No bass out of two ways

Options
polkfan38
polkfan38 Posts: 360
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a wierd one that is driving me nuts. I installed a Alpine head unit in my car a few years back. It's a 20 year old car. About 4 months ago, I lost all bass. From all speakers! When I adjust the bass. I can hear it come and go but, I would say there is nothing below about 1kHz or so. I will add that the speakers are original. I will be replacing them very soon however. Has anyone run into this problem? The speakers are two ways and I am getting some sound from the woofers but like I said, nothing below about 1kHz. I am praying it is not the head unit! Any thoughts?
Thanks
Things are more like they are now than they ever will be!
Post edited by polkfan38 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2010
    Options
    First thing that comes to mind, 20 year old car, original speakers - they have foam surrounds?

Pop the covers / panels off and have a look see.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • polkfan38
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I will try that soon. My guess is that they have paper surrounds though. Regardless of type, they need to go! I will let you know what I find.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If all went simultaneously, it's more likely within the head unit/amp.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • polkfan38
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know exactly when it happened. It was my dads car that was just wiled to me. A 1990 Cadillac Seville in near mint condition. I was the one that put the head unit in as the original had long crapped out. It never had a lot of bass when the new head unit was put in but, it is all but gone now. And like I said, I can adjust the bass up and down and I can hear a difference as I do so. Next week, I am going to get new rears. If this does not solve the problem, it is the head unit at fault. Also, there is a function to turn a sub on or off. I have done that but, with no effect.
  • polkfan38
    edited May 2010
    Options
    OK, I pulled one of the rear speakers. It looks to be a 6X9 in size. BUT, the bottom of the magnet said 10 ohms. Now, I am not a expert here but, I think I need 4 ohm speakers. Is the 6 ohm difference going to cause bad sound? Oh, the surrounds were OK.
  • Cthulhu11
    Cthulhu11 Posts: 69
    edited May 2010
    Options
    when you put the alpine head unit in did make sure to tap the factory amp turn on, it is a cadillac most of them have some type of amp in them. if so then do you have the speaker wires behind the radio out of phase, if so you speakers will have hardly any mid-bass at all. if that is all correct then look at the head unit setting. Depending if it's a CDE series, and CDA, or even a IDA, check the settings. if anything the system should've gotten better, your putting almost twice as much power and voltage to the factory system.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I don't believe the 1990 Seville had a factory amp. If anything it might of had a seperate tuner but if it did then you would have had to run wires to the tuner location or you would have not gotten any sound. I would say your speakers are blown. One thing is for sure after 20 years you need to replace the speakers. GM used a 10 ohm speaker but your replacements will be 4 ohm so you will get better and louder sound.
  • polkfan38
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You are right Installer. No seperate amp in this one. All I have to say right now is, it sounds terrible! In a lot of ways, it sounds like a $3 Radio Shack 4 inch speaker hooked up to a Walkman! Almost exactly! I just hope the problem is fixed with the new speakers.