edited June 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
sort of.
Post edited by mhardy6647 on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Those little Realistic speakers packed a heck of a punch back then.

Nice looking gear Mark!
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sweet!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Why?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,287
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Why?

Really bored; and too hot and muggy to do much outside.
    Mrs H is on a birding trip; Our daughter and son in law are en route for Fathers Day dinner here, though :-)
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'll bet that would make a very nice sounding office rig for someone with very limited space.
  • Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 930
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My dad had a Fisher Tube receiver with a Teac Reel to Reel and a pair of XAM speakers. It ROCKED the house. I can remember being woken up on Sat. morning to Classical music that was WAY to loud. 1812 Overture no less with the cannons booming......crazy.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2010
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Really bored; and too hot and muggy to do much outside.

You said it pal. I just ran out to get a gallon of milk and some ice cream (Father's Day cheat :D) and I, as well as the ice cream are sweaty and melting. The store is only a mile or so from my home.:eek:
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Spent three hours cutting grass Friday and Saturday; I did my bit.

Fisher receiver, eh?

TQWT.jpg
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I wan't to start a contest; the idea, name a piece of Vintage gear, the results, see if you can stump Mark Hardy's warehouse of goodies.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,585
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Not to change the subject. But what's the story with those speakers in front of the Klipsch there?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Did you actually get an 8-track to play? A few years ago I picked up an 8-track and couldn't find any tapes which still worked. I guess I could have got one to work had I pulled it apart and put on a new piece of foil tape. Most of them broke at the foil.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,573
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Isn't that an 8 track recorder too? I used to have one like that when I was a young punk.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The HK looks early 80's vintage no?
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I started my audio journey with two pairs of Realistic speakers plugged into a Technics receiver. I used a with Technics Record player as a source.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm just a youngin' and your setup is 13 years older than me, but I have to appreciate the vintage stuff; the build quality of those days is long gone. Nice little rig!
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2010
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    Did you actually get an 8-track to play? A few years ago I picked up an 8-track and couldn't find any tapes which still worked. I guess I could have got one to work had I pulled it apart and put on a new piece of foil tape. Most of them broke at the foil.
    madmax

The Chicago X played fine.
    A Memorex tape that had Steely Dan dubs on it separated at the track-sensing foil while playing.
    halo71 wrote: »
    Not to change the subject. But what's the story with those speakers in front of the Klipsch there?

http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/Proposals.html#RS%2040-1354a
    FTGV wrote: »
    The HK looks early 80's vintage no?
    Indeed. Only the 8-track player (and tape) hearken back to the halcyon days of the mid-70s.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited June 2010
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    ....couldn't find any tapes which still worked.

Elvis is in the building.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,655
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Dang, I really hated 8 track tapes. Track changes in the middle of a song was not good.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Those little Realistic speakers packed a heck of a punch back then.

Nice looking gear Mark!

I still have my Realistic Minimus speakers as well...and you know what...? They work! Bought them for almost nothing back in the day. Weren't they supposed to be a RadioShack rip-off of some German design?

Love the 8-track, I have one of those too? Memory-lane!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    I still have my Realistic Minimus speakers as well...and you know what...? They work! Bought them for almost nothing back in the day. Weren't they supposed to be a RadioShack rip-off of some German design?

Love the 8-track, I have one of those too? Memory-lane!

cnh

The Minimus 7, Lafayette PipSpeak, etc. were "inspired by" the Visonik David and the Braun/ads L-200 and its relatives; so, yes, "rip-off of some German design" isn't inaccurate. :-) The Polk MiniMonitor of the same era was a variation on that theme, adding a tiny passive radiator and using a "wood" box instead of diecast metal.

Interestingly, the speakers in the photos are much later Radio Shack Optimus Pro-X88AV speakers. These first appear in the 1999 R/S catalog:http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1999/ (see page 111)

These are cast metal like the Minimus 7, but contain a 5" woofer and a "monopole" version of Radio Shack's OEM version of the Lineaum tweeter.

They are not terribly accurate sounding, but they're OK. I found them at the dump and use them for test speakers on the bench in the basement.
  • cnh
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I remember the Pro speakers in the picture, now....I have a set of the Dipole version of that same tweeter....don't remember the model number at the moment.

cnh

• cnh
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hey Buddy (jonusb),

Watch your language? I'm in ASIA BTW and YOU HAVE BEEN REPORTED!!

cnh

• Gulfstrings
    Gulfstrings Posts: 313
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Whoa! That brings 'em back. Last 8 track I owned had a '66 Mustang wrapped around it.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
    Marantz AV7005
    Marantz MM7055
    Onkyo DX-755 CdP
    Oppo BDP-93
    Technics SL-1301/Shure M97xE
    Polk RTi A7s
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk FXi A6s
    Velodyne VDR10-BV
    Panamax M5100-PM
    Antec VERIS A/V Cooler x 2
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,573
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Whoa! That brings 'em back. Last 8 track I owned had a '66 Mustang wrapped around it.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

mine was a 66' Plymouth!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson