Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited June 2003 in Music & Movies
Rock and Roll Reminiscing

25 May 2003 --- Letter Of The Week is “T”

For what this is about and some guidelines please click on the following link:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7234

Yes, it’s a long post, but please read, if you participate.

This week we are only discussing artists whose last name, and groups whose name begin with the letter “T”.

Note: The word “The” doesn’t count, so for example “The Allman Brothers Band” belongs in the "A's" discussion and not in the “T’s” (guideline #5).

When possible, please supply complete title, format, company, year and catalog number when posting recordings.

And so our 26-week odyssey continues…

Hope you come along for the ride… ;)
smilie_t.gifsmilie_t.gifsmilie_t.gifsmilie_t.gif
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tour.

I noticed in your guidelines for these threads you said "but who would want to discuss Three Dog Night?'" O.K. I'll do it.

Three Dog Night.

Black & White, Shambala, Liar, Eli's Coming, One, Brickyard Blues, Never Been To Spain, Old fashioned Love Song, and Celebrate are some of the best. For some reason, I really like listening to Joy To The World while eating a plate of bullfrog legs and drinking wine.

I'm out of time for now, or I would cover Mel Torme. Maybe someone else could step in to do that one.

joe
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs (Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition) - 1999 - This 24 bit remaster of the 1974 classic rock album is excellent. This edition replaced the last track (the single version of "Day Of The Eagle) with a longer live version. In addition there are 4 bonus live cuts of studio versions on the album ("Bridge Of Sighs", "Too Rolling Stoned", "Lady Love", and "Little Bit Of Sympathy"). The entire album (original or extended) is good from start to finish. This one lets you compare his studio work to his live performances. Both are good. Robin was with Procol Harum. He has basically been solo since then and is still a very good guitar player...but nothing since has lived up to this one. For those of you that have never heard of this album it is a must have.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by joe6pak
    Tour.

I'm out of time for now, or I would cover Mel Torme. Maybe someone else could step in to do that one.

joe

The only thing I know about Mel Torm

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Options
    James Taylor
    Hourglass (SACD)
    Columbia Cat#ACS 67912

New format for an old standby! This is another great album from a legend. I thoroughly enjoy every track on the multi-channel SACD. It’s mellow, so it may not be for everyone, but if you’re a fan of JT you’ll love this album. While you’re out looking for a copy of this CD, you might want to pick up a copy of “Never Die Young” while you’re at it (Columbia Cat# CK 40851) . A few of my favorite JT songs from this CD are “T-Bone” “Home By Another Way” and “Sun on the Moon.”

Traveling Wilburys
    Volume 1
    Wilbury Records
    Cat# 25796-2

The whole Wilbury family turned out to make a great Album! The liner notes list the members a Otis, Nelson, Charlie T. Jr., Lefty, & Lucky Wilbury! You may be more familiar with there former titles, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, George Harrison, and Jeff Lyne. You may have heard of ‘em. With a group like this you can expect to a wide variety of musical styles, and unique vocals that match up nicely with some unusal lyrics. A well done album for fans of the individual Wilburys!

Triumph
    Sport of Kings
    MCA Cat# MCAD-5786 JVC-540

Some great electric guitar work coupled with some pounding bass! I don’t think these guy’s ever achieved the kind of fame that they were looking for but this album is a good example of mid 80’s rock. If you can find a copy in the Used CD bin, or better yet get a free copy somewhere…..Basically a pretty good album to bring back memories of the Semi-Hair band era.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • shack
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Joe - I too liked Three Dog Night "back in the day". I haven't listened to them in a very long time. I've got a couple of LPs in the stack. I may have to pull them out an give them a spin.

• abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tesla - The Great Radio Controversy

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Good stuff!
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Talking Heads
    More Songs About Buildings and Food – Vinyl (1978 Sire – SRK 6058)
    Fear of Music – Vinyl (1979 Sire – SRK 6076)
    Remain in Light – Vinyl (1980 Sire – SRK 6095)
    Speaking in Tongues – Vinyl (1983 Sire – 238883-1)
    Stop Making Sense – Vinyl (1984) and remastered DVD …..
    Little Creatures – Vinyl (1985 Sire – 25305-1)
    Popular Favorites 1976-1992: Sand in the Vaseline – Dbl CD (1992 Sire – 26760-2)

The Heads are a fairly unique group for me because I started following them in the middle of their releases and moved both forwards and backwards. The hook was “Once in a Lifetime”, ‘Same as it ever was, same as it ever was”, and it made Remain in Light my first purchase. It’s the only track casual listeners will know, but the album is strong, thru and thru. This was also the last of the Brian Eno produced Heads releases. Eno was a 70’s glam rocker of some note, although I believe he avoided inclusion back in the E’s.

David Byrne was the driving force behind Talking Heads. The core group consisted of Tina Weymouth (bass), Jerry Harrison (keyboards), and Chris Frantz (drums), but players were added generously to most of the releases. Byrne wrote most of the songs, and nearly all the lyrics. He has a quirky voice that he uses effectively, and every once in a while surprises with its musical qualities.

Each album included really only one stand-out track, two tops, yet never disappointed. More Songs… had their cover of “Take Me to the River”, Fear… had “Life During Wartime”, Speaking… had perhaps their biggest hit, “Burning Down the House”, as well as “Girlfriend is Better”, and … Little Creatures had “And She Was” and “Stay Up Late”. I swear I have their ’88 release, Naked, somewhere, but it did disappoint and was the end of the road.

Stop Making Sense was their acclaimed concert film. I love it. Great sound, wonderful visuals and really all their best songs plus the Tom Tom Club hit, “Genius of Love”. I RECOMMEND this DVD.

For those who want a nice sampler of their studio work, Sand in the Vaseline is it.

EDIT: BTW I also own some Three Dog Night vinyl. Very popular group in their day. Though I did like their music, they always came off a little "manufactured" to me.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Toto - Toto IV - 1982 - (SACD - multi-channel - 2002) - This is one of the first multi-channel SACDs that I purchased. I was a little disappointed in the multi-channel mix on this one. The 2 channel SACD layer is much more to my liking (The only multi-channel SACDs that I prefer over 2 channel are DSOTM and Celene Dion A New Day Has Come - I guess I'm just a stereo guy) - Not great music but ok for early 80s. "Rosanne", "I Won't Hold You Back", "It's A Feeling" and "Africa" are the better tracks.

Ten Years After - I've never owned one of their albums but their 10 minute version of "I'm Going Home" on the Woodstock album has always been a treat. A lot of energy there from Alvin Lee et-al.

BRUCE - Where is **UUUU**?

• shack
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well it looks like we forgot a fairly well known group although they have been mentioned before in posts about individual musicians. Traffic, comprised of Dave Mason(early albums), Jim Capaldi and Steve Winwood made several very good albums in the late 60s and early 70s. Notable albums are:

Traffic - 1968 - "Feelin' Alright" was the best song off this one. I like this album because of the heavy influence of Dave Mason who wrote "Feelin' Alright" and several other songs including "Cryin' To Be Heard" and "You Can All Join In".

John Barleycorn Must Die - 1970 - It has been a long time since I've heard this album but I remember that it had a bit of a cult following in my early college years. Dave Mason was gone and it became more of a vehicle for Winwood. At the time I thought it was pretty good.

The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys - 1971 - This is a CD that I have listened to recently and the title track "The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" and "Rock And Roll Stew" are still great songs. I think this one may qualify as a "must have" for any classic R&R collection.

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Tool - Opiate

Tool - Undertow

Tool -
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Where is **UUUU**?
    shack, I believe the correct grammar is, “Where are **UUUU**…. :D
    FWIW, I posted it. Was feeling and sensing a little burn out, but due to popular demand, we shall persevere.

FZ, as long as we’re talking about James Taylor, I have to give a nod to his 1976 greatest hits release on Warner Brothers. All his great early stuff from Sweet Baby James, Mudslide Slim…, Walking Man and even a couple from Gorilla. There’s probably a remastered release to be had now… Great writer, great effortless voice, maybe the purest ever in the rock genre... My daughter took me to one of his outdoor concerts during her college days. I vividly remember sitting on a grassy hill, chilling to JT, and explaining what “that odor” was…

Shack, big thumbs up on Alvin Lee’s Ten Years After Woodstock performance. The 1991 release, The Essential Ten Years After Collection, on Chrysalis is a decent compilation. In addition to “I’d Love to Change the World”, probably their best known song, it includes a live, non-Woodstock, ten-minute cover of “Going Home” that’s not as good, but gives some sense of the energy Alvin could muster.

Traffic was a bit of an oversight, wasn’t it? Their remastered, two-disc compilation, Smiling Phases, released by Island in 1991 is a great buy. Shows that a band can splinter, but still agree to release such a collection. BTW, I still listen to and enjoy …Barleycorn…. It’s a great album that basically was a rescue of a Winwood solo effort by some old friends that resulted in the reforming of the band.

A few other “T’s” worth mentioning

Television
    Marquee Moon – CD (1977 Elektra – E2 1098)
    Television – CD (1992 Capitol – D 100197)
    This is another of those burn fast and burn bight groups. Splitting after their second studio release and briefly reforming for their self-titled release, 15 years later. A former co-worker, who was amazed I’d never heard of them, loaned me the 1977 release. I can still remember putting it on and beginning to do a little paperwork, I was a dedicated employee at one time. Not long after it began, around the title track, track 4, the paperwork was put aside for the duration and a second listen. This disc is that good. AMG agrees, giving Marquee Moon 5-stars. While the 1992 release is good, their debut is the one to have.

10 cc
    100 cc – Vinyl (1975 London – UKS 53110)
    How Dare You – Vinyl (1976 Polygram – SRM-1-1061)
    Another Brit art-rock group caught my attention with “I’m Not in Love”, a fairly big stateside hit for them. However, it is not on either of the releases I own. It’s on The Original Soundtrack, by far their most highly acclaimed work. Could have sworn I had it as well, but looks like I need to pick up one of the compilation discs… BTW, their name is taken from the average volume of male ejaculation.

George Thorogood and the Destroyers
    Better than the Rest – Vinyl (1979 MCA – MCA-30391)
    The Baddest of… – CD (1992 EMI – D 184002)
    OK, not great, doesn’t write, and overdoes the bottleneck guitar, but usually picks very good material to cover and never comes up short in the effort department. I can’t take him in large doses, but occasional listenings to “I Drink Alone”, or even the overplayed “Bad to the Bone” work for me.

Timbuk 3
    Greetings from… – Vinyl (1986 I.R.S. – I.R.S.-5739)
    “The Futures so Bright I Gotta Wear Shades” was there big, and only, hit. It’s on this release. While it has been a long time, I remember the album had a lot more to offer than this one cut.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• shack
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    shack, I believe the correct grammar is, “Where are **UUUU**…. :D

Well...I was referring to the thread (singular) as opposed to the posts (plural), but that is ok...living in a house with three women I'm used to being told I'm wrong about most everything. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for setting up this whole group of threads and keeping them going! I have enjoyed posting and reading about all of the music. I've remembered a few that I had forgotten and found some new stuff I didn't know about. It seems like we've run out of steam here at the end but maybe joe, F1 and a few of the others will jump back in for the last few letters.

• Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by shack
    Well...I was referring to the thread (singular) as opposed to the posts (plural), but that is ok...living in a house with three women I'm used to being told I'm wrong about most everything. :rolleyes:
    Actually I did recognize the grammar thing, just foolin' around... As for the female population, trust me, it only takes one... :D...

And you're welcome and thanks right back at you. So far I think I've bought over a dozen CD's I either overlooked or did not know about. And have at least that many again on a buy list. It's been fun...

And while I'm posting what about...

T-Rex
    Only ever had 1971's Electric Warrior and now it's just around on an old C-90. But Mark Bolan gave us (and Robert Palmer) "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" and threw in a few other goodies on this oldie including "Jeepster"...

Rock on...
    e99032i3u6o.jpg
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,819
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm still in this.

I should have posted in the T's , but........

Shack, "Low Spark" is an essential piece of music. Good call.

Tour, good call on Talking Heads and I'll add to GT & the Destroyers.

ANTHOLOGY - 2000 EMI 72435-27573-2-9 CD

LIVE - 1986 EMI 46329-2 CD

MOVE IT ON OVER - i've got it somewhere

Back in the day I use to catch him playing around Baltimore and DC. The first time I went to see him was at a bar called No Fish Today in Baltimore. As we walked up to the place we see some guy standing in the middle of N. Eutaw St. whaling away on his axe while the rest of the band is inside jamming. We stood face to face, our jaws on the street, while GT just grins at us. He's best live in a bar, just seems to get him going. My fav is "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" and "Madison Blues."

Shack, he has a good song for you to play around the house, "You Talk To Much." ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I've got a few from them laying around somewhere:) . My most recent purchase was a used 3 disc set titled "journey through a burning brain (anthology)". 2002 CD.
    Most of their stuff is instrumental (fans blasted their limited vocal works). They are know for their soundtracks (Sorcerer w/Row Sheider) and the fact that they seek out cathedrals for their live shows because of the acoustics.

I'm sorry, but I can't do the whole listing as much of my stuff is in boxes.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    gidrah,
    I too like Tangerine Dream. More than a little "New Age-ish", but good stuff for the right mood.

A few years ago I picked up a copy of the compilation disc, The Private Music of... (1992 Private Music), that is a very good sampler of one of their many, many editions.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    “What do you want from Life? To kidnap an heiress and to threaten her with a knife? … Well you can’t have that, but if you’re an American citizen you’re entitled to: a heated, kidney-shaped pool … (and on and on until)… a solid gold, kama sutra coffee pot or a baby’s arm holding an apple

The above is from a “T” that almost got away except for looking at the line up on an old reel to reel, which in turn led to a couple CD buys which led to tonite… er… this morning…
    The Tubes
    The Tubes – CD (and R2R) (1975/ 1988 A&M – CD 3161)
    I was surprised to find that this transfer was made as there was a ton of legal sh-stuff wrapped around it for a long time. Chances are you know at least one of their songs, “She’s a Beauty”, but it ain’t on this debut. It came on a much later release from a group that was hungry for hits and got them.

Produced by Al Kooper and led by lead vocalist, “Fee Waybill”, and guitarist, Bill Spooner, The Tubes is raw, clever and irreverent, and contains tracks that are on none of their compilation discs. “What Do You Want from Life?” is my all-time favorite and damn it’s good SDA stuff. Other big tracks are: “White Punks on Dope”, “Boy Crazy” and “Mondo Bondage” or as they used to be collectively known, side 2 of the album. The later was one of several shock numbers created for their early, and outrageous, stage shows; the kind of stuff cults are made of. And they were outrageous enough that they continued to have to post “obscenity” bond before their shows even after they mellowed in their last years. Not everything here is golden, but there is a lot of very, very good work here to go with the gold. And speaking of gold, it’s available on a MFSL gold disc… for ~$100 used… :D…

For the rest of their career, The Best of…, a 1992 compilation on Capitol is a good sampler. It covers their later and somewhat more commercial work after A&M dropped them. I say “somewhat” because how commercial can an album based on a sales training manual be? Commercial enough apparently as Completion Backwards Principle yielded two modest hits, “Talk to You Later” and “Don’t Want to Wait Anymore”. Also covered are stints with our boy, Todd Rundgren, producing. A lot on this disc is good, but the brash debut is the one I love.
    f77134jl30e.jpg I just wish I could show you the back cover... eye candy-ish it be... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli