Recommendations?

Options
cstmar01
cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
edited June 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys never did car audio more of a home audio type of guy. I've got two cars that I switch off between for driving. 98 Ford Exploder for winter months then I drive (normally) a 2004 Grand Am GT in the summer. Do you guys know if it would be possible to have a simple way to use 1 system in both cars?

I mean I know the main speakers would probably have to be for each but a simple head unit I could stick in both as well as a sub box that would fit in both yet produce decent sound in both applications?

Kinda goofy I know with what I'm asking just wondering if it could be done. If I had to choose otherwise which one I would stick a system in it would be the Grand Am seeing I can drive that around in the summer time and would take most of my trips in that car.

Budget would probably be around 1000-2000 depending on everything needed to be done. I could build the sub box stuff ect as well as I do have some help for any installs as my buddy has done them in his own car forever.
Post edited by cstmar01 on

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Well, if i had to do this here's what i'd do:

1. Get wires for BOTH cars (power, ground, turn-on lead, speaker wires, RCAs...) This way you run them once in each car, trust me switching wires back & forth is time consuming AND potentially will get your wires messed up sooner or later.
    2. Get SPEAKERS FOR BOTH cars. Same reasoning as wires PLUS i'm sure 98 Explorer and 04 AM have different size speakers. Even if they are the same taking panels off and on all the time will only cause plastic clips to brake and screws to be lost.
    3. Headunit (radio) could be shared i quess...
    4. Amp and sub can def be shared. Those would also probably be the most expensive items out of the list too so might be a good idea to share them. Sub will have to be in the box so make sure it'll fit both vehicles. Since Explorer is way bigger then AM i'd go with 1 powerfull (lots of Watts) sub/amp combo for it and turn the gain/volume down when it's in AM.

Everything said above is just a basic outline since i don't know how far you want to take SQ in both cars. Again, Explorer is a lot bigger, might be a good thing to have a set of speaker in the front AND back which means u'd need a 4 channel amp while AM could be just fine with just front speakers and a sub....

Hard to say but in this case i'd probably go with NICE component speaker for the front of AM which you can bi-amp (all 4 channels of the amp used) and nothing in the rear except for a sub. Trust me, this set-up works. It might be hard to understand since we're all used to everycar having 2 front and 2 rear speakers from the factory but it's ideal SQ set-up.

Explorer might need some speakers in the rear so u could still use the same 4channel amp but components (or regular speakers in the front) will not be bi-amped. They will still sound good, comps don't HAVE to be bi-amped but for AM set-up that would be perfect.

So yeah, there ya go:

AM:
    ALL Wires
    Bi-amp'able components in the front
    Nothing in the rear deck (take out factory speakers so sub's bass would have more space to enter the cabin)

EXPLORER:
    ALL Wires
    Components in the front
    6'5'' (or 6x9'', or whatever else, don't know what size is correct for explorer) in the back doors

BOTH CARS:
    4 channel amp
    POWERFULL Subwoofer with a box that would fit in both vehicles (gain up in Explorer/gain down in am)
    Mono amp for your sub
    Headunit
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Head unit would generally be a PITA... especially in the Grand Am.

Amp and sub would be fairly easy. Like vital said, get 2 power kits and 2 sets of rcas and have them ran.

The amp could be mounted to the box...simple package (or you could get a powered sub with the amp built in--tend to be as good quality). Eliminate having to take the amp and box out separately, as well as you wouldnt have to unplug speaker wires.

For the power wire, I'd suggest clips like these:
    http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=Breakaway+Power+Connector&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=Breakaway+Power+Connector&x=27&y=11

which can usually be found at Napa Auto Parts as well.

Or you could get one of the snazzy new Alpine amps that have a similar setup where all the wires get screwed into a plug, which gets plugged into the amp. You would have to buy an extra connector though for the other car.

Remote wire is as simple as male/female spade connector.

RCAs can be done through a line out converter on both vehicles.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Just get an 1980's style boom box and be done.:)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,238
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The Carvers you just got would sound great as well.:D:p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited June 2010
    Options
    With the budget you mentioned,you could outfit both vehicles with a decent system.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The Carvers you just got would sound great as well.:D:p

I'll just strap them to the sides like wings and see if I can make the exploder fly. ;)
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Pick your phone up Chris :D
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.