No Sound from Mains

Options
I purchased a new PSW450 and hooked the sub as per the following:

- Using pre-out from my pre-amp (Kenwood Basic C1)
- I have the mains R30's connected to the subvia the speaker out connections.

My power amp went bye bye so I'm using the PSW's amp to power the system.

I'm a little confused about the documentation regarding the adjustments to my system i.e. Front speakers = LARGE, Subwoofer = OFF or NO

I do not see any of these adjustments on my equipment nor on the PSW.
John Keene
Aliso Viejo, CA
Post edited by mrmominoc on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm about 99% sure that the PSW-450 amp will only power the sub, not your main speakers. You still need power coming from your reciever or a seperate amp.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I can throw in that extra 1% to make it 100% sure the sub amp won't power the speakers.

The only thing that will come out of the Speaker Outs, is the same thing that goes into the Speaker Ins. If your main amp went bye bye, you're only options (unfortunately) are to fix or replace it.

As far as Bass Management goes (Speaker size settings), that will be foud on the Receiver (but only if the receiver has it) not the sub.
  • mrmominoc
    mrmominoc Posts: 3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    You may be right. Looking at the documentation the mains are still connected to the power amp and a use of a 'Y' cable to get the signal to the sub. Thanks for the info. It looks like I need to go shopping for a new receiver.
    John Keene
    Aliso Viejo, CA
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Happy Hunting- let us know if you need any advice
  • mrmominoc
    mrmominoc Posts: 3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I went to the local electronics superstore that has "circuit" in its name and purchased a Sherwood RD6108 (5X100W) and hooked the system up using the recommended method and the mains are finally online! PSW450 placement is not in a corner but next to (12") the AV cabinet (only a wall behind it). The AV cabinet is made of REAL wood and weighs a ton! Phase 0, Bypass between 90 and 125. I have the following questions:

I'm new to this AVR hardware (old school guy with only bass, treble, and loudness controls) and am wondering about channel level adjustments when using Dolby effects. Apparently I can adjust each channel via a range of -15 > +15 db. Are these channel adjustments equal to overall 'loudness' adjustments?

I've noticed that my main volume control goes from MIN to aprox 60. At first I really had to crank to volume up to 40 to get any decent volume (music and movie). However, after having the system running for some time I'm able to run a volume level of 25 Is this because the amp or speakers needed to be broken in?

I'm really happy with the PSW450 and the R30's I have! The clarity of the highs and mids from the R30's are great and the low end source from the PSW450 is tight and not artificial. However, due to the music media I have found that the PSW450 needs sub volume adjusment at times. Pop (Madonna) I need to turn the volume down, some jazz (Dave Koz) the bass seems powering, New Rock (A Perfect Circle) the same, Rock (Def Lepard) no adjustments along with blues (Stevie RayVaughn). Like the main volume question above - Do I need to break the PSW a few more days? I first started with the sub volume between mid point and MAX. Now, I'm adjusting between the mid point and MIN setting. By the way, the sub volume adjustment is being done because I live in an apartment and I'm a nice neighbor :-).

I've been a follower of Polk hardware since they first started back in the late 70's (most notably the SDA series). I really didn't think I could afford Polks but if you look around (on the web) they can be affordable! Does Polk have a surround sound 'completer package' (rears and center channel) that's affordable? I'm looking at a pair of R15s and recommended center to complete the sound hardware. I have a pair of old AudioSource minis to use as rears (still need a center). Should I just wait and save my pennies to get Polks?
    John Keene
    Aliso Viejo, CA
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    First, congrats on your new system, sounds like you are motivated. I would slowly burn those speakers in, don't crank them so much in the first 24 hours or so...some people believe in this method, some don't...go with your gut. This volume issue may have to do with your receiver, its fine, just that it probably isn't the most efficient receiver you could have looked for at Circuit City. You do have 30 days I believe...?? Go back and demo some HK/Yamaha or Sony, see how you like them.

The adjustment of the sub level, filter included, is common. Just find your happy spot, and run with it.

Timbre, voice matching wise, save your pennies. Your system is matched for any R series for surround, and the recommended center is the smallish CSi20, but should serve your purposes fine. The Audiosource will be fine until you get all Polk'd up :)

Do you need to wall mount the rears? If not upgrade your fronts, and move the current to the rear. Keep us posted and have fun :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.