Need advice with subwoofer decision.

I need some advice on a sub purchase,Ihave a 21'x12' room and listen to movies only.I am looking at getting a CHT Velodyne but do not know if I should get the 10" or 12"?My question is would the 10" have enough punch for this size room or would I need the 12"?
  1. RTi 70
  2. CSi 40
  3. r30
  4. r15
  5. Velodyne 12" sub
  6. H/K AVR520
  7. PS3
  8. Xbox 360
  9. Bell HD satellite 6100
  10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
Post edited by Digital Daddy on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Digital Daddy
    I need some advice on a sub purchase,Ihave a 21'x12' room and listen to movies only.I am looking at getting a CHT Velodyne but do not know if I should get the 10" or 12"?My question is would the 10" have enough punch for this size room or would I need the 12"?

For HT, I doubt the 10" will move enough air to adequately energize the room. Recommend the 12" - that's a big room.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Digital Daddy
    Digital Daddy Posts: 36
    edited June 2003
    Thanks Dr.Spec for your opinion,I was also leaning towards the 12".IMO better to have more than is needed,than more than is capable of having,(make sense?)
    1. RTi 70
    2. CSi 40
    3. r30
    4. r15
    5. Velodyne 12" sub
    6. H/K AVR520
    7. PS3
    8. Xbox 360
    10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited June 2003
    i agree with Doc. Just helped a good friend set up his ht system his room is about 12 X 14 he has a cht 10 for his system. The low was not what he wanted. I went home & hauled my 650 over to try & it was a big difference. Seemed like the 10" didnt move enough air, the 650 did a better job. Id go with the 12.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    GoingGonzo (member) may still have a 12" Velo for sale. Scroll down the Flea Market.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2003
    the ct 120 is the same with a different grill. the ct120 will be great in that room. my ht is 18 by 26 and is slab on grade basement. it was great hits hard and even handles LOTR. i have never botomed it out.

yes i do and it is all yours for the sale price of 240+shiping is about 50 bucks. i dont have orgonal boxbut i do have ti oners manule. and i will box will pack it very good. this is a very good sub.

email me@ theirishgonzo@yahoo.com

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Dang GG! Right now money is real tight. In the near future things may loosen up a bit. I've been thinking about it for some time, but knew to stear away from any spendings. If it's still available at that time I'll bring a bottle of whiskey and some sours.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Digital Daddy
    edited June 2003
    Going Gonzn,now I am hesitating on getting the 12"VEL,might need the PSW650 after reading ezc's reply.What do you think would be the best decision?or do I switch to the 15"VELODYNE?I just want to do it right the first time and not be disappointed.I didn't really think my 21'x12' room is that big,but ezc tested his sub in a 12x14' room and it was good.EZC if you read this what do you think,would your 650 be enough in my size room compared to what you heard in your buddy's room?
    1. RTi 70
    2. CSi 40
    3. r30
    4. r15
    5. Velodyne 12" sub
    6. H/K AVR520
    7. PS3
    8. Xbox 360
    10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2003
    i have the 12 and it hits. i did have the 10 and there is a bog differance between the 10 and 12. if i wassent such a insane bass head. i would have kept the 12 but i had 4 12 on my car so i guess you get the pic. this 12 filled my ht with bass and it is open to the rest of the basemnt. and i dident have it corner loaded. everyone that i have had in my ht with the velo was blown away.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    From what I understood about the oop CT series, the 12 and 15 had the exact same motor structure and mag, just a larger basket on the 15. Whether or not that holds true for the CHT, I have no idea.

I wouldn't pay extra for the 15, and at the retail prices, I'd suggest you look into SVS, HSU, along with NHT, Adaire, and Dayton kits.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited June 2003
    Digital Daddy The cht 10 was ok. It didnt go down as low as my friend wanted, but it do a good job. I brought the 650 over to see if it was better & it was. In a larger room like yours the 650 would work. My room is 18' X about 15' with one side wall totaly open to the dining area, which is about 16' X 16'. My lows are good with the 650 alone. I have 2 subs set up in my room. I have the 650 & a carver knight shadow a 10" sub. I think sub placement is crucal no matter what sub you get. It took awhile to get one sub set up & even longer to get the seccond sub set up. I moved the sub may times to get it right at my seating position. There are may other subs that are very good! The club members have great advice! Id look at the different subs that they suggest & if possible listen tothem before making a decision!
  • Digital Daddy
    edited June 2003
    Thanks to you all for your help,I'm going to do some more research and demo's before rushing into something I will not be happy with.
    1. RTi 70
    2. CSi 40
    3. r30
    4. r15
    5. Velodyne 12" sub
    6. H/K AVR520
    7. PS3
    8. Xbox 360
    10. Samsung 4665 HDTV