Final steps to my system

TMS
TMS Posts: 4
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am about to finish off my cars audio system but I want to make sure I have everything right so far, this is what I got going on.
HU: Alpine CDA-7873 60x4
Front Speakers: Pioneer TS-G4647 4"x 6" 2-way 20RMS 100W
Rear Speakers: Pioneer TS-A6980R 6"x 9" 4-way 80RMS 350W
Rear Amp: Alpine MRP-T130 50x2RMS 90x2W
Subs: Polk EX Series II 12" (2) 150RMS 400W

Thats where I stand as of now, and I am going to be adding an amp for my subs as soon as I get the rest of my gear right first. So, does it all look good or should I switch anything up?
And what type of amp should I look to? I am looking at a Kenwood or Pioneer 800watt as of now.

This is all going in a "98" Cavalier.
Post edited by TMS on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited June 2003
    WOW...where to start:

1) why are you amping your rears..and running your front speakers off the HU? I'm assuming this is your plan? Be better off running the 4x6's of the small alpine amp..and run the 6x9's off the HU! and get a 4 channel amp later need be....

2) How many subs do you have? 2 I'm assuming...of wich you can install..but cant run till you get an amp for them..(correct?) btw..If those subs are 150rms...the you dont need a 800w amp...you need a 300-400w RMS amp to run them. 800 will fry em quick!

all the equipent choices are fine...just the arrangement of power needs to be re-thought.
  • TMS
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the input Trapped.
    Now I need some help with picking an amp that will push my two 12" 150rms 400w peak Polk subs.
    I like the Kenwood but which class should I go for? And how much power should I give them?
    Should I get a 4 channel amp and run my 6x9's with my subs or just keep my 6x9's on the hu?
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited June 2003
    There are a couple of options ...

for now..probably running the 4x6's off the Alpine amp wich you already have and teh 6x9's off the back deck would be ideal- specialy from a price stand point! You can always add another amp to the 6x9's...or sell the alpine and get a solid 4 channel amp. All are viable options.

As far as a sub amp goes. I'd say get an RF 400w amp. This for a couple of reasons. 1) RF is pretty reliable, 2) has some resale to it 3) will actualy give you a bit of head room. Also..if you ever change subs and and sub amp..you could run some front speakers off it. (RF amp is just an example)

If your going into kenwood..then you need to go excelon..wich is pricey...I'd suggest looking at kicker, jbl,mtx, RF, autotek, Hifonics for a 400w amp. (and again..all these could be used for fronts later as long as you get a 2 channel amp)

One other option..you could do..is find a solid 4 channel amp. run the fronts off the Alpine amp, run the 6x9's off the front channels of the 4channel amp..and run the subs off the bridged other 2 channels...this is..a bit more complex..yet..another way of doing it.
  • TMS
    edited June 2003
    Now, if I went with a 4 channel amp and run the 6x9's off the front channels of the amp..and run the subs off the bridged channels won't that make my subs mono? (one sided) If thats the case then i'll get a nice 2 channel amp so they work on their own and pick up a third amp for my 6x9's. But shouldn't the front speakers have more power then the 6x9's? to even everything out.
    And I assume you are refering to a 400w x 2 amp, correct. Since my subs are 150w rms 400w peak.

Thanks for your input. :D
    I am new to all of this as you can tell.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2003
    He is refering you to a 400w (rms) amop because each sub is rated for 150w rms. That means you would be dropping approx. 200watts off at each sub, which is almost perfect to push these subs to their max!! Try not to look at audio **** by the peak wattage stuff can handle, make sure you're always tuned into the rms values!!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TMS
    edited June 2003
    So the bottom line is to supply my subs with the max rms watt or better.

Then would this be a good choice for me?
    Kenwood 800-Watt Bridgeable 2-Channel Amplifier
    with 3-Way Power Distribution
    300W peak, 150W RMS (continuous) x 2 @ 4 ohms
    Stereo, bridged-mono or tri-way output
    Selectable high- and low-pass crossovers: 50-200Hz
    Signal-to-noise ratio: 100dB
    Fan-cooled
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited June 2003
    RMS...learn it..live it...or fry it :0):D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    get a quad 4 ohm coil sub that's 160 rms and run an alpine Vdrive headunit to it that is 65 x 4 max or whatever.. u'll get like 35 x 4 rms -- thats like 140 watts.... i just wanna see if it works....

lemme know how it turns out.

-- Vinnie the Fish.

** OH MY GOD THEY --FRIED-- NEMO!!!!!!!! **

--- my comments after we go to the drive in to see "finding nemo" and 5 minutes into it the reel stops and catches fire... thursday night fish fry baby...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge