Digital Video Essentials (2003) HD

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited June 2003 in Music & Movies
I have been out for awhile - need not explain why - some know.
But I do like to check in once and awhile. Wanted you guys to know. The new DVE will be out July 15. Three years in the making it is the first to be truely progressive mastered in 1080i/p. Test signals for EX & ES and much more for only $25.00 - half of the original.
But
to my amazement only found in the new Playboy and errrr the actual tv spot the other night - Artisan is putting out a new DVD LINE called Extreme DVD with 1080p 24fps HD Digital Master (first one up Terminater 2 and it comes out this Tuesday.) I will be firing up the projector and be checking this baby out- I mean were talking twice the current progessive/interlased scan picture quality. That will be very cool on the 8 footer. LATER
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• scottvamp
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Link to Amazon preorder
    DVE 2003
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2003
    Options
    aka:thread killer
    No HD big screens/front projectors in da house!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I must be on Polk.:eek:
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!:D
    Bueller - - - Bueller - - - Anyone
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    It's about effin' time VE finally coughed this one up. I'll be buying it and adding it to my Avia disc.

Thanks for the heads up Scott.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    Artisan is putting out a new DVD LINE called Extreme DVD with 1080p 24fps HD Digital Master

Without a player that is capable of processing the data, seems like a waste of money. Last time I checked, no one was selling any HD-DVD players yet. Maybe I'm wrong.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Without a player that is capable of processing the data, seems like a waste of money. Last time I checked, no one was selling any HD-DVD players yet. Maybe I'm wrong.
    You do not need an "HD-Player" it is mastered on the disc (24fps HD Digital Master) but you do need an HD monitor and a progressive scan player. Which are both common in the mordern HT world.
  • Frank Z
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    You do not need an "HD-Player" it is mastered on the disc (24fps HD Digital Master) but you do need an HD monitor and a progressive scan player. Which are both common in the mordern HT world.

Bare with me on this one, I'm not sure I follow you. Earlier you posted this...
    DVD with 1080p 24fps HD Digital Master

As far as I know progressive scan players are only capable of serving up 480p. I just don't see how you can get 1080p out of a 480p player. What am I missing here?

BTW, I do know what modern HT's contain, drop the sarcasam for a minute and talk to me like an equal, okay. I have not been bashing you, your gear, or your family. So please extend the same courtesy to me that you expect for yourself from others.
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2003
    Options
    BTW - not at all being sarcastic - WOW!
    I just saying you need both to get the 1080i/p.
    Like I said the disc contains 1080. Till now 480p/i was the best.
    Newer DVDs hold more information and new software "machines"
    can produce the images. 1080 is not top of the line HD - not sure how high but it does go even higher.
    The main reason why this is all coming out is more space and the technilogy is catching. Actually a tech company HAS produced "HD-DVD's" without going to another player. And so the battle continues. On my projection system it will be as easy as picking the picture quality I want when I play these new disc.
    Ny projector has a built-in line doubler as well as my progressive DVD player. Like I said I will have to SEE if it will actually give a 1080i/p but this is what Artisian and DVE both claim.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited June 2003
    Options
    an old JVC of mine did 525p for some reason
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I bought the T2 today and I will let you guys know if I get a true 1080p as they claim and how it looks. If not I WILL be writting Artisian and bitching.
  • Ceruleance
    edited June 2003
    Options
    how much did that set you back?
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2003
    Options
    To my surprise it was only $19.77 at Wal-Mart. And it even comes in a impressioned metal slip case. It looks very cool.
    Even has an actual mastered 16 minutes of unreleased footage.
    According to Artisan it is suppose to have the best picture and sound quality of ANY dvd on the market. Will fill you in!!!
  • Ceruleance
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Great, please do, although I think I will have to take your advice solely for the merit of future Artisan releases, as it's terribly hard to justify two copies of a DVD. and T2 isn't even one of my favorite movies.
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I agree with you on both points but I have yet to get a copy of the movie - so I said what the heck.
    Anyway I just watched it - my projecter does not have a"1080p"
    only an 1080i. If I shut down the progressive I my be able to get just the interlaced version in 1080 - but that is a long shot. I believe the dvd was setup to run at a normal 480p BUT have a much clearer image. Soooo the picture quality is unbelieveable and so is the sound. With no question it is now one the best reference dvd's in my collection. You can tell the Artisan dropped so serious doe for this. Even the THX trailer was made special for the movie.
    As a side note I rented Animatix. WOW!!!!
    I WILL be buying that one - nuf said. :D
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited June 2003
    Options
    What is the maximum resolution for projector's? I think LCOS is the only TV out there that has 1080p (the toshiba model). I'm not too sure though
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Depends on the projector - most are setup for computers and can display very high resolutions. I believe mine has 2 modes 50/60 at 1080i. Really depends on the source also.
  • Frank Z
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I asked around at DVDFile.com about this movie being in HD. Here's a link for anyone that's interested.
    http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=367544#post367544
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Frank:

You nailed it in that other forum - our current crop of DVD players are not capable of playing a true high def DVD.

The standard version on the Extreme might be slightly better than the PQ on the Ultimate, but I doubt it's worth it.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Frank Z
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I thought this sounded flaky, I won't be getting this one either. I've already got the previous Super Mega, Extravagant Directors Cut, Ultimate Limited Special Edition. I'm not going to get suckered into buy v.2!:D
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited June 2003
    Options
    On the other hand, a xbox with a mod chip can output 480p/720p/1080i...

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest