Best Bang for the Buck Battery or Electric Trimmers?

Options
TECHNOKID
TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
edited May 2010 in The Clubhouse
Very interesting back in 2008, daboys started a thread on gas hedge trimmers. Since it doesn't cover battery and electric trimmers thus the reason for this thread.

I have used some cheap and medium quality electric ones in the past and I wasn't impressed at all. The main pain always seemed to be the string mecanism which often would fail to work appropriately.

Now my main reason for considering electric and-or battery operated are a bad back and recent operation that makes me aware that I am slowly aging and I need lightweight and efficient tools. Even cranking the gaz lawn mower gets to be a pain at times.

Yet, I am aware of the workx battery operated trimmer type but when it come to battery operated however, I wouldn't mind having feed back from someone that already uses it and can provide me with honest feedback. If anyone knows or uses any other brands of battery operated trimmers let me know what you suggest and the reason for choosing. However if battery trimmers are not yet up to par then I am also looking for electric options even if...

I am not too keen about electric ones but I am convinced there are good proven ones out there that have good rating from users and therefore are worhtwhile mentionning.

If anyone has CR info would also be much appreciated.

Please avoid comments on any gaz ones since there is already a thread for that type and has I mentioned, the first requirement is light weight which however must be of good quality (reliable). Thank you in advance for your help :D

Cheers! :cool:
TK
DARE TO SOAR:
“Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
Post edited by TECHNOKID on

Comments

• TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I posted little late in the evening... tomorrow is another day... hopefully I'll find some positive info on this thread sometime tomorrow :cool:

Good night all! :)

TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I've used this: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-NST2018-Cordless-Batteries/dp/B0001Q2EMU for the last 4 -5 years without a single problem. It's fine for light trimming duties around the house and no more "bumping" to get the line to feed - if you have to clear a field it is not for you. I've had both gas and corded electric trimmers and they are both a hassle.
  • Radridd
    Radridd Posts: 43
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I bought one of the Torx 18v lithium hedge trimmers last year. After a full charge trimmed all of my bushes (approx 30min), Very light and worked great. Thought I had found the wonder tool. The next use was a different story. Pulled the battery off the charger and inserted into the trimmer. Pulled the trigger and NADA. Back to dragging the cord.
    Sony KDL-46XBR6, Onkyo 886, Emotiva XPA-5, Oppo BDP-83, HR22 HD-DVR, Polk RTi A9s, PolK CSi A6, Polk RTi A3s, SVS PB12-NSD, Monster HTS2500 Reference PowerCenter, Logitech Harmony 1.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    I've used this: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-NST2018-Cordless-Batteries/dp/B0001Q2EMU for the last 4 -5 years without a single problem. It's fine for light trimming duties around the house and no more "bumping" to get the line to feed - if you have to clear a field it is not for you. I've had both gas and corded electric trimmers and they are both a hassle.
    Ok, n ice to hear however, never been too keen on BD products. Thy have great ideas and often are ahead of their competitors but as far as quality I never been impressed and stayed away from their products. However, if there were provisions in the dewalt line I'd surely consider ;)
    Radridd wrote: »
    I bought one of the Torx 18v lithium hedge trimmers last year. After a full charge trimmed all of my bushes (approx 30min), Very light and worked great. Thought I had found the wonder tool. The next use was a different story. Pulled the battery off the charger and inserted into the trimmer. Pulled the trigger and NADA. Back to dragging the cord.
    What have you done, returned it? What you are describing is failure for the charger to recharge it. Is this due to human error or product failure? Unless you can provide me with more details of your encounter I can not either dismiss or welcome this product. Can you tell us what was the end result with this product? Anyone else has had good or bad experience with this product?

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    Options
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If you get one with a lead/acid battery, don't let it run all the way down. Keep a good charge on it or it will kill it. I have heard that the lithium ion batteries work fairly well. Look at Troy-bilt.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Radridd
    Radridd Posts: 43
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    What have you done, returned it? What you are describing is failure for the charger to recharge it. Is this due to human error or product failure? Unless you can provide me with more details of your encounter I can not either dismiss or welcome this product. Can you tell us what was the end result with this product? Anyone else has had good or bad experience with this product?

Cheers!
    TK

Actually a sales rep came around trying to get our store to sell them. Gave me a great trial offer to try one and it was just what I was looking for. I only have some light duty trimming too much for a gas powered stihl which we sell as a dealer. He ordered it for me, and have not seen him since last summer. It is not a charger failure as the charger shows "fully charged" and the battery reads 18v on my voltage meter. The end result is, it is still at the store, waiting for the product support the rep promised me. Maybe I just got a lemon, just glad I did not have to pay retail price. Maybe the rep lost his job? So guess I will chalk it up as "Human Error" for buying it. Hope you have better luck.
    Sony KDL-46XBR6, Onkyo 886, Emotiva XPA-5, Oppo BDP-83, HR22 HD-DVR, Polk RTi A9s, PolK CSi A6, Polk RTi A3s, SVS PB12-NSD, Monster HTS2500 Reference PowerCenter, Logitech Harmony 1.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    LOL :cool:
    Radridd wrote: »
    Actually a sales rep came around trying to get our store to sell them. Gave me a great trial offer to try one and it was just what I was looking for. I only have some light duty trimming too much for a gas powered stihl which we sell as a dealer. He ordered it for me, and have not seen him since last summer. It is not a charger failure as the charger shows "fully charged" and the battery reads 18v on my voltage meter. The end result is, it is still at the store, waiting for the product support the rep promised me. Maybe I just got a lemon, just glad I did not have to pay retail price. Maybe the rep lost his job? So guess I will chalk it up as "Human Error" for buying it. Hope you have better luck.
    I wouldn't buy such unless I get good feed back and yet yours is far from being good. It is however nice that they looking for store to distribute the product as I am not too keen about buying an unproven product on line.

Troy-built is an idea, I'd have to look them up. Thanks!
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • FiveORacing
    FiveORacing Posts: 105
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Little Wonder makes the best electric Trimmers, hands down imho. They are expensive, but the only electric ones that held up for me. I use mostly gas, but the LW are still perform as well, if you don't mind a cord.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Troy-built is an idea, I'd have to look them up. Thanks!
    Unfortunately they are all gaz powered (at least here in Canada)
    Little Wonder makes the best electric Trimmers, hands down imho. They are expensive, but the only electric ones that held up for me. I use mostly gas, but the LW are still perform as well, if you don't mind a cord.
    I'll check them out, thanks.
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Omg.....I am clearly not fully awake from my nap tonight. Sorry Rene. :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2010
    Options
    WOW. That was sig worthy, but I will refrain. Kind of reminds me of an email someone wrote recently.

On topic - battery tech has come a long way in the past few years, I've been wanting to check out a rechargeable and see how it does. That being said, I have a straight shaft Riobi gas - and I turned the idle up slightly - I don't even have to touch the throttle while trimming, I just walk along.

I depends on what you are trimming, but there are new heads you can buy that have an ABS (replaceable) blade, instead of dealing with the spool of nylon.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • FiveORacing
    FiveORacing Posts: 105
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Unfortunately they are all gaz powered (at least here in Canada) I'll check them out, thanks.

Just reread your post and think we may be talking about two differenet things. I was talking about hedge trimmers and I see you mentioned "line" as in a line as in what I refer to as a weed-wacker. Sorry for the confusion.

Joe
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    WOW. That was sig worthy, but I will refrain. Kind of reminds me of an email someone wrote recently.

On topic - battery tech has come a long way in the past few years, I've been wanting to check out a rechargeable and see how it does. That being said, I have a straight shaft Riobi gas - and I turned the idle up slightly - I don't even have to touch the throttle while trimming, I just walk along.

I depends on what you are trimming, but there are new heads you can buy that have an ABS (replaceable) blade, instead of dealing with the spool of nylon.
    Cheers,
    Russ
    That would be great as I always hated that dinky nylon strings. I have one in the workshop that still look pretty new. I didn't liked it and forgot about it. I've seen some advertised on TV with different blades but like I mentioned, I will not ordfer new product online. I need the reassurance of easy return to my favorite store (unless a business like Polk that offers you the free shipping-return if you do noy like the product ;)) Thanks for the info, I'll check them out!

Doro, take your time and once you are awake will read you. :D

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I need to shake the marbles around a bit more when I wake up next time....sheesh.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You have plenty on your plate mentally right now, and I know with you at the wheel it will be a GREAT show.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    How about a good cold shower, gets your heart pumping and wakes the living poopoo out of you :D
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Humm, never cared for Black & Decker but a couple people brought some good points about their 18 volts battery operated. So far not too many comments here on battery trimmers :confused:

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR: