08 Hummer H3 system

Options
wet_rat
wet_rat Posts: 3
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Newbie to the site, hoping to get some assistance with my plans. I have an 08 Hummer H3 w/o the Monsoon system. I just purchased a Valor Nav unit
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12146_Valor+NVG-720W.html

Was considering the MM6501 for the fronts and MM651 for the rears. I have read alot about rear speakers being unnecessary, but want some opinions.
I just bought 100' of 50mil dynamat for the doors and rear cargo area.

I have a line on a great deal for a Kicker CVX 12, sealed 2.0 cubic foot 32hz box pushed by Hifonics HFI 1000D: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HIFONICS-HFI1000D-HFI-1000D-MONOBLOCK-AMPLIFIER-/230448364672?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item35a7cafc80

Where I need help is in the sub install. I have never used a cap and don't know if I actually need one--HELP????

Any opinions on the set up would be great--I'm clueless when it comes to tuning a system but I guess I'll address that once I get it installed.
Post edited by wet_rat on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You might have a little dimming, but you dont really need a cap. Having 'the big 3' done is a lot more beneficial and is cheaper.

My only advice is send that valor unit back and get a good radio instead. For $65 more you can get this:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19739_Pioneer+AVIC-X910BT.html

and it'll look a ton better because its a double din instead of a flip out.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The big 3? Might want to explain that. The big 3 typically refers to the big 3 automakers. No relation to what you're talking about though. I will assume it means battery, alternator and wire. Correct me if i'm wrong please as i really don't know.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • exalted512
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The big 3? Might want to explain that. The big 3 typically refers to the big 3 automakers. No relation to what you're talking about though. I will assume it means battery, alternator and wire. Correct me if i'm wrong please as i really don't know.

http://tinyurl.com/2wvp52n
    :p:p
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thanks, that was very helpful. And SOB i need to buy another $60 fuse block. :(
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • wet_rat
    edited May 2010
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    My only advice is send that valor unit back and get a good radio instead. For $65 more you can get this:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19739_Pioneer+AVIC-X910BT.html

I have done a ton of research on the nav units and the Valor is he ONLY one I found that had all the capabilities I was looking for and I just happen to run across a new one on ebay that I stole for $285 so I'll be content with it for awhile.

I WILL do the "BIG 3" as soon as my wire gets here. Ran across 20' of 0 gauge on ebay for $20

I read good reviews about the Pioneer units and was going to buy that exact unit but the steel on the Valor sealed the deal for now
  • exalted512
    edited May 2010
    Options
    All I can say is you get what you pay for.
    -Cody
  • wet_rat
    edited May 2010
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    All I can say is you get what you pay for.
    -Cody

have you owned a Valor? Have you read any reviews? There are alot of electronics on the market that people know nothing about because they don't have a "name" on them". If there are ALOT of good reviews on a product how can you turn your nose up at it?
  • exalted512
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Because I've personally installed over 10 of their navigation units;)
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Sounds like somebody is a little ****.

Now Cody, be nice. Not all of us can afford to shop for electronics in those snooty mail order catalogs with those big prices!

Especially when JCWhitney has stuff that is just as good for half the price!

wet_rat, do yourself a favor and learn to be happy with what you got. If you don't want to hear what others think about your purchases or deal with the advice that comes from those people then don't discuss your purchases. Either that or learn some humility.

It's not about what you buy for anyone, even Cody. It's about what makes you happy. If you can get a Valor unit for a price that fits your budget and has the features you want, then good for you. Telling people that this item really is great, especially those with years more experience, both professional and amateur, than you, is just going to get you not so hot responses.

Now, my advice is install the Valor unit and deal with it for a while. Save your wampum and get yourself something snazzier in the future. An easy way to get the extra cash sooner is tell family and friends that what you want for B-Day, Christmas, Hanukkah or whatever is to give you cash in lieu of the gifts. You'll have a hot rod head unit in no time.

Trust me, the head unit is the last place you want to skimp. You get yourself a good head unit and good interconnects and you'll be able to throw any amps and/or speakers behind it and get favorable results. Even if it's not the most pleasing to you.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!