Looking for help on upgrade direction

Options
Bryon
Bryon Posts: 2
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello folks. I have a 94 S10 extended cab with a pair of db651 in the doors and some old pioneer A series 4x6 oval 2 ways in the dash. My HU is a JVC lh-3100, puts out about 20 watts RMS. No amps and no sub. I don't absolutely hate the sound I get in the noisy cab and I'm not looking to impress anyone but myself, but I wouldn't mind improving things a little. I do have access to an old MTX amp, 2 channel somewhere around 75 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Right now I would just like the sound quality to be a little better, not really looking for more volume. The dash speakers seem like the weak link, but faded right blend in okay. Bass from the db651 is fine when the volume is up a bit. I listen to rock music, no rap.

Right now I am considering upgrading somewhere and figure I have a few choices:

1. Upgrade the dash speakers to a plate set, possibly the db461p
2. Use the MTX amp to amp the db651 in the doors
3. Buy a 10" sub and add that to the system, freeing the 651s from bass duty
4. Better sound deadening in the doors (its currently PAPER)

Again, I'm just looking for some advise on what to do first. Its a loud little 4 banger under the hood and the only sound deadening in the doors is some paper, so it's not worth spend a fortune here. I'm more interested in sound quality than SPL. I don't really have much of a budget, just looking for which direction to move in. I also don't need to crank the radio up more than 60%.

My initial thoughts were to upgrade the dash speakers and eventually amp all 4, but I wasn't sure if amping the speakers would actually improve the sound quality at moderate levels or just allow it to be louder. If not, than I would probably look at adding a sub to relieve the door speakers of bass duty.

Thanks!
Post edited by Bryon on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Without spending much, amp the db 6501, disconnect the dash speakers, deaden your doors. There's not much you can do about a noisy cab, but deadening your doors will prevent cancellations at the speakers.

Do this and you will notice a big change. Then decide if you want to go further.
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Well, you can go to crutchfield they have advisers that can help you, then you can run by the options they gave you here and see what everyone else thinks?
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • Bryon
    Bryon Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Well, I probably should have put this in the original post. 3 weeks ago I had the stock radio and speakers. I put in my older JVC radio first, then ordered the db651 set for the doors. I also had the pioneers laying around, so I disconnected the rear 4x10s and rewired the rear wires to go to the dash. I can't say that I was immediately impressed with the 651s, with the volume up a bit, the treble and bass was there, but really lack mids - sounds a bit like an extreme "smiley face" EQ setup with my deck eq flat. Adding in the dash speakers brings in the midrange the door speakers are missing and improves the sound, though something is still missing and I can't seem to narrow down the freq.

Will amping the door speakers improve the sound at lower volumes or just allow me to go louder?
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Give the db's a little power off a real amp. Not the tiny MOFSET thingy inside your hu. Past 40% of volume its high distortion levels from your hu.