Question about MM6501UM speakers

Options
rpaxton2
rpaxton2 Posts: 5
edited July 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am re-wiring four MM6501UM speakers in my boat. I had a lot of static in one channel and thought that it was the Alpine amp. I sent that in, and after 3 months finally got it back from Alpine who stated there was nothing wrong with the amp.

My question:

I have noticed that the negative terminal on these speakers is smaller (not as wide) as the positive terminal. I have also noticed that one of my new connections was loose on the negative terminal.

1. Are you supposed to use different connectors for the negative terminals, or just crimp the ones that fit the positive terminal down so that they grab the smaller terminal more tightly? If it is a different connector, any idea what size?

2. Could a loose negative speaker wire have been causing static, hissing, and popping noises from the speaker? :eek:

Thanks for the help,

Rodg
Post edited by rpaxton2 on

Comments

• rpaxton2
    rpaxton2 Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yes I did all of that before I sent the amp off. The problem was intermitent, but seemed to follow the channel on the amp. We also switched the imputs to the amp to test the head, but that did not seem to fix it. I want to hurry and finish my install to see if the rewire fixes my problem as the head is about to go out of warranty (though I'm thinking I could convince Alpine to cover it since it took them 3 MONTHS to get the amp back to me). After looking at where some of the speaker cables were running I am hoping that this fixes it. The channels on the right side of the boat run into a wiring harness and dissapear under the dash.

I am replacing them with 16 gauge speaker wire. I am double heat shrinking my connections to avoid any accidental stray wires. Even if a connection comes loose there is no way for it touch an opposite pole. I am also being careful to keep my speaker wire away from power conduits, and keeping them up off of moist carpet and such.
  • findcarparts
    findcarparts Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    Options
    MM6501UM is a committed basic arrangement for marine needs. With amplitude age materials, we accept the best of both worlds- believability and abundant complete quality. Designed and styled accurately for use in the abyssal environment