MIT Shotgun S1 XLR Interconnects

Options
Beta
Beta Posts: 267
edited May 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
I got my hands on two pairs of 1 meter MIT Shotgun S1 XLR interconnects. I am incorporating them into my system.

I will be using one pair to connect a Parasound Halo A21 amp to a Parasound JC 2 preamp. I will be using the second pair to connect the Parasound Halo JC 2 Preamp to a Cambridge Audio 840C CDP.

Unfortunately, I do not have the original boxes, specs or owners manual. Therefore, I would be grateful if anyone could elaborate for me as to which setting LOW, MID or HIGH might be optimal?

Thank you for any assistance or insight that one might be able to provide. I have searched, but I can't seem to find any literature for the cables online or on MIT's web page.

Thank you kindly.
Andy
Post edited by Beta on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You need to match the switch setting with the input impedance of the receiving component.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Beta
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thank you.

The input impedance for the JC 2 is....

Unbalanced: 30k ohms
    Balanced: 30k ohms per leg

Therefore, the low setting on the S1's from amp to preamp should be best?

The specs for the 840C are articulated below. From these numbers, I am having a bit of a challenge figuring out the proper setting going from the JC 2 to the 840C.

Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
    THD @ 1Khz 0dBFs: <0.0008%
    THD @ 1kHz -10dBFs: <0.0004%
    THD @ 20kHz 0dBFs: <0.0007%
    THD @ (19/20kHz) 0dBFs: <0.0002%
    Linearity @ -90dBFs: +/-0.5dB
    Stopband rejection (>24kHz): > 120dB
    Signal to Noise Ratio A-wtd: > 113dB
    Total correlated jitter: > 130pS
    Crosstalk @ 1kHz: > -130dB
    Crosstalk @ 20kHz: > -114dB
    Output Impedance: < 50 ohms
    Digital input word widths supported: 16 - 24 bit
    Digital output word widths supported: 16, 20, 24 bit
    Digital input sampling frequencies supported: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz
    Digital output sampling frequencies supported: 32kHz - 192kHz pass through (including 44.1kHz for CD) 48kHz,
    96kHz, 192kHz upsampled
    Audio output up-sampling: Fixed 24 bit, 384kHz

Thanks again for any help. Unfortunately, I am a bit "challenged" when it comes to the technical aspects of this hobby.

Kind regards,
    Andy
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The specs for the 840C are articulated below. From these numbers, I am having a bit of a challenge figuring out the proper setting going from the JC 2 to the 840C.

The signal travels FROM the CDP to the pre amp, so you use the input impedance of the pre amp and then from the pre amp to the amp you would use the input impedance of the amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Beta
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Wonderful. Very much appreciated!

I have incorporated both pairs of cables at the "low" setting. Hopefully this is the correct setting for my JC 2 preamp.

I am astonished by how good they sound. To my ears, there is a huge improvement over the AQ Diamondback XLR IC's I was previously using.

The MITs are brand new. To think they are supposed to get even better once they break in amazes me.

Thanks again for the help.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Make sure you have the arrows pointed in the right direction. They should point in the direction of the signal flow. CDP to pre amp - pre amp to amp.
    To think they are supposed to get even better once they break in amazes me.

You ain't heard nothing yet. :) After 200 hours is when things really get good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Beta
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thank you F1nut. Your assistance is truly appreciated!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2010
    Options
    After listening for a few months switch to another setting to see if it does anything for you. You must be used to how it sounds before doing this.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The Parasound with MIT cables systems I have heard had nice synergy, congrats and enjoy. My experience with MIT has been the sound after break in improves noticeably, actually I hate the break in time with my rig when adding a new cable I cant wait for the initial 2 weeks of play to be over. sounds pretty brittle initially.

RT1