Parasound JC 2 preamp

Options
Beta
Beta Posts: 267
edited May 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
My new Parasound Halo JC 2 preamp arrived today. I upgraded from the Halo P3. I just finished incorporating the JC 2 into my rig. I have it paired with a Parasound Halo A21 amp.

I started listening to the new set up about ten minutes ago. The second I powered up, I noticed a very substantial improvement in all aspects of sound quality. For those who might be interested, I will articulate on that subject in a later post.

I am currently playing with a new pair Klipsch Heresy III horn speakers. This particular speaker lacks lower end. As a result, I purchased a Polk MicroPRO 2000 sub to assist in that arena.

I have much to learn when it comes to this hobby. The former being the case, I am hoping someone might be willing to assist me with direction on how to hook up the MicroPRO 2000 to the JC 2/A21. I was using Audioquest Black Thunder sub cables with the P3. I can't figure out if I can utilize the AQ Black Thunder sub cables with the JC 2/A21 combo. If I can, how do I accomplish this?

Any insight or assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly for any help one can provide.

Andy
Post edited by Beta on

Comments

• Beta
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I have the JC 2 and the A21 connected via the left and right balanced input/outputs. Is possible to utilize the left and right RCA input/outputs for the Black Thunder cables going to the sub (they have RCA terminations)?

Can balanced connections and the RCA connections on the A21 be utilized simultaneously (i.e. balanced to the JC 2 and RCA to the MicroPRO 2000? Is this plausible? Or should the sub be connected to the JC 2 via the same scenario articulated above?

I could really use some help with my "learning curve" on this matter.

Thanks again.

Andy
  • TG Meat
    TG Meat Posts: 159
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Both XLR and RCA upput at the same time. You could also hook the sub to the tape out of the JC2, and let the sub's crossover do the work, since the JC 2 does not offer bass management. Im sure you will enjoy this Preamp.
    Anthem D2v
    NAD M50 Music Server
    B & K Reference 200.5
    Parasound A21
    B & W 804 (Mains)
    B & W HTM1 (Center)
    Polk Rti4 (Surrounds)
    PS3
    Seaton Submersive HP
    Pioneer PDP 6010FD Kuro
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Congrats on the JC2!! Good to hear it arrived safely!

I'd suspect that both the balanced outputs and RCA outputs are live at the same time. Try hooking up the sub to the RCA outputs, and see if it works. The worst that will happen, is the sub won't work. Nothing will be damaged.:)

I can't wait to hear some listening impressions! That's a hell of a preamp!
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Beta
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Spoke to Tony at Parasound this morning. The main output balanced and RCA terminals are simultaneously active.

Question answered. Problem solved.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Sounds like you've got your day all set then.;) I don't have any new toys to play with, but I'm about to go sit down for a good long listening session myself.:)

Make sure to report back with some impressions!!
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's