Best compliment ever!

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was at a local hamburger joint to get something to eat a friend pulled up with his wife. He said that the wife has authorized funding to install a stereo in his minivan because he uses it for commuting and work purposes. He's a CPA and he use it to haul around client records and stuff. He spends alot of time in it.

Anyway, we started talking about stereo stuff for his car and it occurred to me that he never got a decent demo of the stereo in my truck. Now this guy is an HT buff but always thought of car stereos as the "boom boom, I don't like my fillings or kidneys so I abuse them with my stereo" kind of stereos.

I demoed my truck's stereo to him and after about 20-30 minutes of wowwing and oogling, he says to me "That has to be the closest sound to a live performance I have ever heard come from a car stereo! Hell, for alot of home stereos too! That must have cost you a pretty penny!"

When I tol him it only ran me about 1800 bucks, he was stunned. Then I told him was was in it and he couldn't believe it.

Needless to say, he said that if I would help him out with his minivan and his Corvette, he'd give me free tax consultation for like the rest of my life. Cool beans!

Anyway, when he said "...closest sound to a live performance I have ever heard..." I was tickled pink! That was my goal and I thought I achieved it. It's just nice to hear a guy who is totally opposed to car stereos say it too and be so enamoured with it that he wants the same kind of thing in his car!

I'm pretty stoked now too!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited June 2003
    Good demo Jstas, you should sell tickets :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    now if only you can get a woman to say "my god that's the closest thing to sex i've ever felt!!!" upon demo-ing your audio system... hell ... i'd have u rebuild my truck at that point. :)

hehe -- but congrats -- i know you're really proud of your sys and its about time u got some credit for it in person :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    I already put a stereo together for my girlfriend and when she heard it for the first time, she just about creamed her pants. All the next day and for like a week and a half after that I was getting called at work constantly by her telling me about every frend who listened to it wanting me to "hook up thier car with a phat system yo!" But none of them wanted to fork over the cash for the proper equipment.

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    what kind of truck do you have and what all do you have in it?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    i had some b*tch tell me "hey can u hook me up with a system? i've got 300 dollars... all my friends got them for 250, can u get me good stuff for 300?" --- i replied with "i might be able to get you wire for 300 -- thats about it".
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    the wiring in my truck cost $210...probably add another 75-100 for when i rewire it
    lol
    so yeah 300 is about right
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    what kind of truck do you have and what all do you have in it?
    -Cody

I have a pickup truck. Standard cab, short bed.

The list of stuff is:
    - Kenwood eXcelon PS-955 head unit
    - Kenwood 10 disc CD Changer
    - Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X650D 5 channel amplifier
    - Polk db3065 component system 6.5 inch speakers
    - Polk db6510 component 6.5 inch speakers
    - Polk db10 component 10 inch subwoofer

I cut custom mounting brackets from sheet aluminum to cover the holes mount the 6.5 inch speakers.

The front speakers are wired with Streetwires twisted 12 guage speaker wire. It was expensive but I ran out of other wire so I did the front speakers with that stuff. The rears are wired with standard Streetwires 12 guage wire. The patch cables are Streetwires Zero Noise 6.0 wires in 11.5 or 12 foot lengths, I can't remember. I have a 4 guage power wire running to the amp. It's only pulling 60 amps so the 4 guage is just fine. Power wire came from Scosche (sp?)

That's it. Pretty simple setup but it sounds great and is capable of playing loud enough to make you lose balance. It's not a bass monster but that isn't what I wanted. It's crystal clear, extremely accurate and will play the full range of sound very loudly. So loudly that I have the gains set a little lower than they should be so I don't go damaging my hearing.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    "So loudly that I have the gains set a little lower than they should be so I don't go damaging my hearing."

Real men go deaf -- so they dont have to hear their wives complaining.

Scosche actually makes really good stuff. I'm not too fond of their patch cables but they've got some of the nicest power wire / distro blocks / batt terminals, etc etc, taht i've seen in a while.

that and they're good enough to make dash kits that are just as good as metras for only 6 dollars each!!!!! instead of 20.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    what kind of truck?
    chevy...gmc...ford...dodge...etc?
    sounds like a great system...all "Db"ed out
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    what kind of truck?
    chevy...gmc...ford...dodge...etc?
    sounds like a great system...all "Db"ed out
    -Cody

I cannot divulge that information. It's....uh...classified! Yeah! That's it! Classified!

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2003
    here's the dl on metra markup
    *my sources shall remain confidential*

$10 antena extension cable =$1.75

$17 Metra Kit, or harness = about $2-3

MARK UP ON ANY ACCESORY IS HUGE AND CAR AUDIO IS EVEN WORSE

MTX 1501D retail= 700 --- cost to distributor = 350

most head units are approx %40 off at cost
    most speakers are approx %50-50 off at cost
    most amps are approx %40-60 off at cost

just a fun little tidbit for everybody installing and annoyed about the cost of equip

bty all that ever so expensive cable you buy is about %60 off at cost ;p

have fun :D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    well i only paid 350 for my 81000D's so i'm glad about that...

i buy everything on "scam" -- lol.

and hey john -- what is it -- a toyota??? dont feel bad -- i like 'yota tundras.
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    No, there are very few Japanese cars I would like to own and only 2 of them are Toyotas and none are trucks. The Japanese cannot build a truck. No way, no how.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    dude that tundra is pretty mean -- lexus engine and all -- lotsa horse, nice acceleration, enough torque to get you through snow and/or mud.

and its smaller -- its the size of 80's american pickups (pre-'pickups on steroids' era stuff ya know).

of all the foreign stuff -- only ones i like (would buy) are...

1- 'yota tundra
    2- an audi 2 dr.
    3- 2000 nissan maxima 4 dr w/ out the bose sys (or equivelant infiniti)
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    Tundra? Mean? You gotta be kidding me! It doesn't even fit a 4x8 sheet flat in the bed. It doesn't have nearly as much grunt as the Big 3 trucks. The cabs are smaller too. It can pull alot of weight but it doesn't do it quickly at all.

It's a truck but it's not an American truck. People may think American cars are crap and that's fine, let then, I don't care. But nobody can build a truck like an American truck. And that is a truck of ANY size. From a measly Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 all the way up to a Peterbilt or Kenworth or Mack truck.

As for my truck, I'm not going to say. Everybodt here has already expressed great displeasure at my kind of truck so I'd rather not say.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its ok -- we still love you :D
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    lol....vince you beat me to it
    and some tundras are made in the us!
    but the designs are still made in japan or where ever
    ill be happy when i have a hummer
    a hummer...not those new crappy h2's
    chevy took a perfectly good SUV and turned it into a damn POS
    the new avalanches look kind of nice though....they dont have all that plastic crap at the bottom anymore
    i like the look of the tundras and they were car and drivers "4wd" of the year but ive had no personal experience with one so i couldnt tell you
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    well i just kinda like had a tundra catch my eye when a cube van slammed into the side of the bed (like T boneing the bed) at 20 miles an hour ... the cube van was a mess -- the tundra looked like **** but it was able to be driven 70 mph over 6 hours to the main office for repair...

sweet leather trim, beautiful dashboards -- i meanthe dashboards are almost artistic -- a little improvement and i'd say it was of equal 'coolness' as an american truck.

H2's ugly as sin, i agree... H1 = diesel = better = runs for 400,000 miles.... H2 = gas = suburban with new body panels = runs for 200,000 at best.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    I heard they could only assemble like 8 a day(The old hummers), does that have any truth to it being that it wasnt a huge company and most everything was done by hand?
    With the old hummer, GM could say their diesel was in the most bad **** SUV ever made...that shouldve been enough...lol
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    OK fine, you wanna make fun of me for a Ford? OK, laugh all you want.

This is my Ford:

truck2.gif

Whose laughin' now ****?

Wanna race?

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh

i want one. :)

thats one hell of a pretty truck... are those stock rims? they sorta look stock but they look nicer though, the design i have no ever seen before on a ford truck, yet the color would indicate stock -- either way --- they look sweeat as hell.

is that a factory drop in suspension(ie. the lightning or something like that, it look slike lightning badging on the side but i dont have the best eyes) or did u do that yourself to a straight up F150?

i like the bottom body molding, love the bumper, i'd throw a pair of bed rails on their too -- chromey chrome chrome.

i'm envious of your standard cab - they sound better than x-cabs - they're more fun to drive too, a lot more fun.

on a side note i think u've got better race tires than most sports cars...lol. what are those? 255/45or50/R(17 or 18) ??

i'm still pickin on ford, but i absolutely love your truck. :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    i just noticed the side exit exhaust in front of the rear wheel -- (i'm jealous)
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    It's a 2001 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning. There is nothing done to the truck in that picture, it's bone stock. That was taken the day after I got it. The only things I have done to the truck are the stereo, of course, a hard shell tonneau cover and a trailer hitch cover that lights up with a red Ford symbol when I hit the brakes.

The wheels are stock. That is it's stock ride height. The bumper cover is stock, so are the bars in the grille. 2001 was the first year for those whees, the crystal lens headlights and corner lights and it has clear tailights stock too. The side exhaust is stock as is the body kit/ground effects.

No chrome bed rails because of the tonneau cover. The bed has a Bedrug bedliner and the hard cover is also lined with the same carpet as the Bedrug.

The tires are 295/45/ZR-18 Goodyear Eagle F1's. They are Zw rated to 149+ MPH. They are 10 inches wide and 28.8 inches tall. Under the hood is teh stock 5.4L V8 which is underrated from the factory at 380 horses and 450 pound feet of torque. It has a 2.0L intercooled Eaton Roots style blower on top pushing 8 pounds of boost. Lightning owners are estimating power to be closer to 400 rather than the 380 and torque output is about 450-460 pound feet. It has 3.73's out back in a Limited Slip rear.

It'll run through the 1/4 mile in about 13.6-13.8 seconds at 103-108 MPH. It runs to 60 in just over 5.2 seconds. The factory says 5.5 but everyone I know has gotten to 60 in about 5.2-5.3 seconds. Including the magazines. It'll pull .87 G's on a skidpad and can stop from 60 mph in about 120-125 feet. That stopping distance bests a Mustang Cobra by 15 feet.

It weighs in at just over 4600 pounds. It'll hold 800 pounds in the bed but I've had more than that without a huge problem. It'll tow 5,000 pounds with a 1500 pound tongue weight. But the limitation is the springs because the 03 Lightnings will hold 1250 pounds and tow 7500 pounds and the only change is tighter sprung leafs in the rear.

• sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas

Whose laughin' now ****?

Wanna race?
    put 2600 lbs in the bed...ill race you
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    I still have twice as much power. Even if they weighed the same, I'd still beat you.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    hmm -- ok -- how bout -- we hitch the lightning to a tractor trailer that's in reverse -- then, we race u.... haha! see you lose!

*chuckle* :) i really do love that truck.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    lol...that is a SWEET truck though
    i saw a new chevy ss truck the other day and it was really nice...not sure what kind of engine it has but im sure the lightning is faster based mainly on i think the ss is more like a luxury than a speed demon truck
    i have a 5.7 L 3/4 GMC...so ill put 2600lbs in my bed and you put 2600 lbs in your bed...and you dont have twice as much power...mine comes stock somewhere like 285 horses...along those lines
    but man i bet that truck handles like a dream
    the fx4's are nice too...id rather have a z71..but at least the fx4's have more of a "true" 4wd since you have to lock the hubs...but i guess that debate could go either way cuz u dont have to get out of a z to put it in 4wd...whatever floats your boat i guess
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    ... i still wanna see specs on the SRT-10 ram... my only issue with it is I'm betting its a "poser" of a ride -- I haven't been too keen on the 'srt' models of any of the mopar stuff... it all tends to be overpriced in the end.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    I was driving one day not too long ago and i pulled behind this nice size trailer with mopar stickers on it...look like it was carrying some kind of race car...pulled up beside it...pulling it was a 2002 model 1 ton dually 4wd chevy...i wish i wouldve had a camera
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    *grumble grumble grumble* :(

no love for mopar ....lol