Subwoofer dilemma(SVS, Sunfire, PSW650)

Options
2»

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the props - we all learn from each other and try to pass the knowledge along - it's the whole point of Club Polk (aside from the huge entertainment value).

Good advice from tour - trust me, you won't need either the 350 or the Sunfire sub in that size room. The 20-39PCi will fill it with deep, powerful, clean bass with no problems.

Corner placement anywhere in the room should be fine with an 80 Hz crossover point, and the sub will be very difficult to localize. Placement near the mains would be optimum, if you can, but not required. The cylinder takes up very little floor space actually, despite its large size.

Please post your impressions when you receive it.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited June 2003
    Options
    First of all I want to thank you all (especially Doc) for such a great help and support. It was very very helpful to make a decision.
    I ordered the 20-39pci sub today and i called the SVS customer service and the Eric the SVS sales guy was really helpful in explaining the differences in PC+ and PCi and he too suggest to buy the pci.
    As soon as i get it i'll do my audition and let u know guys about my impressions.
    Thank u all,
    Arshad Malik

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by malikarshad
    First of all I want to thank you all (especially Doc) for such a great help and support. It was very very helpful to make a decision.
    I ordered the 20-39pci sub today and i called the SVS customer service and the Eric the SVS sales guy was really helpful in explaining the differences in PC+ and PCi and he too suggest to buy the pci.
    As soon as i get it i'll do my audition and let u know guys about my impressions.
    Thank u all,
    Arshad Malik

Always glad to help. You WILL be impressed with the improvement in bass quality. Looking forward to your impressions.

Great demo DVDs to show off your new SVS:

A. I.: Artificial Intelligence (dts)
    Air Force One
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Band of Brothers
    Black Hawk Down
    Blade II (dts)
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    From Hell (dts)
    The Haunting (dts)
    Jurassic Park III (dts)
    K-19: The Widowmaker
    Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (theatrical version is strongest)
    The Matrix
    Minority Report (dts)
    Monsters, Inc.
    Pearl Harbor (dts)
    Saving Private Ryan (dts)
    Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace
    Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    Terminator 2 (dts)
    Titan A. E. (dts)
    Toy Story 2
    U-571 (dts)
    We Were Soldiers

SVS
  • malikarshad
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Got the SVS 20-39 pci few days back. My first reaction after opening the big box was WOW!!! this is huge. I did a quick test and was truly impressed by its performance. Very clean, deep bass compared to the sunfire. Now I understand what THD means. The sunfire was very boomy sometimes but SVS is simply clean and clear.
    I still have to calibrate my HT with AVIA and SPL meter. Will post details as soon as I'm done with it.
    Hey Doc i cannot help saying that you are really a HT Doc. Had i not listened to you I won't have known what a real good subwoofer is.
    Anyway Doc congrats on your new PB2-ISD sub. What are you doing with your 20-39 PC+?
    Another question can the SVS PCi series be tuned to lower frequency using the port plug?
    These forum really rocks.
    Thanx all.
    Arshad
    Front- Rti 70's
    Center - Csi40
    Surround - Fxi50
    Surround back - Rt600i
    Receiver - Denon Avr-3803
    Sub - SVS 20-39 PCi

Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by malikarshad
    Got the SVS 20-39 pci few days back.

I...was truly impressed by its performance. Very clean, deep bass compared to the sunfire. Now I understand what THD means. The sunfire was very boomy sometimes but SVS is simply clean and clear.

Congrats on your new PB2-Plus sub. What are you doing with your 20-39 PC+?

Can the SVS PCi series be tuned to lower frequency using the port plug?

Arshad:

I'm happy you are thrilled with the 20-39PCi. It really matters a lot to me when someone lays $600+ on the line at my recommendation and they feel afterwards it is money very well spent.

Yes, the SVS will be much cleaner and will also play flatter, deeper, and louder than the Sunfire. It probably has 1/3 of the Sunfire's distortion in the lowest octaves.

My beloved 20-39PC+ was sold to a good friend and is already in his HT rocking. It has already cracked a drywall joint over there - I couldn't be prouder and I will really miss that sub; it is an outstanding performer.

No, the PCi series cannot be tuned with a port plug. Only the Plus series with the triple ports can be tuned. Fortunately, the 20-39 enclosure has the best blend of extension and SPL and you will not be missing a beat in the stock tune. That sub will provide flat in-room extension to about 17-18 Hz - plenty deep for any DVD. Enjoy!

Regards,

Doc

SVS
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    It has already cracked a drywall joint over there - I couldn't be prouder...
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaa... Doc, you're a sick man... I love it!

So is the "2" in the house?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaa... Doc, you're a sick man... I love it!

So is the "2" in the house?

Yes, check my other thread for details. I just ripped off Titan AE in DTS and I wimped out at around 115 dB. I'm going to ruin the house but the sub is coasting.

Doc

SVS
  • malikarshad
    edited June 2003
    Options
    After calibrating using AVIA disc my HT really rocks. The SVS sub is awesome.
    I had to do some rearrangement of my furniture so that the sub is not behind my entertainment center. Otherwise it rattles everything.
    And now I get the ultimate pleasure of the HT. I could not help getting out of work early every day just to enjoy my HT. I hope this does not cause me trouble.
    Anyway I had a question for Doc that I posted on other thread Reference Level for calibrating the system with Denon AVR 3803 & AVIA disc. Even though the AVIA disc is playing in manual mode when I got to 3803 channel level setup it play the internal tones along with AVIA tones. So I had to pause AVIA and change the channel level. So I'm unsure whether my calibration is 100% accurate. I have a Rat Shack Digital SPL meter, the AVIA disc suggest that the needle meter is better for calibrating HT than the Digital one. Do I really have to get the needle meter or it does not matter.
    Thanks a lot for your help and support