"New" DVD player

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited June 2003 in Electronics
I *may* be in the market for a "new" DVD player. I haven't cleared this take-off with the tower yet....

My current player has worked great for about 18 months (Apex AD800). But I've noticed an increase in the audio drop-outs, and it has started consistently missing the same words at the same point in movies. Example, I bought T2 last week, and the player misses the words "liquid metal" when Arnold is explaining to the kid about the other terminator. Every time, the sound just aren't there.. bleep. Video is great. This will be a fine upstairs, nonHT player. Edit: in the player's defense, it has received HEAVY use. We don't have cable and usually watch movies when we watch anything.

I'm severely budget-restrained, to the point that I may not buy anything right now if I can't afford something I want. The good thing is I don't covet expensive players... just basic play-back quality. I think $150 is probably about it. Another positive is that I don't care about a changer. Single drawer is fine.

My first thought is to look at used 'better' players. Examples:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?homevdeo&1058307301

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?homevdeo&1058279769&class&3&4&

(Actually, I'm not sure how good the Tosh is; I've heard good things about JVC's upper stuff, I'm not impressed with their cheaper stuff)

I can get a new single-drawer player in that price range from just about every major mass manufacturer, including Onkyo, which I consider a step above JVC, Sony, etc. I won't buy Panasonic. I'm curious about Pioneer's regular stuff.

Progressive scan isn't important right now, although I've noticed it has trickled down to most but the most basic players. Built-in decoders are not necessary.

I want to be able to put in a disc, press play, and watch a movie without thinking about the player. That isn't happening anymore with the current unit.

This may or may not happen, but I'm curious as to opinions, history with certain brands, and whether anyone here has the itch to upgrade or has a player 'lying around' that they would sell.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited June 2003
    Options
    hey, that's funny. I just got an AD800 for Christmas and I sent it into Apex for repairs on Feb 28th 2003. I still have not heard back from those punks. Problem, you guessed it...audio drop-out....What a piece of crap. The least they could do is sent me a replacement or coupon or something...

I own the old AD600 with loop-holes that is carrying the load for me now...I have had this unit for over three years and the only gripe I have with it is the darn thing is loud.

I bought my dad an Onkyo 5 disc changer for $100 and it plays everything we throw at it without a problem. My fiance's dad picked a JVC unit for about $130 at good guys (don't remeber the model number) and the unit looked cool but the build quality sucked, as two of the buttons broke in the first two weeks...

So what am I saying in all of this...I don't really know. But I do know that I can recommend the Onk.

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'm a fan of Panasonic myself.

I think PeterNG had a few 'lying' around to see. Look him up in the flea market.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you don't mind buying off eBay, I have seen quite a few players there at, under, and well under your price range.
    I don't know much about Sony's dvd players, but they look nice.
    I am looking for a dvd player now too, but I want one for my bedroom (read: quality doeast matter) and I want to spend <$40 and was surprised to see quite a few on eBay for less than that.

Philips
    Here is a Philips for $152 shipped, this is actually a good player I bought this very same one for my girlfriends dad for his birthday about a year ago.

and a few more...
    Sony Progressive Scan

Sony 5 Disc Changer
    Anyway you get the idea, there are a bunch out there for your price range. Good luck. Mike
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The philips one can be found for around 100-120 range now that the newer models are out. I bought one from bestbuy because it's easily made to be region-free. It's flakey at times so once I get a TV w/ DVI, I'm replacing it.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by BeginnersLuck
    hey, that's funny. I just got an AD800 for Christmas and I sent it into Apex for repairs on Feb 28th 2003. I still have not heard back from those punks. Problem, you guessed it...audio drop-out....What a piece of crap. The least they could do is sent me a replacement or coupon or something...
    -BL

Well... I agree to the point that I won't buy another Apex. I don't agree that the unit was ALWAYS a piece of crap... at least mine wasn't. I also agree with you that that is way too long for the manufacturer to have your unit.

Russ... I've been wholly disappointed in my Panasonic VCR. I've had to replace the remote, and the tracking is so bad that anything taped on it is hard to hear on other machines - you certainly don't get HiFi. Our other VCR is a Toshiba and it has been great. I don't know if I can get over the willies on Pan.

Thanks for the replies. First things first... break it to my wife that the player is on the way out.