VTL Stereo 50 tube amplifier 675.00

george daniel
george daniel Posts: 12,096
edited July 2010 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
This one is from the David Manley era.It has recently been given a clean bill of health.It comes with the original VTL tubes and a fresh quad of Sovtek 5881's and EH 12AT7's. It is in excellent condition.External bias measurement and adjustment.BTW--it has a very steady bias,I've only adjusted it once,after the new tubes were installed.Prefer local pickup,but I will ship if necessary.
Thanks for looking
Please pm if interested.
JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
Post edited by george daniel on

Comments

• george daniel
    edited June 2010
    If this amp sells somewhere else, you guys should be ashamed.Especially everyone who owns SDA's smaller than 2.3's(which this amp has run btw). If you want to get into tubes this one is the the ticket-- biasing tubes are easy,and this one hardly ever needs it,, trust me on this one,,if you are on the fence,,now is the time,, there is another one for sale elswhere for 850-895,,in nowhere near as good condition as this one,,mine looks and sounds like it just came out of the box.I ran it last week with my Citation 11 pre-amp which is solid state and was very surprised,,meaning a tube pre is not mandatory.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2010
    First the phono pre now this . . . I hate you!!!:D:p

Good luck on the sale these are beautiful sounding VTLs.
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited June 2010
    Hi George,

My older SDA SRS 2's are 4 ohm which generally pull more watts out of a solid state amp, but I'm not sure how that works with tubes. I'm guessing this amp is stable into 4 ohms, and wonder if I would get the benefit of more power with my rig.

I'll bet this would be a match made in heaven with my newly upgraded CJ-PV5 tube pre :)
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    Ask Jerry how it did with his 2.3 tl's.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited June 2010
    Hi George,

My older SDA SRS 2's are 4 ohm which generally pull more watts out of a solid state amp, but I'm not sure how that works with tubes. I'm guessing this amp is stable into 4 ohms, and wonder if I would get the benefit of more power with my rig.

I'll bet this would be a match made in heaven with my newly upgraded CJ-PV5 tube pre :)

Tubes are not about power. Tubes are about the sound. I rarely get a chance to listen to my all-tube 2-ch system, but every time I do that, I am amazed (esp. considering my Rotel/B&W HT).
    And of course, the tube amps like this one are 4-Ohm stable.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited June 2010
    Thinking about pulling the trigger....
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,660
    edited June 2010
    What is the output watts to 8 ohms?
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    Guys,, I've had some pm's,, here is the deal--I'll hold this for a rational period of time--say 30 days, we can work out the details privarely,,sorry to be an A$$hole,, but the last deal I did here never materilzed,and I do not like unfufilled commitments,, so please --serious inquiries only--if I have offended anyone,,they probabally need to be.

JH-- gimme your numbers and I'll call you
    BD
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    engtaz wrote: »
    What is the output watts to 8 ohms?

50 tube watts Roy
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited June 2010
    Just out of abject curiosity (as i'm not in a financial position to buy) -- is that 25W per side?

thanks
    -- wayne --
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited June 2010
    ViperZ wrote: »
    Tubes are not about power. Tubes are about the sound. I rarely get a chance to listen to my all-tube 2-ch system, but every time I do that, I am amazed (esp. considering my Rotel/B&W HT).
    And of course, the tube amps like this one are 4-Ohm stable.

Agreed, but watts ARE about sound quality at a given SPL.

I've tired an old Dynaco ST70 of similar design (but obviously a bit lower quality and lower wattage unit) and the sound was still wonderful, but I wanted more than the clean 75db it gave me at my 13' distant listening position.

At any rate, I'm convinced this unit would do a fine job.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,660
    edited June 2010
    50 a side
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    50 a side

yes:)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2010
    50 a side

Which will sound like way more than 50wpc from a SS amp. How can it be this hasn't sold yet. :confused:
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    madmax wrote: »
    Which will sound like way more than 50wpc from a SS amp. How can it be this hasn't sold yet. :confused:

I dunno,,I think it's a heck of a good deal,, the thing has no scratches dents,holds a steady bias,,and just plays like a champ.Got new tubes and no place to go.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    edited June 2010
    This isn't gone yet? :eek:
    ....sorry to be an A$$hole,, but the last deal I did here never materialized,and I do not like unfulfilled commitments.
    Hmmm, is it who I'm thinking of?

I might be able to work something out with you if that's the case. I'll get in touch with you about that by this weekend. BTW, I'm thinkin' about comin' down in the next couple of weeks. Been tryin' to get down there for a while but life has happened with all parties involved....
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited June 2010
    After we quit farming, daddy bootlegged government stamped whiskey and sold used cars.
    He always said "there's a butt for every seat".
    That nice amp has a home and someone will notice this ad and "come a runnin".
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited June 2010
    If I could swing it, I'd jump on this just to hear what it sounds like. I'm pining for an ST150, but it's a ways off as well.

Surely this amp will be gone soon. Bump for great deal!
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    Also-- you can use the highy discussed,,
    http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tubes&m=231062

and no,, I've not heard them yet,, but I will soon,, just throwing this out there,, sometimes you just gotta experiment ;):cool:
  • usp1
    usp1 Posts: 207
    edited June 2010
    George,

This is so tempting. Would this be a big improvement over my Rogue Audio 88?
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2010
    Good Lord, what is the hold up, this thing is going to take you to a different level, why wish your rig along with some rice made machine when this can be had, tell you what you SDA lovers, anyone who follows GD's recommendation for use that is unhappy with it, RT1 will buy it from you for what you paid, so get off the fence and get into some quality hi-fi gear.

RT1
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited June 2010
    i'd do it...if i had a buyer for my amp:p looks real nice
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited June 2010
    How would these sound with my Amazing Plats? I'm assuming they'd need a little more juice than these can provide.. but "tube" watts and "SS" watts are a foregin concept for me..

And I really do like the sound they have with my TFM-42..

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2010
    JHC, I'd bag this just because....

Unless you got some big Apogees or an Original Carver Amazing....this has PLENTY o'power...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    sda2mike wrote: »
    i'd do it...if i had a buyer for my amp:p looks real nice

eh,,, you should hear this on Jerry's stock 2b's-- ask him-- these guys are trying to tell ya'll something,,,Ted :cool:,Jesse:cool:, and Troy:cool:-- thank you kindly.
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    ho,hum,,, anyone here? I'll leave it here til Saturday
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited June 2010
    People paid that price for a freaking Onix SP3. Someone BUY THIS!!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2010
    Free bump on great VTL's.
  • george daniel
    edited June 2010
    Guys,,thank you kindly for the comments,, I think that this would have been a fantastic way to get into tubes for those that own some of the smaller SDA's,monitors and LSI's,and I'll leave it here til Sat morning and then move it over to audiogon. It's funny how our tastes change over the years,I remember powering my SDA's with GIANT sand amps of back breaking proportions, now I'm down to smaller tube amps and dipping my toe in SET,OTL and single driver circles.There is so much out there to experience,and I guess thats the fun part.There are some folks out there with 5 watt systems that are just incrediable.Enough of my ramble-- thanks all for looking.
  • robw102
    robw102 Posts: 6
    edited June 2010
    Hi,
    Do You still have the VTL 50
    Rob102