Sony tae9000es firmware

chandler9a
chandler9a Posts: 877
edited May 2010 in Electronics
Well, I'm at the end of my patience with what should be a very simple firmware upgrade!:mad:

I am attempting to upgrade the firmware on my fathers tae9000es surround sound processer with little luck. I know this is an older model and most wouldn't bother with it but we are not pleased with the sound in 2 channel and would like to see if this upgrade would remedy the disappointment.

Here's the problem, I am not a computer guy so bare with me:)

I can get the firmware from the internet.
I can get it to run with the correct site key from the internet.
I have the RS232C cable (radio shack) that is required to connect the PC to the tae9000es.

Problem- When I go to install the firmware I just get a " check your RS232C connection" signal that prohibits the installation.

I have tried this with a USB to RS232 adapter and get the same problem.

Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense but if anyone has experience with this I would be very interested.

In the event that I cannot perform the upgrade I will probably be looking for a different AVR and the Pioneer Elite units are looking pretty darn good right now. Movies are important but music in two channel is the main concern with this set up.

Gear being used: Sony tae9000es pre and tan9000 amp in BTL mode for the center and rears
Fronts, Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL with RDO's and Ben's IC
2 NAD 218 THX amps, one for the highs and one for the lows.
center, Von Schweikert LCR-35
rears, polk Monitor 5jr
Samsung Blueray
Sony 42 inch Plasma TV

So, sorry for the long post but I figured guys could put me in the right direction and who knows, maybe we need to just move on to another AVR

Thank you!
Post edited by chandler9a on

Comments

• Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited May 2010
    All serial cables are not created equal. Check if your cable is a "straight" through cable. Test with a multimeter pin one on each end should show continuity,ect, go through all pins. You may have a crossover cable where the pin connections are flipped.
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited May 2010
    An electrical engineer friend of mine said the same thing and that may well be the problem so I will check that out.

Any opinions on other AVR's that are good for sound quality in 2 channel in the $700-$1000 range? This Sony unit is very nice but I feel we are not taking full advantage of the SDA's.