Comments

• yepimonfire
    yepimonfire Posts: 256
    edited May 2010
    yes, stay away from all their stuff.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2010
    I LOVED the PyleDriver box that I had in my Datsun....like 20+ years ago but I haven't heard a single Pyle component since then. I actually thought they were out of business up until a trade show....weird. I also don't read much love about the product.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited May 2010
    yes, stay away from all their stuff.

I second this!;)
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2010
    I also had a Pyle amp in my car about 20+ years ago and if I remember it was very loud.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,613
    edited May 2010
    Generally, yes. That said, I have experimented with a pair of Pyle compression drivers on Altec 511B horns and they were not bad (believe it or not).
  • m1aman
    m1aman Posts: 143
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for your answers guys. Some of their prices are pretty good so I figured their was a catch.
  • yepimonfire
    edited May 2010
    well when their 3000w advertised amp can only drive 100w into something, theres something going on. not to mention all the internet reviews saying how the stuff broke after like two weeks.
  • yepimonfire
    edited May 2010
    if your looking for good components at low prices check out some behringer stuff, they are excellent.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited May 2010
    Behringer gear is horrible and it's not built very well. But then, you get what you pay for. Actually Pyle and Behringer are about the same.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited May 2010
    My brother in law bought a Behringer AMP...lasted all of 2 weeks.

If you want a low cost amp that may last a year or 2, consider a Audiosource AMP.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited May 2010
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Behringer gear is horrible and it's not built very well. But then, you get what you pay for. Actually Pyle and Behringer are about the same.

+1

I used to have a Behringer 4x12" guitar cabinet, and it's about the only Behringer product I've ever seen that wasn't a POS.

Pyle is also garbage.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    edited May 2010
    Back in the late 80's early 90's pyle driver subs were good actually. I think they got bought out and then became bad.

I have seen some of there audio stuff for DJ and amps. I would stay away also.

Are you thinking about this for home grear or practice gear? What is the application it would be used in?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2010
    I have a pair of 6x9 speakers I bought from them because they had a really high efficiency rating and I was working with only 12 watts. They are loud but thats about all.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2010
    I always like to say their gear about the same quality as a Pyle of crap.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited May 2010
    Pyle makes a couple of good products. Some of their horn lenses are well built and engineered.
    I'm definitely not a fan of their electronics.
    Isn't Klipsch the parent company of Pyle now? IIRC reading something about that 6 months or so ago.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited May 2010
    Steaming Pyle of Shiznit.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2010
    if your looking for good components at low prices check out some behringer stuff, they are excellent.
    :confused:
    heiney9 wrote: »
    +1

Behringer is the type of company that will steal designs from reputable companies and built them out of garbage components. IE: behringer mixing consoles...
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • pickoid
    pickoid Posts: 31
    edited May 2010
    Pyle has never been anything to write home about. I had a Pyle car subwoofer back in about 1989, and I guess it was OK. However, the current stuff I see in the Parts Express catalog should be avoided at all costs.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2010
    HB27 wrote: »
    Pyle makes a couple of good products. Some of their horn lenses are well built and engineered.
    I'm definitely not a fan of their electronics.
    Isn't Klipsch the parent company of Pyle now? IIRC reading something about that 6 months or so ago.

You read wrong.

Pyle is owned by a parent company, Sound Around Incorporated, which is also the parent company of Pyramid, Lanzar, Legacy, Blitz, GSI and Brand X audio brands.

http://www.soundaroundusa.com/

Pyle used to be a separate company. Like Jensen which is now owned by Audiovox. They made good stuff way back when and honestly helped define the car audio segment. The stuff you seen now is from the parent company who cuts production costs as much as they can to increase profit margins and manufacturers overseas.

Both Sound Around and Audiovox maintain corporate HQ locations in the United States but I am pretty sure that there are giant Japanese, Chinese and Taiwanese conglomerates behind the names.

A similar fate befell other pioneering companies like Advent (Audiovox), AR (Audiovox), Phase Linear (Audiovox), NHT (Audiovox), Dual (TCL Holdings) and KLH (Kyocera Ltd).

They were all bought for the names to sell cheap junk in discount stores. Although, Dual was most well known for stellar turntables and that part of the business was bought by Fehrenbacher in 1993. They still make an impressive range of turntables. Dual hasn't always been readily available here. They are big in Europe and Japan. When the Dual car audio junk started showing up here in the late 90's and got way prevalent in the past few years, I knew something was up. TCL Holdings is a Chinese company that also owns RCA, Thompson and Alcatel.

KLH though, Kyocera stopped making audio components under the KLH name in the early 90's. They put the brand name up for sale and an American company in California called Wald Sound and Verit Industries bought them. they still make things as cheaply as possible and I still don't believe that thier holding company isn't overseas either.

There are tons of brands from the 50's, 60's and 70's that have gone this way. Even Polk Audio is one of them. Hopefully Directed remains hands-off and doesn't bastardized the brand in to something less than desirable like these other pioneers and hallmarks of what we now call "vintage audio".

Fehrenbacher website: http://www.alfredfehrenbacher.de/Dual-Phono/4.html?lang=en
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2010
    NHT is not associated with Audiovox and remains an independent American speaker company (although production has moved to China many years ago). NHT purchased itself last year from its previous American parent company; one of NHT's founders is currently part-owner of NHT.

For the record, the speaker business of AR was purchased by Audiovox when Jensen Int'l went belly up. The cable/power conditioner businesses of AR was sold to Recoton.
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    OK, fine, I offended NHT obviously.

NHT was not always an independent company. It may have been bought back from Audiovox but, Jensen International owned NHT Loudspeakers when it was bought by Audiovox. NHT went with it. The "American parent company" that NHT bought itself from was Audiovox.

And, for the record, you know who owns the right to the Recoton name? Audiovox.

Further info. Recoton was owned by Thompson. Thompson went belly up and started selling off assets and liabilities. In December of 2007, Audiovox completed acquisition of the following brands from Thompson's consumer electronics and appliances portfolio: RCA, Recoton, Spikemaster, Ambico and Discwasher.

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    NHT was not always an independent company. It may have been bought back from Audiovox but, Jensen International owned NHT Loudspeakers when it was bought by Audiovox. NHT went with it. The "American parent company" that NHT bought itself from was Audiovox.

According to this Stereophile article, NHT was previously owned by Vinci Labs, which funded NHT's xD series of DSP speaker system. The article didn't mention it, but before Vinci Labs, NHT was owned by Rockford-Fosgate. At that time, Rockford-Fosgate owned MB Quart also.
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    According to this Stereophile article, NHT was previously owned by Vinci Labs, which funded NHT's xD series of DSP speaker system. The article didn't mention it, but before Vinci Labs, NHT was owned by Rockford-Fosgate. At that time, Rockford-Fosgate owned MB Quart also.

Dude, really? That article is 5 years old and the "Vinci Labs" that bought the name is long since gone.

This is the "Vinci Labs" site now: http://www.vincilabs.com/

The current owners renewed a registration in 2009. They've probably had the name since at least 2008, maybe earlier. Also, the Vinci Labs that bought the name was owned by the Vinci Group based in Tampere, Finland, not a US Company. Rockford Fosgate also unloaded MB Quart in 2005 as well as NHT.

The last news I can find for the Finnish "Vinci Group" is some stories on BNET about acquisitions with high liability in early 2008. I'll bet that the "Vinci Group" folded in 2008 and everything was sold off in a fire sale. The current company owning the Vinci Group names in Europe is a construction/architectural company that builds infrastructure like bridges, large buildings and energy facilities.

If the Vinci Group did in fact fold and the assets sold off, they went in a private sale and therefore no notice of what holdings went where necessary to be made public. The only public that would know would those who were shareholders of the companies acquiring the assets. I see nothing beyond 2007-2008 to support your statements.

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2010
    We have been trying out two bridged Pyle's rated at 3000 watts each for the band, lots of power, no issues, they sound best with tubed head units, appropriate signal compression and EQ, not really something though I would ever use for home stereo. Pretty cheap stuff in pro audio land.

RT1
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited May 2010
    As far as I have seen behringer is kinda bad , I bought a behringer rack mount xover the adjustments almost made no differance .
    BUT
    The behringer truth 2030 speaker sounds VERY nice ! (its a copy of ?genelec? )
    I would be proud to have some (dont know if I would pull the polks though) .
    All pyles I ever saw were junk
    but
    I had a pyle "pro-series" 12" with a big magnet and huge voice coil no matter what box I tried that in it always sounded good, I tried it in a .75 cu box with a big port and it went good .
  • ekp
    ekp Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I bought a pair of pyle 6x9 4 way and a pair of pyle 6 1/2 component speakers, both rated for 100watts RMS. I have them hooked up to a sony xplod 4x100 amp. I paid about 50.00 plus shipping for these and have had them in my truck for 3 years, and they work great! wish I would have got 4 of the 6x9's they are awesome, and they were cheaper than the 6 1/2's:eek:
  • WISH I WOULD HAVE READ HERE FIRST....I ORDERD A SMALL PYLE PRREAMP TO BOOST MY OLD 15 INCH BASS SPEAKERS....TOOK QUITE A WHILE TO GET IT....WOULD NOT DO MUCH OF ANYTHING ...THEY SAID I HOOKED IT UP WRONG....I TOLD THEM YA ....I'M ONLY ELCTRONIC TECHNICIAN AND BEEN DOING THIS ALL MY LIFE ....I'M 73 NOW....SO THEY FINALLY SENT ME ANOTHER ONE FOR FREE.....BUT SAME THING.....NO GO....YA....PYLE OF S.....AHH JUNK.....BETTER SAVE YOUR MONEY AND TIME....NO PYLE !.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,613
    three words
    CAPS
    LOCK
    OFF

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,034
    Pyle of ____.
    Buy a vowel....
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The Pyle phono pre I have does the job, but I know it's leaving alot on the table, so to speak.