Onkyo TX-SR800, RM6600 and PSW-350

Options
I know this question has been asked before and i did search before i joined here tonight. But im hoping you guys can help a new guy here.
Anyway should i use the Polk method or the LFE method. Also, is it ok to wire the sub to the reciever and instaed of hooking up the fronts to the sub, hook them up to the same posts as the sub on the reciever
any help for this setup would really be appreciated.
thanks
Post edited by pitt1717 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    In the case of small sats, it really depends on how high of a sub crossover frequency can be selected on the AVR.

You need at least 120 Hz for the 6600, preferably 130-140 Hz. If your AVR can't go that high, then you are almost forced to connect the Polk way because your sats simply cannot tolerate a 100 or 80 Hz crossover to the sub.

Too low of a filter point will cause a large depression in the FR between 130 and 100/80, and it will probably blow your sats due to sending them too much bass.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • pitt1717
    pitt1717 Posts: 4
    edited May 2003
    Options
    thanks for the response. if im reading the spec right i believe its 120. if it is, am i understanding you that this will be ok to use LFE connection?

also is it bad to hook up both the sub and front sats together at the avr? instead of running the sats over to the sub?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Check your receiver owner's manual and see if you have the option of selecting/altering the crossover frequency for the subwoofer when the speaks are set to small.

If you do, you will need at least 120 or better to make the sub cable method work with small sats.

Some AVRs have a fixed (i.e., non-user-adjustable) sub crossover of 80 or 100 Hz. That's too low for you, and you will need to go with a speaker level connection if that is the case.

Doc

SVS
  • pitt1717
    edited May 2003
    Options
    yes it does go to 120, cool ill have to pick a cable up!

thanks for the help
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Try to place the sub between the mains - 120 is pretty high and will result in sub localization and possibly some chestiness or disembodiment of deep male voices. Good luck.

When you get the scratch, larger speaks will allow a much lower crossover point to the sub and this will allow more flexible sub placement and better all around sound.

Doc

SVS
  • pitt1717
    edited May 2003
    Options
    unfortunatly, because of the wife and her gashy couches, i can only put the tv in 1 location which including my rack does not afford me the luxury of large speakers.
    if i was only a carpenter, i could make a nice corner rack, then i could probably fit the large speakers.

hey, maybe if i tell her that the great dr. spec told me i need large speakers, i can convince her to move and i can find a house with a dedicated HT room!!!!!!!!!

enough joking....

what do you mean between the mains? my TV is there and its a 57in, im not trying to be sarcastic, just really learning about all this. i never knew how much is really involved and its great to have a nice forum like this.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    The mains are your left and right front channels. You want the sub somewhere between the left front, center, and right front. Mine sits between the left main and the HDTV.

It will blend better in this location, particularly with such a high crossover frequency. Put it in the back corner, and it might sound weird on male voices and be more easily localized.

Generally 80 Hz or lower is needed to prevent localization.

Doc

SVS