paradigm or polk

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited June 2003 in Speakers
what is a better speaker in the same price range, paradigm or polk?
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you're going to look at Paradigm, I would only consider the Reference Series. I'd look at the Pdime 40's. The comparable speaker would be the LSi9's. If that's too rich for your blood, then seriously consider the RTi70's or the Monitor 7's (the 70's beat the Monitor 7's in my opinion).
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2003
    Options
    pj had some Paradigms before getting the LSi9. I think he liked the LSi more especially at louder volumes. Let's wait for him to chime in with his opinion.

Maurice
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited June 2003
    Options
    PJ's my bro. He's got the 9's in his living room and the studio 40's in the office. He loves his 9's. The Pdimes are some really good speakers, but for the environment they were in (ceramic tiles and lots of reflection surfaces, the Studio 40's had harsh highs. He moved the 40's to the office since he had carpeting in there which tamed the highs a bit and made them sound a lot better. The 9's are in the living room since they have a smoother highs with little to no harshness being a perfect mate for his environment.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Metal domes, nuff' said.

Both are stellar speakers, I've demoed both thoroughly, and I would lean towards the LSi9, but proudly own either in my humble abode.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Wow. All of the above are great responses. Right on target too. I would add that the Studio 40's metal dome tweeter is no "harsher" sounding than the dome found in the RTXXi lineup. In fact it's probably a tad bit smoother than the RT35i's I had.

The Studios are the way to go if you like Paradigm. Like Tony said they are sensitive to their environment as I have found. More efficient and easier to drive than the LSi's. The LSi's on the other hand have the fabulous Vifa tweeter...very different sounding highs and non-fatiguing. The Pdimes also have a more forward sounding midrange that I prefer but the LSi midrange is stellar too once the speakers are broken in properly.

Like it has been said many times on this forum by others, speakers are personal. You have to listen for yourself and decide. Both are great value for the money. Yes, I also agree that the lower Pdime monitor line build quality is not as good as the new RTi line.

Paul
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Bookshelfs, floorstanders, subs, what? I've got Polk. I've got Paradigm. Most likely I have different electronics than you. I love the sound of the LSi9's (I wish I had a pair), but if you're gonna drive them with a receiver or amps that can't honestly handle a 4ohm load (forget about manu specs for a minute), than they wouldn't be a viable option.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by glemay
    what is a better speaker in the same price range, paradigm or polk?

Stereophile critically tested the Polk RT25i against the Paradigm Reference 20 speaker and chose Polk. This would be Polk's mid-line compared against Paradigm's high-end.

"The Paradigm Reference/20 ($600/pair) was the only speaker in the group able to re-create realistic high-level dynamics and bass extension below 50Hz in my large room. Its high frequencies were a bit less natural than the Polk's and its midrange a little more laid-back. The Polk, however, seemed superior in the resolution of inner detail in the midrange. Finally, the Reference/20's lower-midrange/upper-bass region was the warmest of the group, and was most noticeable on piano recordings."

"And my new entry-level reference speaker is...
    The Polk RT25i has set a new benchmark for what an entry-level speaker can accomplish in many areas. Given its price and diminutive size, its few weaknesses are forgivable. It is far superior to any speaker I've heard for less than $500/pair, and has become my favorite speaker for under $1000/pair. I plan to purchase this pair for use as monitors in my home computer recording studio. "

I've personally compared the Polk RTi's to Paradigm Monitors and liked both. It is really up to your preferences.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited June 2003
    Options
    This is wierd... I was checking out some Paradigm reviews and their website this morning.

I had a chance to check out some studio 20s without a sub and it was very impressive. When I start shoping for speakers next year, I'll definetely check out the studio series.

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteReferenceProduct/RModels/StudioSeries/StudioSpecs.html
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.