CD-Player upgrade confusion

tdpofjc
tdpofjc Posts: 14
edited June 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
after recently upgrading my music on system: ONKYO 8511 110 W
RT800i and PSW404 sub, I was thinking of upgrade my cd player.
Its a basic single tray Sony 1996 model...I suspect the technology has changed but my main concern is quality of sound not "bells and whistle", I don't even care for a changer as they all seem to jam, I am just happy I don't have to get up and flip an album over !! lol

I was told things to look for on a quality CD player are things such as number and type of DACS, SN ratio, digital/analog out, types of power supplies, ability to play new types of CD formats (SACD or DVD-A). What about HDCD format as well.

I don't want to get over techy as I am not even sure what half the stuff means in the previous paragraph but there must be a decent quality CD player out there.

thanks to all
Post edited by tdpofjc on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2003
    How much do you want to spend?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tdpofjc
    edited June 2003
    I realize that after reain some of the forums, I may be a bit over my head with my initial post.

To answer your question, I spent $125 in 1996 for my Sony...Is there anything decent in the $250 - $300....again I realize I am out of my league here but I would think there is something better than a 1996 sony.

thanks for your time
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2003
    You're not over your head, it's called upgrade fever and it's very catchy. :D

Check your pm.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Look at the NAD 521 and 541 (used). both great budget players! I have the 521 and LOVE it.

There are some other NAD desciples around here that will probably chime in...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Just to add to the confusion... Consider an outboard DAC. Couple threads here, and many more around the web, discussing ones that are in, and even well below, your stated budget range.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2003
    You can look for a used NAD C541 or save a little bit more for a C541i. Both models include HDCD decoding. You can read about them here: www.nadelectronics.com
    Other CD players you should check out are Rotel, AMC, Rega and I'm sure other members will add to the list.

Maurice
  • tdpofjc
    edited June 2003
    thanks for the reply...

Do you have a specific AMC model comparable to the NAD 521?
    Do you know the AMC web site for info ?

thanks to all
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    amchome.com
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tdpofjc
    edited June 2003
    On the AMC website they listened two phased out models.

CDM7A

CD8a

Are these comparable to NAD 521 ? Are they considered entry level ?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    I'm not familar with the 521, but as far as AMC goes, you want to (sign up), and look at the refurb list.

CD8a, if you plan on using an external DAC
    CD8b, if you don't want to use an external DAC (has 24/96 Burr Browns built in)

Unbeatable at the price point, imo (for new/factory refurb)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    HDCD is going no where fast, I wouldn't worry about that format.

Due to Sony's weight, SACD is fast outpacing DVD-A, but both offer good sonic quality. The SACD technology is superior, IMO, though.

Few players offer both DVD-A and SACD, and you've gotta pay if you want both.

Even if you want just one format, don't skimp on the player because (as alluded to above) the quality of the DACs in the player will largely determine how the player sounds in SACD and DVD-A with external analog outputs.

Opinions may differ, but from what I've read, expect to spend $500 or more on a decent player that will offer very good sound quality. You can find DVD-A and SACD players cheaper, but the sound quality might suffer (there are exceptions to this rule, probably).

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS