #211AK8 -- 17 foot patch cables, 20 feet power line, 5 feet ground, remote turn on lead, fuse holder and fuse -- all the stuff u need) for 29 bucks -- and you're out the door all said and done for 350 brand new from a retailer.

if you have a non-factory cd player, then great... if you dont, then either A) you have to get one and ditch the factory one (best option and sound) or B) you can get a line otu converter for 20 or 30 bucks (but it wont sound that great).

hope tha thelps.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    answered the question and so much more!!! that is what i will do. and plus you saved me MONEY!!!! ya very nice. the deck has 3 preouts so whould i put the rca jacks in the rear preout or the front preout or does it matter. (sub preout is in being used).

these 5 1/4 and 6x9 are old sony explodes yuck. dealer was high on them. my factory speakers where better.. go acdelco lol. anyway i can't wait to try polk!!!

thanks for the advice!!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    hey no problem man...

ya sony are aweful -- absolute garbage -- i've never heard a worse aftermarket speaker cept Kraco...lol.

as far as front/rear preouts --- a 4 channel amp will have 4 inputs -- that means you use both the front and rear outputs from the deck... u can use just one set, but if you've got two sets, then use two, that way u can still have fader control.

the polk EX III's are much better... i wish they had something as good as the old db/dx coaxials out, but they the EX III are not shabby at all and they'll put that sony garbage to utter shame :)

happy listening :D
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    i just looked at the 5 1/4's on crutchfield online and they do 45 rms they are 59.99 and i was just wondering if that 75 x 4 would be to much power for those 5 1/4's?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    what 5 1/4s are you looking at?
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    the 5 1/4's are the polk exIII with rms 45 watts the 6 x 9's are ok with that amp just didn't know about the 5 1/4's that's all. thanks again.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    they'll be fine -- when u make sure u use a high pass crossover (ballpark 80 - 100 hertz) and u are using good clean power u can usually drive a speaker beyond its means... whereas if u use deck power and its dirty and distorted even 20 watts of deck power can completely destroy a speaker -- i just pulled a 40 watt rms speaker otua this girls car today that was being pushed with 15 watts deck rms power -- it was blown -- distortion... clean power never hurt nobody -- besides u can just turn the gain down a little on the 51/4's so that u only get 50 or whatever to them instead of 75 - thats the beauty of an amp - adjustable settings.