Speakers & Amp

dexthageek
dexthageek Posts: 5
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just replaced the stock speakers in my celica with the EX3560 Component Set in the doors and in the rear EX365 they sound great until I turn up the volume, then they begin to crackle...

The speakers are powered by a brand new JVC HU, which unfortunately only produces around 18-20Watts RMS.

Do you think the crackling problem I am experience is a lack of power for my speakers. If so which amp do you recommend for powering the above speakers.

Thanks in Advance,

dexthageek
2000 Super White Celica GT 5sp/
Polk EX3560 Components In Front Doors/Polk EX365 In Rear/Kicker CVR12 Sub powered by Kicker 400.1 Amp
Post edited by dexthageek on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    That is exactly what it is. The crackling is a combination of the head unit's amplifier clipping and the electrical noise from the head unit's operation. That electrical noise being RF and EM interference.

I don't know the specs of those speakers so I can't really recommend an amplifier. There are plenty of good companies out there that you can pick up quality amps from for good prices. Some companies I recommend are Kenwood, Pioneer, Hifonics and so on. I'm sure others will chime in though.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dexthageek
    edited June 2003
    the speaker specs are as follow:

Polk EX3560 Components:
    100W RMS / 300W Peak

Polk EX365 Coaxial:
    60W RMS / 180W Peak

Sorry I should have posted them before

Thanks Again

Mike
    Polk EX3560 Components In Front Doors/Polk EX365 In Rear/Kicker CVR12 Sub powered by Kicker 400.1 Amp
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    In that case, I am going to recommend one of these two amps.

They have roughly the same specs and are relativly cheap for a 4 channel amp. The site I am linking to is wholesaler so that is why they are so cheap. These are 300-400 dollar amps retail. Hifonics is a nice brand, super clean and very reliable. I'm running a Z700 which is the old model of teh Z800 which is a 5 channel amp. Very stable, very clean.

I'm recommending these amps because they both come in under teh 60 watt RMS rating of the EX365's. I am going this route because my experience with the EX series I, II and III have all been that they don't like being overpowered. So at 55 watts RMS per channel, you won't be over powering them.

So here we are:

Hifonics Zeus Z440

This is a nice amp for 225 bucks but, for an extra 30 dollars more, you can get the

Hifonics Zeus Z400EL

Which has a different power supply and more stable than the other amp mentioned above. It has a lower THD rating than the one above which is a very good thing. It's also has a higher sensitivity rating. So, for a 30 dollar difference, you are getting a better amplifier. Although the Z440 is a very nice amp to begin with, think of the Z400EL as improving upon the already great Z400.

One of those two amplifiers will satisfy you just fine. However, just so I don't seem like I am pushing Hifonics, check out the Kenwood KAC-749S which is slightly under powered for your application and not as nice as the Hifonics above but it is good, clean, reliable power.

Also, you may want to check out this Soundstream PIC4.480 . It's a little flashy but I've actually heard this amplifier in person and it is quite nice and actually, a tad under-rated according to my ears. That sounded stronger than 60 watts per channel. But don't worry, 10-15 watts of over-driving, as long as it is good clean power, will not harm your spakers and you can do it safely.

Those are some amps that are middle of the road on the scale of quality. They are far from junk but, by no means the greatest that each company has to offer. Unfortunatly, your speakers are not going to be able to easily handle a higher end amplifier's power output. That is fine though. There is nothing wrong with that. We all have a budget. I started out small too. In my opinion though, the hifonics Z400EL will give you the most bang for your buck.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    wanna talk cheap (not that i'd put this amp on those speakers but just cheap)

there's a 500 dollar hifonics zemesis z8 something that's like 100 x 4 at 4 ohms rms -- and its like 250 bucks on sale!
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    Yeah i saw that one before but not for that price and it's like 2 ohm stable bridged which is like totally amazing! I do believe it's 1 ohm stable in 4 channels with an estimated power rating of 250 watts per channel. That's a 1000 watt amp for 250 bucks. Where did you see it?

• dexthageek
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the AMP recommendations, I have one question will a 60Wx4 AMP be enough for the components which have a 100RMS rating?

Thanks Again,

Mike
  • dexthageek
    edited June 2003
    I am gonna look into the soundstream I found the 4.480 at a few places online for under $200
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    youre not supposed to run less than 75% of the speakers rms power to a speaker
    which 75% of a 100 is 75
    but unless you want to buy two seperate amps then what can you do?
    so im going to say yes it will work, but im also saying that they will not work to their full potential...but if you dont like it LOUD, itll be perfect
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    Who told you that 75% rule? I've never heard that before.

I would not worry about power. A 60Wx4 amp will have plenty of power to drive those EX series speakers. They may not play as loud as they would if you have 100 watts but, since your speakers up front can't handle that much juice, you have to compromise.

• dexthageek
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for help everyone, I just installed my new Kicker CVR12 tonight and lets just say that with that running, I am really not in a hurry to get an amp for my speakers... It is plenty loud enough now. However, I am planning on getting an amp in the future to run the EX speakers

Thanks for all the help

Mike
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    youve never heard of the 75% rule?!?
    man ive heard that so many times....
    even crutchfield uses it
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    I think it's just a way to sell more expensive amps.

The RMS and Peak ratings are teh speaker's maximum limits. 75% would most likely yeild the best performance but should not be taken as gospel. If it was the Crutchfield never would have let my dad run the Polk EX II's 6x8's and JBL GTO 6x8's off of his head unit. Both speakers take 60 watts of power or more and they are running on 44 watts of deck power.

On top of that, I have several speakers that I have run for years on power that was 40% of the RMS value and have not had any problems and have not experienced any degredation in speaker life or performance.

Hell, I have a pair of 30+ year old KLH 17's rated at 12 watts minimum running off of an 8 watt per channel tube amp that I built myself and it sounds damn good. Super clean too.

I thin the 75% deal is just a guideline and I'd take it only as that. Especially since most aftermarket speakers can handle a sizeable amount of power. 75% of RMS power out of the amp is going to make for a pretty expensive amp that will not fit everyones budget. Feeding a speaker a good clean signal and good clean power is a billion times better than feeding it piles of cheap, dirty power, just to reach that 75% RMS value.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    jstas -- the nemesis was at sounddomain on price slash...

another phat amp isthe one i got --- phoenix gold octane-R does 80 x 4 at 4 ohms for 249 bucks price slashed (400 something normal).

far as speaker rms -- its all hooey to me unless its subs -- subs usually are within their spec -- but highs -- hel l depends on the size of the speaker, music you're playing, your crossover points, and the quality of amp you use...

i am pushing the limit of deafness with almost 200 x 2 on my fronts -- which are only rated like 65 or some crap rms -- and 50 or 60 on my rears which are rated at 80 rms -- its all subjective... once i got a better amp for my fronts i noticed that instead of not being able to do 180 - they could now do almost 200.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge