JL sub recommendation

Options
psychohistory
psychohistory Posts: 7
edited June 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Howdy (again)! First off, thanks for the info. Just put in some SR5250 and they are WONDERFUL (just had them 1 day, not even broken in yet. Love 'em).

Question:
I have a PDX-5 amp.
Output wattage to single channel sub is 300W-425W (it came with a sheet saying "specification = 300W", and "actual = 425W"). SO....
What JL audio subwoofer works best with this? I'd like to keep it 10 inch, since I already have a box that size.

According to this chart:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/RecPowerChart_09.pdf
It looks like I should get a 10W6v2. Is this correct? My focus is Sound Quality (NOT boom boom).

Another random question. For the SR5250s, how big a difference do grills play in the mix? Should I cut out my factory grills from the door and use the ones supplied by polk? Or is this a negligible difference?

Thank you soooo much!
Post edited by psychohistory on

Comments

• TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Don't worry about the grills, but I use the ones that came with the SR5250's since they look better.
    And hey, if you already love those (I did too, even before they were broken in), just wait 'til they're broken in!!! :D
    (they take a while before they're fully broken in, I noticed my midbass from 30-50 hours, perfect now over 100h!)

As for the subwoofer, I love my JL 12w6v2! A great sub that sounds awesome with the SR's! Go for it. ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You could go with either a 10w3 2ohm or even a 10w6 dual 4ohm depends on budget.
  • psychohistory
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TakeTheTime, thanks! I'll just keep my factory grills. Can't wait for them to break in ^^

Installer4life, thank you as well. I have the money, so I might go with the 10w6. Just wasn't sure if my amp would give it enough power to get enough out of it. Concerning the 10w3, I realize my amp can handle 2-4 ohm impedance, but what's the benefit of going with the 2 ohm? (as you can tell, I'm very new to all this).

Thanks for the help everyone.
  • TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TakeTheTime, thanks! I'll just keep my factory grills. Can't wait for them to break in ^^

Yes, just use whatever grill that fits - don't worry about the sound. ;)
    You should look forward to it. If they sit tight in well-damped doors,
    they produce EXCELLENT bass all the way from 50hz. Actually so
    good that some buds of mine thought it was subwoofers. :D
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The PDX amp is rated at 2ohms on the sub channel and 4 ohms on the other 4 channels. It is not rated like the PDX600.1. The 600.1 makes rated power into 2 or 4 ohms. If you want the amp to produce its rated power you need a 2 ohm load on the sub channel.
  • psychohistory
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Installer4life, so the 10w3 2ohm is looking like the better choice? Why recommend the the 10w6 dual 4ohm if I won't be getting the rated power (since the load is different). Just trying to understand. Thanks again for helping out this noob. :D

Also, very generic question. Is there that big a difference between 12" and 10" subs? I'd like to stick with 10" JL, but I don't want to end up not liking it and spending more money later. Thanks!
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The 10w6v2-4 is actually dual 3.15 ohm voice coils. So wired in parallel it's a 1.575 ohm load.
    The 10w3v3-2 is actually a 1.70 ohm load.
    The w6 series is their best SQ subs.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures