looking for info on upgrading stock

Options
jydez
jydez Posts: 2
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all,

Forgive the long message please. I've been poking around here for a few days, and googling on the web in general, but so far haven't really found answers to my questions. I'm wondering if someone here could advise.

I've got a 2010 Cobalt LT, I generally like the stock HU and don't really want to change it (partly I actually like it, partly because the only HU's I like better are gonna cost me another $400-$500, partly it's easier to convince the wife a little at a time and maybe after her kitchen is renovated :D). What I was thinking of doing first was upgrading the front speakers, then maybe adding an amp and sub.

I saw the MM6501 components, but have found comments online from some people who figure that the lower impedance will cause the HU to burn out (can't find the specs on the stock system anywhere, but the 6x9's in the back are labelled on the magnet as 8ohm). Is there any truth in that, or is that only if you try to crank it up too high with no decent amplification, which is just as likely to wreck the speakers themselves?

Next, I figured maybe I could just add some modest amplification, something like the PA200.4 amp with 2 channels to drive the components in the front and bridge the other 2 channels to drive a sub. I'm not looking to deafen myself, just to flesh out the sound better.

In that scenario, would I be able to get away with splicing into the stock speaker wires to deliver an amplified signal to the components in front, without melting them or starting a fire or something? I ask that because from what I can see it's a pain to run the new speaker wire due to some connection block that GM incorporated into the doors. I would either have to hack a hole into the block, or look for connectors that might fit into an empty socket. Much easier if the stock wiring will handle it.

Is there any rule of thumb between power and wire size? I haven't been able to find anything, maybe just picking the wrong keywords.

Biamplification looks interesting but then I'm looking at having to hack another set of wires through that connecting block, unless the tweeters alone can handle the stock wiring (does limiting to the higher frequencies correspond to lower current?) and I can fit a heavier wire into some empty sockets on the block for the woofers. Although to do this and run a sub if I understand correctly I would need either a 5-channel amp or a 4-channel and a mono, right?

Not really looking to upgrade the rears, between learning in the forum here about the sound stage, and having a set of slightly better Sony 6.5's from my old car that I'm going to stick in the rear deck for the odd time I actually have someone sitting back there.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Post edited by jydez on

Comments