Need Advice(new to car audio)

Options
castilloa08
castilloa08 Posts: 1
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright im new to car audio and new to this forum. I'm looking for advice about what amp/sub size to get for my 03 honda accord lx. As of right now i have a Kenwood KDC-X492 head unit, PA500.4 amp, DB691 Rears, and DB6501. Im looking for something that will hit good but nothing to crazy. any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Post edited by castilloa08 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited May 2010
    Options
    For the sub, go with a DB series sub. If you can cram a 12" in the trunk without much problem, go with that. Otherwise, get a 10". An 8 inch sub is really a compromise for space considerations.

If you're not looking for big boom, a single sub will do. The DB series is fairly efficient and sensitive so it won't really need big power either. You can get a dual voice coil (DVC) sub too if you want but for a novice, I'd recommend a single voice coil (SVC) sub of the 4 ohm variety.

For power, get the PA400.1. It will keep everything looking the same and since they are all part of the same lines of speakers and amps, they will be voiced similarly.

Adding a pre-fab box from like Q-Logic or whatever Crutchfield is selling these days plus an amp wiring kit and you should be able to get out of it for less than $400.

Oh, for space reasons, I'd get a sealed enclosure for the sub. They are smaller and more accurate in sound reproduction versus ported enclosures which can get boomy and not perform as well. Ported enclosures really need to be custom built to get the proper performance out of them. Sealed enclosures are much more forgiving in that respect and much better of an option for a novice.

Also, if you are new, use Crutchfield. You may pay a little more but the support and customer service they have is rivaled by none and they are an authorized Polk dealer. For a novice, that will pay dividends. When I first started out I bought alot of stuff from them. The help they provided when I had a stupid question or screwed something up was invaluable.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2010
    Options
    How much you looking to spend?

The DB2122 would be awfully nice. Sounds great and hits like a ton of bricks. Youd need an amp capable of around 700 watts at 2 ohms mono.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D