new 4" speakers in the kick panels & the rear speakers. This is
almost an emergency. Either he will have a heart attack caused
by blood pressure or I'll go deaf.
Post edited by pdchap09 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2003
    I am not normally in this forum but I monitor it. That is probably a little too specific to answer in a few short hours. We would love to help.

What do you mean "How?"

Normally kick panels are attached by trim clips, that 50%, lucky you, break when you remove them. Are you talking kick panels on the door or near the dead pedal/ passenger area?

The removal of an interior car panel will often require multiple steps....door handle cover.....arm rest cover.....then door skin....blah blah

The rear speakers normally attach, this is general, with wire clips. The speakers that came with your car, were designed for that car. AND lucky you, were designed to be as economical as can be as far as mounting. You won't find many aftermarket standard mounting brackets matching the brackets that came with you vehicle. Some speakers will require spacers, some will require some modification. Best idea in preparing for new speaker mounting, novice wise dont get testy experts : ) is to remove current speakers and measure the speaker and cutout depth. Try and purchase a speaker that is similar.

I don't work for them, but Crutchfield is a great source for the right speakers for the vehicle. They offer alot of assistance to people that buy speakers from them, thats the stipulation.

I will keep an eye out, someone with more knowledge than I will I am sure post....Jstas....Powered by Dodge are some real knowledge sources for this area.

Keep us posted.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    First off, if the kid is that pissed off about it, lay into him for not planning ahead first and then tell him to get the hell away from the car for a while otherwise he is going to end up breaking something in a fit of rage.

Now, where are the 4 inch speakers going? Because, I do believe that the 89-94 Maximas have 4x6 inch speakers in the front doors. If he is installing them in the kick panels then that requires custom work. Either custom mounting or, those Q-Logic Q-forms thingys. If he is installing them in the doors then, he is going to have to remove the ENTIRE interior door panel to access the speakers. If he is having trouble taking the panel off, make sure he has all the screws taken out and keep in mind that most modern door panels will actually have to be lifted up and then pulled off the door. There will most likely be electrical connections with a wiring harness and plugs for power windows, mirrors and locks. Disconnect those and any other wires and then there should be easy access to the door speakers.

The rear speakers are bottom mount. They are 6x9's and they will be held up a number of ways. I've seen everything from big 'ole fat rubber bands to welded studs with nuts and lock washers. They will most likely have to be accessed through the trunk which can be a pain but he is young and should bend that way. If there is a panel there, he will have to pull back the carpet and look for body clips or tabs in slots and pull that panel out to get to the speakers. They should be in the rear deck. When he gets that done and if there is a panel that was removed, he should probably leave it out because it will inhibit the performance of the 6x9's.

Above all, he should take his time. Getting pissed off about it is no way to do it. I know from experience. I have a short temper and sometimes I lose it. I have broken many a panel, clip or alignment stud hitting something that I shouldn't.

You can try and call Crutchfield but, if you didn't get the speakers from them, they will probably not help you. You can always call up a local install shop for some advice but again, I cannot make any promises that they will help. But, if you can get more specific information to post here, like what the problems you are running into are, I can promise you that at least I will give you the best help I can.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    my buddy's girlfriend has a 90 (or maybe a 91) maxima -- so i was doing some research to figure out what the hell do to with her car but then he decided not to do it....

ANYWAY -- lol

front speakers in teh NON-BOSE SYSTEM issue maxima's are 4x6 plates... rears are 6x9's.

front speakers in the BOSE ISSUE maximas are 4" -- there's a 4x6 "hole" but there is this plastic or metal plate that goes over it and allows for the 4" bose speaker -- the plate actually gives u a hair more depth -- and as such its good to just get a 4" speaker for that area (this is strictly from things i've read / heard, not from actual experience).

IF HE HAS THE BOSE SYSTEM YOU WILL NEEEEEEDDDDDDD *emphasize* NEED to run new speaker wires from the deck to the speakers or from his amp to the speakers --- and I am just assuming your son bought a new head unit (cd player) because that bose one will not power normal speakers... u could actually use the factory speaker wire if you are only using a low power (25 - 40 x 4) head unit for power -- however it requires patience and about an hour and a half to 2 hours extra time with a digital multimeter (or any continuity tester) to determine which two wires behind the dash are which two speaker SIGNAL wires -- each speaker will have 4 wires running to it (note bose speakers have amps built right on to them) one wire is power, one is ground, the other two are "signal" (speaker) wires. i prefer just to run new wire... but if you're just doing a quick job and its not expensive equipment -- u can use existing.

IF HE DOES NOT HAVE THE BOSE SYSTEM -- then good, you're job is much easier -- just gut the damned car... speakers come out and u can use the same wires without a problem.

as Jstas said -- kick panels = custom work -- dont jsut cut the stupid plastic panel and put a speaker in there -- that will not work well at all and he will regret it forever... eitehr Q form (i dont like them but i guess they're ok), fiberglass kick panel (lots of money), or put them in the doors where they belong.

if you're new to installing (which i'll assume) try to wait til its warm to pull panels off -- i mean if its getting late at night there and its cold (below 50 degress) you're probably gonna notice those plastic panels get a whole lot stiffer -- and stiffer means easier to break... i've done a lot of door panels and to this day in teh winter or early spring / later fall or whenever its colder out -- i bust clips like a madman... but again - my lack of patience contributes to that.

rears are gonna be BOTTOM MOUNT 6x9's -- this means they screw in from the bottom -- not the top -- u dont have to pull off the rear deck or the rear deck grilles -- just open the trunk - and pop the back speakers off -- be sure that the 6x9's that u bought are designed to be "ok" for bottom mount use -- some 6x9's are not (the surounds aren't made in the right exact position and they dont have the right top part plastic trim so they end up not working right).

as far as his utter frustration... i've got my own opinion on that -- not gospel but jsut my way of thinking...

1- cursing is good -- it vents your frustration on something other than the car.

2- standing AWAY from the vheicle when u throw stuff and stomp up and down is a must -- safety first children (not people safety -- car safety -- do u know what paint costs!!!!! :p )

3- dont make rash decisions and do a half **** job in the middle of the night when you're tired and just "want to get it done" -- let it sit in the garage -- let it just sit -- and relax and do it the next day. we've all had a lotta **** go bad on us and i bet u everyone will tell ut he same thign -- the worst decisions are those made under duress and the worst install is that done by fidgety stressed out hands.

... hopefully he'll get it together and be able to work through it -- you'll notice when this point comes -- cuz he'll go from swearing to singing something like "He wore that cowboy hat to cover up his horns, sweet talkin forked tongue had a temptin charm, before i turned around that girl was gone, all i can say is bartender pour me somethin strong" -- or some other swarthy type of guy-ish song... as the swearing switches to muttering and "hand me the soldering iron and tape"

my best of luck to you and your son.
    :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    another reason why bose is crap...
    and pbd...what are you talking about wait til it warms up?
    it was in the 90s here today
    lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    cody, you're a texan, as a result, god gave u three things...

1- cute mexican girls
    2- lots of oil for sellin and making cash
    3- fantastic weather.

I, however, am a New Yorker, and god gave me three things...

1- proximity to toronto and thus a higher chance of S.A.R.S.
    2- high city taxes
    3- **** weather...

it was in the 40's this week for a few days --- raining, nasty crappy weather... if this guy who posted is even further north then he may be in install hell... (unless he's got a heated garage, in which case... "cani move in with you?" )...

better yet -- cody, can i move in with you? heh heh heh -- i'll bring my dog, you'll love her. :)
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    bad thing about texas
    when the temperature gets to be 120* and then u add in the humidity factor since i live about 30 miles from the ocean
    but other than that i love it
    but i hate cold weather
    if i lived any further north than texas id freeze...you know the last time its snowed here?
    in the 70s...thought id share that too
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    i wasn't even born in the 70's ....lol :)