RM6600/PSW350/Sony STR-DE845 Hookup HELP!

Options
I am going INSANE! I think I have blown every speaker(mids fried tweets still work) in my system (rm6600)and an extra I had laying around.
I know alot of people have this setup. If you could take a few minutes and tell me which hookup option you use I will be forever in your debt.

SONY STR-DE845
POLK:RM6600/PSW350
Post edited by captainhightops on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited May 2003
    Options
    um....speaker wire is preferred, nah really. Calm down and what are you using, and what hook up do you mean? How to plug speakers in?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Woa there CaptainHT, you need to give a little more info, what makes you think you blew all the speakers? What did you do before you plugged the Sony in? Lots of help here, but need to know. If your recevier allows ( I am not familiar with Sony, you should be setting the sattelites to small and subwoofer to yes. Hook things up one at a time and check if they work. Let us know.
  • captainhightops
    captainhightops Posts: 4
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I had this ALL typed out,went to review post and lost it(20 min to write aaaahhh) so I will try the short version ORIGINALLY I hooked the rm6600 up to the back of the receiver and the sub to the sub out on the receiver it was ok for awhile the 2 sats started crackling the finally all I could here were tweeter from 2 of the sats then the center channel fried and the same 2 sats stopped completely.I THEN MOVED and hooked my handicapped system up using POLK reccomended Option#1 in the sub Manual No sub hookup to receiver JUST speaker wire from receiver to sub IN then from sub OUT to the 2 sats I had left set the receiver to Large for the 2 sats I hooked up. I watched 2 movies and heard 1 cd.Noticed some crackling sound from the sats and what do I do? YOU GUESSED IT turned the volume UP to see what the sound is and if it would stop AND it stopped I BLEW THE mids out of the last 2 sats(tweeters sound great!) SO I hooked up an old speaker I had and proceeded to blow the driver out of that 1 too (Yep the horn/tweeter sounds GREAT!) when I checked the speaker connections on the back of the sub the volume would surge and/or lower when I would touch the wires so I checked for pos/neg wires touching and didnt see any.I THEN took yet another ols stereo speaker and ran the wire directly from the receiver to the speaker NO PROBLEM what am I doing wrong
    I know A WHOLE LIST OF THINGS RIGHT:-) You time is very appreciated and you will gain much wealth for helping the helpless. THANK YOU MUCH
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2003
    Options
    CHT,

From what you have said I just dont know what your doing wrong. If you hooked the speakers up as in option 1 everything should be ok, if you set the digital wrong this can cause a high pitch which can damage the speakers. I suggest giving polk a call they are good people and can usually help.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Make sure you havn't wired them out of phase. Red to black and vice versa, crank it up that way and you will damage your speakers. If you get a fluctuation in the binding posts when you move the wires, make sure they super snug, stop there, and just call Polk.

Optional Information - Hook up just your sub to the receiver(Pre-Out), play something with bass, and listen for what should be normal thumps of bass effect. Move your wires when that is happening, if it alters volume or stops playing, then you may have found the problem. Bad crossover in your sub would be the culprit in that case, just an educated guess.

Have you tried hooking up a known good speaker to just the receiver? I realize you have possibly damaged more than one, but the issue could be in your receiver amplifier outputs. If you had terrible effects in both hookups, thru sub and straight out of receiver then it would be your culprit. BUT, this other option you tried was AFTER you experienced a serious issue.

What you may want to do is the first part of what I said and stop there. Call Polk, email in forum(Troubleshooting) and contact your receiver's manufacturer. Anything under warranty?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • freid
    freid Posts: 24
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Take heart captainhightops,
    As an owner of an RM6600 system who has needed to replace a few blown drivers, I have quietly come to the conclusion that in life, there are just a few things that are easier to do than blow the driver of an RM6600 satellite.
  • captainhightops
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yes they are still under warranty. I have 2 speakers hooked up directly to the receiver and NO Problems so far.
    SO what in your experience is the best hookup? Run the speakers straight from the receiver and connect the sub from "subwoofer out" on receiver to the LFE on the sub?
    I cannot tell from the sony receiver manual if the "sub out" is a filtered or unfiltered signal,is this very important? Should I consider hooking the receiver "sub out"on the receiver to the "line level input" on the sub? I feel I am getting close and will take the advice
    on testing the subwoofer for a crossover problem.is there any other way to tEST the subwoofer for faults? THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PRECIOUS TIME!!
    PS is the crossover INSIDE the sub or ?
  • captainhightops
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Is 100 watts per speaker too much?

can the speakers be overdriven by this amount of power?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    How high of a sub crossover frequency can you select on the Sony receiver? Check the manual and see if you have any options.

If it is fixed at 80 or 100 Hz, then I suggest going with the speaker level connection and setting the 350 filter to around 120-130 Hz.

I am a big fan of sub line level connection, but only if you are using larger speakers capable of a flat response down into the 50 Hz range. With tiny sats, though, I still recommend speaker level connection to the sub because most AVRs do not have the option of selecting 120-130 Hz as the filter point.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • freid
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I was told by Polk that my 90 Watts per channel Denon 2802 did not have enough power to properly drive the 6600 and this is why I lost the drivers.

Perhaps your 100 watt Sony is still not powerful enough.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by freid
    I was told by Polk that my 90 Watts per channel Denon 2802 did not have enough power to properly drive the 6600 and this is why I lost the drivers.

That is total horseshit.

The 6600 has tiny and fragile drivers and needs to be high passed at 120-130 Hz if it has any hopes of surviving even reasonable playback volume.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • freid
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I have gone through weeks of discussion with Polk on this issue and have resigned myself to the fact that until I can afford to purchase "serious" speakers, I will have to live with playing my 6600 system at low volumes.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by freid

Damn Polk CSR's drinking on the job again. The 2802 is a fine receiver and I have no doubt it will power the RM6600 adequately. Now maybe you like to listen to your tunes beyond what the speaker can physically handle, but that's the speaker not the receiver.