trouble swapping in some aftermarket 6x9's

Options
comfortablycurt
comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
edited July 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to swap some Jensen 6x9's into my car, and I'm having some trouble wiring them up.

The car is a 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, and the stereo is all factory original.

I've had a pair of Jensen 6x9's laying around for a while and I figured I'd swap them in.

The problem is, there's some weird factory wiring harness attached to the factory 6x9's. There are two pairs of wires running into this harness(2 positives and two negatives, I'm assuming), with two pairs running out from the harness to the speaker. I'm assuming this is some form of bi-wiring. The Jensen's only have one pair of inputs per speaker though, so I can't connect them the same way.

How should I go about hooking them up? I'm taking a 500 mile trip this weekend, and I'd love to have them up and running for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can get some pics up tomorrow if that helps.
The nirvana inducer-
APC H10 Power Conditioner
Marantz UD5005 universal player
Parasound Halo P5 preamp
Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
Post edited by comfortablycurt on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Some factory speakers (especially rear deck) are dual voice coil. I've even seen some with weird impedances, like 4 ohm on 1 coil and 10 on the other.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Trace the speaker leads. One is going to be the midbass, the other is the tweeter. Hook up just the midbass.

That should do it. Rarely, you would just twist the positives together and the negatives together and hook it up that way.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • comfortablycurt
    edited June 2010
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Trace the speaker leads. One is going to be the midbass, the other is the tweeter. Hook up just the midbass.

That should do it. Rarely, you would just twist the positives together and the negatives together and hook it up that way.
    -Cody

Thanks! I'm about to go give that a try now. Thank god for garages with lights...lol...I'm getting it done last minute as usual.

As you might have guessed, I tried simply twisting the positives together and the negatives together. I got sound through it, but it only sounded "decent" with the volume real low. At even slightly high volumes, the speakers started cutting out, and sounding distorted.

I'll see if I can get the wires traced, and I'll report back with some results.:) Thanks for the help.

One question, if I connect just the midbass wire, the speakers won't be receiving any highs, correct? Not a big deal either way, as I'd rather have more of the treble coming from up front anyway. I really just want the 6x9's for added bass extension...since the front speakers have next to no low end.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • comfortablycurt
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Alright, the speakers are up and running! I just traced the wires back, and hooked up the midbass wires. Things are sounding great now!! Thanks for the help.:)
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • comfortablycurt
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Well, the speakers performed admirably for the whole trip! Things are sounding much better now than they were with just the front speakers. I actually have bass output now...lol
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp