db651 vs momo651 vs 6501 components

Options
SivaNevets
SivaNevets Posts: 303
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys, me and my gaf just bought our first car today, a 2002 mb c240 sedan.
we spent lots of money on the car and now dont have money for car speakers :D
i own rti6 and m10 for HT, love the polk sound and i think ill be happy with either db/momo.

ive done some homework, for the type of music im listening to, i dont really need a sub if db/momo651 will produce some ok bass. (im satisfied at the bass level RTI6 produces, not sure if that helps)

my expectation is not that high, since car is always in a noisy environment, althought i think by putting a tweeter at ear level will make a big difference but i dont think my gaf will let me drill a hole to our first car :D so how well r these tweeter do at off-axis?

how would u descript the sound signature difference between db and mm? ( iread db has better highs and mids, mm has better mids and lows, that sound sux since i would some highs, mids and lows at once)

i dont think ill invest a amp/sub in the neat future, so is coaxial a better hoice for me? (also the price difference is considerable for me at this momemnt)

i personally perfer the look on the momo, our car has black interior.

i would like to hear some advice. :D
Front: Martinlogan ESL
Center: Martinlogan Stage
Rear: Martinlogan Motion 4
Sub: Martinlogan Grotto-I
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC 1523K

PC 2 Channel: Polk LSI7
Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
Mic: Neumann KMS605

Car Audio
2002 MB C240 Sedan
MM6501 components
MM840 sub
MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
Pioneer 8200BT HU
Post edited by SivaNevets on

Comments

• SivaNevets
    edited May 2010
    Options
    just checked fit guide mm651 wont fit...
    Fit-P means I cannot use the cool grill comes with the db/momo series? thats so sad

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If you're not going to run an amp / sub in the short to medium future and you plan on powering your speakers thru your hu, then buy the ones that best fit your budget.

The db's are Polks entry level speakers, MM/Momo are mid level and the SR's that Skip was mentioning are the top end in what polk makes. Rather, used to make, since the SR's are now history.

In your sound chain, the source is the weak link. So no real point going overboard with the speakers. Like already said, the components will sound better than the coax's. If your sail panels have a tweeter mounting location (a '02 vehicle should have this) you can put the tweet there without drilling any holes.

The old school MM6 is still regarded as the best speaker in the mobile monitor series.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MM6-POLK-AUDIO-6-5-MOMO-COMPETITION-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-/110529918296?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item19bc18b558

On ebay for $189. Down the line even if you swap your stock hu or add an amp etc you wont need to upgrade these.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited May 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    The db's are Polks entry level speakers, MM/Momo are mid level and the SR's that Skip was mentioning are the top end in what polk makes. Rather, used to make, since the SR's are now history.

whaaaaat???? lol

I didn't know they stopped making them but if that's the case - is there gonna be anything instead??

back to ot - i run both dbs and momo's (not mm) but only amped so i'm sure my experience with them will never be the same as anyone else's without an amp.

dbs when compared to momo's have better sounding highs but lack in bass/midbass department. That "kick" u'd expect to hear from a great techno song just isn't there.
    momo's on the other hand are filled with that "kick" but so are with highs, to the point where highs are a bit too much. Too bright and... loud.

even with it's harsh highs momos > dbs imo
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • SivaNevets
    edited May 2010
    Options
    thanks for the replies. i guess specs dont say anything eh?
    db651 35hz-22khz
    mm651 40hz- 25khz
    mm521 50hz- 25khz?

hows mm521? (i dont feel good about 5 1/4 inch woofer without sub) ill check detailed install info for mm6501 with polk soon.

i live in toront btw, cant use polk direct

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • SivaNevets
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i checked my car again, yes theres a small speaker bracket at the corner of my front door unit, but seem theres no sound coming from it.

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU