Amplifier for one MM120

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need some help, I´ve been looking for a realy good amp for my mm120. I've been looking at the memphis line, but they only have a 300 and a 750W Watt @4 ohms (the first one too small, the second one too much, I think). What do you think about the Rockford 1001bd? this one is 500W @4ohms (I could even run to MM120 with this). Thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    that amp would work and yes you could bridge it and get 1000 watts out of it
    thats what i have...well had...my amp died friday im sad to say...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    the rf 1000bd is fine for two momo's -- but for just one its a waste of money -- u will get the same if not better actually performance out of an RF power 551S -- and its half the cost of the 1000bd...

but if u do two - the 1kbd is the way to go.

running one momo off it is just ovrerkill tho -- u got htis big huge amp for one sub -- dont match up.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    Can you please explain me why is the 1001bd too much for only one momo (since Its a 500W rms just like the momo is)? I'm planning on adding onother mm120, so i think the 1001 is the way to go, as you said.
    As you can see I'm not an expert on this, thanks.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    no its not too much power.. its just too much in general for one -- look at it this way...

if you want to run one momo, u want 500 - 600 watts... now you can get the RF Power 551S or the RF 1001BD and they will both do the same power to that single 4 ohm polk momo...

now here is the difference...

PRICE -> the 1001BD costs 700 dollars / the 551S costs 400 dollars retail.

SIZE -> the 1001bd is 14 " by 10" / the 551S is 12" by 10"

WIRING -> you can use 4 gauge for the 551S at 1.50 a foot / you have to use 2 gauge for the 1001bd at 3.50 a foot (if you were only running one sub though you could run 4 gauge and just be sure the amp is never run at 2 ohms).

but no like i said -- if u intend to get a 2nd sub somewhere down the line, obviously go with the bigger amp -- but if u were only getting hte one sub -- and never getting a 2nd, then i'd get the 551S becuase its smaller, cheaper, puts out the same power.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    Thankyou all now I understand what talking about. this is what i have right now:
    -1 mm120 running of a Memphis amplifier (150X2 @4ohm 600X1)
    -1 m465 on the back runing of a MTX rated at 85W X 2 @4 ohms
    -1 Rockford FNP2514 on the front (50W rms) from the HU
    -an alpine 9815 head unit

What i see here is that i need an amlifier for the componets on the front, maybe mor power for the m465 on the back, the mm120 its ok.

To improve this, to get the best performance out of my system this is what I pan to do:

-get the rockford 1001bd for the mm120 (and get another mm120)
    -conect the m465 to the memphis amp
    -conect the rockfor components to the mtx amp (can I do this?, the amp is 85W and the speakers 50W)

I need your advice on this, is this ok?

Thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    ok, what size speakers are those up front(the rockfords)?
    if theyre the same size as the 465s then you need to switch those and put the momos in the front and the rockfords in the back
    you want your more accurate and louder speakers in the front and your "fillers" in the back
    so if you have your momos in the back rated at like 100 or 125 and your rockfords in the front rated at 50...the momos are going to take over anyways
    so it sounds better with the louder speakers up front
    the whole staging thing comes into play
    so you got your information opposite
    more power in the front...less power in the back
    go ahead and connect the memphis to the 465s(and put them in the front if at all possible)
    and just turn the gain down to the the mtx amp for the rockfords
    -Cody