Here's a compliment for the MM6

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was driving today and i got pulled over by a cop and got a noise ordinance warning.... Do you want to know what I was running at the time?? One Polk MM6 component set running off of my Pioneer DEHP2000 45x4 power. If one pair of MM6's can get a noise ordinance warning when running off of deck power that means they must be doing something right.

Nice work polk

I still want to find the old x-overs though ;p
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    25-ish wrms --- musta been one a@@hole cop.

u ought to look up your local noise ordinace and find out what the requirements are -- here it is something like 128 db's outside the vehicle (within 1 foot of vehicle) with an approved microphone.

i'd be tellin that cop to go stuff it... unless you've got one of those "reasonable disturbance" types of laws in which case the guy could give u a warning/ticket for talking too loud.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    I think ours is distance related.. he could hear me from where he was clocking which was 30-50 feet away from my car and it was loud enough to get his attention so who knows. he seemed pretty nice to when he was talking to me...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    youre running a component system off your deck?!?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    .... heh, ya cody i figured i wouldn't mention that one to him -- i was tryin to be nice to the new guy :) heh heh
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    I know I know... I hate running it off the deck and at the time i got them i was planning on getting another pair and a 4 channel amp within a month but being a poor college student my plans were changed for me... I'm working on it though I just need to figgure out what amp to use... any suggestions on an amp (preferably no more than $600)... 4ch that will power 2 pairs of MM6's WELL (I hate poor sound quality and distortion)

BTW if it's something that's carried at Circuit City (Alpine, MTX,....oh wait those are the only decent brands we carry in amps...) even better cause i can get it at cost :D:D

money problems are now solved by working fully time machining parts... yay...fun... (note sarciasm)

after that i'm replacing the headunit... I love Pioneer cause of previous experience but i'm starting to lean more toward an alpine... I've heard they get much better sound quality...

after that the subs :D:D (already decided on these) 2 MTX 9500 12's each running off of one MTX 1501D (new alternator to boot ;p) Should be enough to get lots of volume w/o distortion (*pulls out gun and shoots distortion in the head*) ;D

Any advice/ Input is greatly welcome (I know more than your average CC or BB shopper but i still have a lot to learn)

Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    look for an amp that does 125x2 @ 4 ohms
    class ab
    im using a rockford fosgate but whatever floats your boat
    as far as alpine sounding better than pioneer...i dont concur...i have the pioneer deh-p940mp and it is the best damn radio ive ever heard with more options than i know what to do with
    alpine makes nice amps but are somewhat over priced in my opinion
    im guessing you like mtx....so go with them for your amps
    stay away from that sony crap...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    if u're doin mtx sub amps u can do an mtx 502 or an 8302 to the momo components.

or get real ballsy and bridge a 4244 or whatever the new 4 ch is .. u'll do about 200 - 225 x 2 versus 125 - 150 x 2 with the above 2 channel.
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    I have the US acoustic from the Crutch....450 X 1 pushing my mm10...I swear the windows will bust out soon...can't believe it is only one 10 with that amp..amp only cost 170 bucks...! Those amps are sweet for the money!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    I am becoming more and more intent on the pioneer premier Dehp950MP that built in 13 band eq is pretty sweet :D... I had heard that alpine amps got better sound quality to mtx's power and with my mm6's sound quality is key (my 9500's will be able to handle the bass ;D) That and the amp draw on all mtx's is a little high ( I can't find an alternator higher than 200A for my car)

still undecided on amp...

ps. *shudders* sony *shudders*

anyone in car audio knows that sony is spawned from hell (i like their tv's though ;D)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    current draw is relative ....

u're not gonna put 1500 on the 9500 sub, u'll put 1000 - 1100 on it -- and so u're 1501D's will only pull up to 100 A each nominal draw.

thats 200 ---- then say 60A tops for your highs ... thats 260 -- u can easily run that off a 200A alt and two batteries....

i run two 81000d's at around 1300 w ea / bridged BT at ballpark 200 x 2 and another BT at 50 x 2
    and i do it all of the stock 117A alt and two big batteries... rearely if ever see a V drop.

u'd be surprised how much a battery can do.
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    cool thanks for the heads up :D:D

here's the question though which is better gell cell or deep cycle ??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    Um, if you are going to be putting the battery in your car and you are going to use it to start and run the car too, you cannot use a deep cycle. It cannot support the current draw needed by the starting systems and ignition systems of the car. If you are going to power the stereo seperatly with the deep cycle then that will be fine but you still need a normal car battery to support the operation of teh vehicle. Deep cycle batteries are mostly used for marine applications things that need portable power like a portable hydraulic lift or something. They are not car batteries by far.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    u can always get 4 eight volt golf cart batteries, jump them in series and get dual 16 v batts... prolly jerk up your body computer but it'd rock out that system :)

i dunno about optimas and what not -- if i ahd only one battery i'd probably want an optima yellow top -- but with two -- i see no problem with two die hard / energizer / whatever 900 or 1000 CCA batts.
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    I went in to a local Car audio distributor today to look at the Pioneer Dehp950... We started talking and when i told him the main reason that i was looking at that deck was from what I had been told of its sound quality he showed me the Eclipse CD8443 Headunit... He told me it was the best SQ headunit he had seen and about how it's the most used deck in IASCA competition... Just wanted some input on this deck and Eclipse in general... It's about half the price of the 950 and he tells me it's a better deck... Just trying to find out if it's too good to be true...

Advice appreciated :D:D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    ps also looking at the Eclipse PA5422 4 ch amp to run my MM6 component sets... Info appreciated...

BTY how on earth do i log onto the forums... I registered as Mtxman but i don't see a place to log on :(:( confused...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2003
    nm that last part on the previous post... I just found out that the login screen is in the Club Polk menu and not in the individual foruma menus... that's what i get for going straight to car audio ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    eclipse is a good brand for head units, my brother has an older model eclipse...no where near the graphics mine has, but a very nice basic radio thats easy to use
    im not sure of the exact model, and when i have time ill look it up, but im doubtful its a better head unit if its half the price, and im REALLY doubtful it has 6volt pre outs and has as many tuning options as the pioneer does
    btw, electronicscity.com has the pioneer for 550, carmedia1.com has it for 600
    but yes, eclipse is a good brand
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    the most used deck in SQ competition was an alpine

alpine CDA 7949 i think -- maybe 7942... i think 49 tho.

it had a 100% copper chassis

true 4 volt non-clipping RCA outs (when a deck says 4 V outs now.. it means 4v max... so its like 2 or 2.5 v rms outs before clipping).

the good thing about te non clipping outs was that u could dial right up to 35 or whatever the max volume was and THAT was where you'd see it clip out... went all the way to the max...

no internal amp -- nothin but bass and trebble and an adjustable loudness button but those were just about never used... it was virtually always mated to a suitable pre-amp processor for equalization / xover -- like an audiocontrol EQT setup (usually 4 of those) or something similar.

that deck had balls... ugly lookin as hell, i mean it was like 1996-ish technology, but it was damn good.

eclipse is used a lot, but nobody is going to use a deck in SQ comp that has a lot of fetures... this is not me knockin eclipse... i'm juts making a point about what does and doesn't get used and for what reason.

no deck, by any mfg, is going to be used in SQ comp because its got any features at all --- all those guys want is nonclipping preamp outs (if they can evenfind anything other than a Nakamichi or a Blaupunkt[yuck] that has that anymore), at least 2 pair of outs, preferably more, a high sampling rate on the cd reader, good signal to noise ratio, and a copper chassis blanketing a low noise unit.

the decks that do that most all look dumb and simple...

the daily driver SQ-er's however go after stuff like the Pio deck cody's got ... the alpine 9815... eclipse... stuff like that... because it's simple and puts some of the useful tools of outboard processing into the head so we can make our systems sound really good and "SQ tweaked" for driving, but u can never do with a head what you can do with outboard product.

personally -- i've never owned anything better than an alpine 7863, and i'd kill to have that new pioneer (its got an adjustable BBE for christ sake)...

i haven't seen the new eclipse product -- i wish somebody carried it around here -- i go around and play with / break most **** place's product around here just for curiosity sake ... but no one sells eclipse.... i really am disgusted with local audio's horrible character.