The Recruit

Options
reeltrouble1
reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
edited June 2003 in Music & Movies
Very minor if any plot spoilers.

Rented this disc last night, been mulling it over today, so I suppose that says something of my impressions to start with.

Pacino is his typical self in this movie. Now I like Pacinio, enjoy his facial and verbal expressions. The movie is done in THX and DTS. I enjoy these and felt the mix took good advantage of it with clear crisp dialoge that the Re-eq from my system handles very well. I did not notice an overabundance of bass from the lfe and thought they might have put a little more in, but was watching with the wife and that means no more than -15 from 75db reference, so maybe I missed a little, now ithere is bass cause I heard a new rattle coming from somewhere behind me that drove me nuts on several scenes.

I am not going to talk about my impressions of the tranfer since I do not think my player can do it justice, but this will change next week when I get the dv 47Ai hooked with those Transparent component wires Mantis had. But lets just say that I thought it was OK visually. There were some great close up scenes with Pacino and the others.

The story was entertaining and this is a long film, wife did say "Pacinio went on and on" for me this was great for her well I guess like me he's getting old. I was a little disappointed with the ending thought they could of done a better job.

Definetly worth the rental fee, maybe a purchase if you really like Pacinio. I have a little expertise in the subject matter and can say parts of it were right on with others being a stretch, but it is a movie. This is the first film ever done at "The Farm" but I do not want to give anything away. There is the obligatory sex scene but it is light compared to many out there now. If you got the idea that for me Pacino made the movie you would be right without him not much there.

Overall I would say 7 outta 10.
Post edited by reeltrouble1 on

Comments

• STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yeah Reeltrouble on the DTS end the more I turned the volume up the more sounds seemed to show up or come forward. Good soundtrack.Vocals were very clear and I didn't notice a lot of fake sound effects you get on a lot of sound tracks these days. Dvd looked great...one of the clearer, more detailed movies I have seen in a while. One of the first ones I have seen in a while that didn't try some unappealing effect in a while.
    I agree with you, story was pretty good, most of the scenes took a little longer than needed too...more could have been on the cutting room floor. I don't know why, but about a little over half way into the movie, I had a pretty good idea how it was going to end.
    Not the best, but one of the better movies I have seen in a while. I really haven't felt there were too many great movies out there lately. Would definately be a good rental.
    My 2 Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Good review. Agreed, the ending ruined it for me. Otherwise it had good tension and pacing.

There was pretty deep/strong bass in a few parts, possibly deeper than the 450 can dig, especially at low volumes.

As for the transfer PQ, I liked it. There is a pretty huge thread over at HTF about the aspect ratio of the DVD being different than the movie. I think it's NBD, but many HTF members kinda went gonzo over it.

Soundtrack was very nice, vocals clear and forward, dynamic range excellent on gunshots, and good surround effects.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    just returned this movie today, We liked it alot, quite a twist at the end .. sounded good,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Fun movie but not one to own. The story lacked great diolog. Ending not a surprize.