help with my MB C240 HU

Options
SivaNevets
SivaNevets Posts: 303
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
we just our car today, our first car. theres no cdplayer, only standard FM radio stereo:( all i want is something that can take a line-in from my mp3 player. is there a easy, cheap way to do that? i need to get this done before purchase some polk momos :D

i also checked crunchfield, every single head unit requires "major modification", which i guess is not happening :(

what should i do?
Front: Martinlogan ESL
Center: Martinlogan Stage
Rear: Martinlogan Motion 4
Sub: Martinlogan Grotto-I
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC 1523K

PC 2 Channel: Polk LSI7
Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
Mic: Neumann KMS605

Car Audio
2002 MB C240 Sedan
MM6501 components
MM840 sub
MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
Pioneer 8200BT HU
Post edited by SivaNevets on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Buy a good hu first. Run the stock speakers off this. Then save a bit and get the speakers. If you can do it all together great.

Even if there is a way to connect your mp3 player to the FM unit, it would be a really weak source. No point putting a decent speaker at the end of a poor sound source.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,990
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You might want to specify which year of C240 model ... the older ones were a lot easier to modify. I'm guessing this is not a recent model, since all the fairly recent ones (last five years or older still) have at least a single CD slot in the dash (although Canada options may be different). Just a thought.
    Alea jacta est!
  • SivaNevets
    edited May 2010
    Options
    thanks guys, i think this is what i am looking for
    http://www.amazon.com/01-04-Mercedes-CLass-Install-MBK100C/dp/B000UAUMBW

i talked to one of the car audio guy he said he needs to see the car before buy the kit, it has something todo with the amplifier?

the year is 2002. not sure if i need to buy the harness

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Not only will you need the kit but a harness and antenna adaptor. If you have steering wheel controls for your factory stereo you will need this interface also. I recommend that you replace the stereo also but it may get pretty expensive.
  • SivaNevets
    edited May 2010
    Options
    by saying "replace the stereo" you mean the head unit right?

im looking to replace factory hu to Pioneer Premier series, the problem is P800 does not have aux/usb in front, that means i have to go down to P610 where theres aux and usb connector in front but a 16-bit DAC instead of 24-bit dac in p800.

by looking at this page,
    http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResults.aspx?mk=Mercedes&mkid=22&md=C-Class&mdid=588&yrg=2001%20-%202004

which harness/ antenna adaptor should i get? do you think i can do this myself or should i hire someone (not preferred, so expansive) damn...car audio is so complicated

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Unless you are going to build a competition sound system you will not notice the difference in the DAC. As far as the harness goes Metraonline.com does not list one however it list the 71-1784 harness to go into the factory radio. What this means is that its possible for you to you one of the VW harness's in your car. One thing that will be different on the VW harness and you mercedes is the location of the 12volt constant and the 12volt accessory wire. Even though the 70-1784 harness will plug into your factory molex these wires will have to be switched. It looks like it takes the standard VW antenna adaptor 40-vw12 or 40-vw10. Two issues: one is you may need the factory amplifier VW harness and two you may need the amplified coax antenna adaptor. If you have steering wheel controls and you want to keep them I would let a professional do the installation because programing those can be a pain. All in all the car is fairly simple to do as long as you have all the right parts...One other note if you have a factory amp then get a headunit with at least a 4 volt preamp output.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,990
    edited May 2010
    Options
    SivaNevets wrote: »
    ... theres no cdplayer, only standard FM radio stereo:( all i want is something that can take a line-in from my mp3 player. is there a easy, cheap way to do that? i need to get this done before purchase some polk momos :D ...
    Did you check whether you can just add the CD changer? It may have been in the trunk for that model year (later models were in the glove box, and then in the dash).

http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/index.cfm?action=getPartLocator&siteid=2&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2610&groupid=2644&subgroupid=5473&componentid=0&makeid=67&model=C class&year=2002&graphicID=5775320&callout=2&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

It may even be pre-wired. You could try the "ask us" feature from parts.com and see if they're any good at helping you out.
    Alea jacta est!