Suggestions??

Options
opethfan
opethfan Posts: 5
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm looking at replacing the door speakers in my 2002 blazer. It also has 4x6 in the dash , which the good people at crutchfield recommended I just leave. The doors have 6.5s them. I will be running an old verge 4x46 watt amp and an older rockford for the sub. The head unit is an old jvc cassette/cd changer unit. Any suggestions on decent door speakers? I was recommended polk db651s. I love my ht setup with polk monitors,just am not sure about polk car speakers.Looking to stay around 75-120$ per pair , but will go a little higher.Thanks in advance.
Post edited by opethfan on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Disconnect the dash speakers. You don't need them. Get the MM6501. These are the mid line series. They are 2.6 ohm speakers and since your amp is stable at 2 ohms you would get 4x60 watts.

Bi-amp the components off the 4 amp channels and each drivers getting 60 watts.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yeah disconnect the dash speakers and get the best set of 6.5" components you can afford. If the DB's are what you can afford then give them a listen. The MM's would be a better choice but also cost more.

If you dont want to have to mess with mounting a separate tweeter somewhere, then check out the MM coaxials instead. Theyre a little cheaper and use the same stuff its just that theyre not separate and so you dont have as much potential.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • opethfan
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I have no idea about components or how I would install them. It says only the db651s will fit(as far as coaxials).
  • opethfan
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Is my 4 channel amp enough for the components? I have a 2 channel I'm going to bridge for the sub.I'm unfamiliar with components,is there more than one connection per side? I'm just unsure of how to connect the components to my amp.I will have 6.5's in the rear doors. Will a 4 channel be able to push the components and the rears?
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited May 2010
    Options
    4 channel is perfect for components. U can use your 4 channel for fronts and rears or only fronts and amp each speaker independently(tweet and woofer)(better choice). U dont need rears. or you can keep em and run them off of your Headunit. if your thinking about buying fronts and rears for that price i'd get the MM6501's and bi-amp like those guys said
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • opethfan
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Would I be ok not bi-amping and using the 4 channel for front and rear?Is the headunit enough for the rear speakers? Would it be better to pick up another 4 channel amp for the rears and sub and using 2 4 channel amps? And lastly,is it worth it to have components in the front and rear?
  • TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited May 2010
    Options
    For best soundstage upfront, bi-amp at front - leave the rears (best option to turn off). ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited May 2010
    Options
    "is it worth it"?? its worth it to bi-amp! specially if your worried about sound comparing to your home system. You have what, one 2-channel? what is it? how much power? If your happy with it, keep it. If you have more dough get a real HU and the MM components. your funning factory speakers in rear? any HU with power is fine for rear speakers. if you need the rears run them off HU. if you have the 4 channel, use it, bi-amp the MMs, they would need all the power that amp can pump anyway.
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3