A question for folks over 50...

2»

Comments

• TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2010
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    It's not just the over 50 thing. It's anyone making a decent buck.
    Everything is going to India, or to the cheapest labor here. They really like
    kids just out of college. As soon as they get experience, they're gone, and they hire more greenies.
    You are right, Oversea cheap labor doesn't help either.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    A simple question for the working folks that like me are 50 years of age and over;

At this phase of your life do you feel that you are still markettable (still easy to find a job) or do you feel somewhat uneasy when job searching?

Personnally, I know my experience and knowledge is a double blade since it is appealing for an employer but also might be scrary for the employer since he realize that there is a cost for that experience and that maybe the employer would ratter employ a young lad with less experience which he wouldn't have to worry about paying top dollar for the employe.

There is another factor that makes me a little uneasy, I worried that the employer might think it is best to hire a young strong employe ratter than an older one (I am talking about the physical aptitude).

So, the end result is I kind of tend to stick with the present comfortable position rather than seeking new challenges (which in reality is more who I am).

Any comments, experience or fear you want to share?

Cheers!
    TK
    My OP clearly shows my un-easyness toward job searching at over 50 and it seems next week I might have the chance to experience if this is an unnecessary worry or if my fear is justified ;)
    shack wrote: »
    You are missing the point. I may value doing a job more than the market says it is worth in terms of compensation. The "some things are more important than money" aspect. If it is a job that I enjoy tremendously, gives me great satisfaction, meets my needs intellectually/emotionally, etc but does not pay as much as I could make doing another job...I might be willing to work way below my monetary market value. In other words, I am valuing the job more than the market does.
    I might have a chance to sample such decision making maybe next week ;)
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Ok, I get your point now and I agree with such as this is what I'd like to be able to do eventually. Now at some point in your life is while doing what you are passionate is so important the money aspect also has some priorities. For example unless one's home-house is fully paid for, RRSPs requirements met, dets and any other money concerned are taken care then the money aspect has to be considered at potentially as big of a priority than the love for the job. A few thousand a year of pay cut isn't too bad if you consider piece of mind that a job you love provides however, considering a job that pays let's say half of the hearnings might not cut it if your money goals-planning isn't yet all accomplished.

Now, this is still good food for tought because being on medical leave get me to experience lower income as I figure I loose about a 1000$ a month and yet I haven't really experienced much financial stress (less expenses related to work, paying lower % of tax, less stress might just make up and balance for the actual lost) (thank God I can actually rely on a mini military pension)

Cheers!
    TK
    Odd, I did some planning yesterday in reference the money and mortgage aspect and today I spend a good portion of my time on the road implementing what I tought would be my best move and then came back home and had a pleasing message in my voice mail :cool:

Being sick and hospitalised and on medical leave for the last 4 months I have been rethinking my present situation and that led me to actually discretely applying for a new job.

When I originally sent my resume to the potential employer I tought my chances where doomed sinced the requirement had slightly changed sinced the previous Friday. Still I sent my resume but never heard anything from the employer. I tought maybe they had already found a candidate for the position (you snooze you looze) but that didn't stop me from sending my resume again (I didn't have anything to loose and potentially everything to gain).

Again, no response from the potential employer and therefore I just took for granted that I was going back to my actual job and actually emailed the owner telling him that I was expecting to be back at work in early June (as discussed and agreed with both family Dr. and the Dr. that performed the surgery on me).

This is odd, I have to get back to work in a couple weeks since the financial coverage for the medical leave is over next week and while I wasn't too sure if my return to my present job was desirable I get this phone call (totally unexpected at this point) asking me if I am still interested in the job :cool:

I left a message back stating that I am still interested and willing to talk about it on next Monday (I knew human ressources were gone for the weekend). Now, all I need is an interview, widom and discernment as it seems I will more likely have to make a decision... There are good points leading the decision toward the new job: less than 4 kms from home (15 to 20 minutes in traffic versus 1 to 1,5 hours). The position while giving me resposibilities also provide me with control over some of the decision making (supervisory job). Will it offer me the lattitude, trust and respect my present job has provided me for the past 6 years? This will definitely be part of my decision. Who ever believes in the power of prayer, I welcome you to pray for wisdom and discerment in my decision making.

Odd, an interview for that job seems to be going in my favor because the start date is suppose to be on Monday 31st and they haven't found the proper candidate yet (gets me seriously thinking).

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited May 2010
    TK, reading over your above post takes me back about 10 years. I was working for the company I work for now. Due to some family concerns, I quit and took a job for half of what I was making. I stayed at the company for five years and it was the happiest time at work I've ever had.

You have a military retirement as I do, so we are fortunate to have that lattitude in choosing a job. I returned to my original company again for a different reason and hate every minute of it.

Do what feels right to YOU! At this point in life, it is not about the money anymore. When I was younger raising kids, it was ALL about the money. Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.

By the way, working for half wages made me appreciate more of the simpler things in life and wish I could return to that!

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for sharing this Hawkeye :cool:

...reading over your above post takes me back about 10 years. I was working for the company I work for now. Due to some family concerns, I quit and took a job for half of what I was making. I stayed at the company for five years and it was the happiest time at work I've ever had.

I actuakky left the military in 1995 for similar reasons. Being a single father it was for the best of both my sons (they were in their early teen age when I got out) it was a hard decision career wise since I was moving toward the cream of my technical field (I was an equipment instructor and therefore teaching new technicians). However, I never regretted the move since both my sons deserved it and they make me so proud of them today :)

You have a military retirement as I do, so we are fortunate to have that lattitude in choosing a job. I returned to my original company again for a different reason and hate every minute of it.

Yes, a small pension since I di not do a full career at least provide for the mortgage and a portion of the property taxes and therefore does give me small cushion to rely on when hard times and rainy days come by.

Do what feels right to YOU! At this point in life, it is not about the money anymore. When I was younger raising kids, it was ALL about the money. Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.

I definitely relate to that, as a single father I had to paddle big time to make ends meet and make sure my sons were properly taken care of.

By the way, working for half wages made me appreciate more of the simpler things in life and wish I could return to that!

Yes, at some point in life you really want to go back in time to your roots and simply enjoy work and take the time to enjoy life at the same time. To be honest I'd be willing to take a pay cut and potentially work a 4 days week which would allow me to spend more time with both of my sons and make sure both grand sons have the opportunity to get to know their grand father and enjoy some time with them before I get called back if you know what I mean :)

Thanks for Sharing ;)
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited May 2010
    Wow TK, reading that gave me goosebumps! I quit to be around my four kids. Two boys and two girls. I was working about 200 miles from them and only saw them on the weekends. My boys started getting unruly with my wife and it was time for me to man up and be the dad no matter the cost. I'm glad I did for their sake. Now they are two people I can be proud of. I can't take all the credit, my wife was the backbone of the family while I was gone and she desreves the credit for our kids!

I went back to work for the original company to be able to help support my kids. There were some medical issues with grand kids I could not allow to go uncorrected. Then a couple got laid off due to our wonderful economy :D After spending 21 years in the service and always being gone, I felt the need to help them. I had the knowledge and skill to make good money even though it was not what I wanted to do.

Now that they are pretty much on their own feet, it dosen't make sense to me to quit now. I get to buy all kinds of junk!

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited May 2010
    The old "stop and smell the roses" way of thinking. I like it. When your young,raising a family,you have to get it, work like a dog, but as you get older,wiser, kids are grown,chaseing that all mighty dollar is no longer a top priority. You want the time, to spend with the kids,grandkids,travel,whatever floats your boat. Now from my experiences today,and my wife's, less and less people are willing to work hard,to "get it", to do what it takes. They seem to have this entittlement mentality that the promotion should be given to them not because of performance,but because it is their "time" or their skin pigmentation. They want everything the older generation has,now. I guess that explains why the credit card people are making a killing on these people. Me personnaly ? Yeah,I can relax a bit,not as much as I would like though. Kids are gone,grandkids are popping up,can now afford to travel alittle more. I'm diggin' the age I'm at. This discussion reminds me of the old saying..."are you working to live,or living to work?" I guess that can be turned around depending on your age bracket.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable