The Pianist

Options
kberg
kberg Posts: 974
edited May 2003 in Music & Movies
Hey Gang,

A friend of mine saw this movie and said it was really good, but I have yet to see it. Being that it is coming out on DVD this Tuesday, are there any recommendations out there from you who might say "Don't bother renting it, just buy it - it's THAT good" or perhaps "Don't waste your time even renting it"?

I'm asking only because, like many of you, I'd like to add the $4 I'd spend renting a DVD to the cost of its purchase, but only if I have a pretty good feeling up front that it would be worth it. I did this with We Were Soldiers (never saw it at the theater or even rented it before buying the DVD) and loved the movie. Since opinions are just what they are (subjective), you could say something like "If you liked/hated X movie, you'll really like/hate The Pianist" - that could help.

Thanks in advance.
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I just ask myself am I going to watch this more than 3 times. Because if I do then I will buy it. I do this anytime I decide if I buy it or rent it. I do however, have about 10 movies (previously viewed) movies I got for dirt cheap.
    But for the movie "Pianist," I don't plan on watching that more than once, so I'm going to rent it. I heard its really good from numerous friends and Roman Polanski is a great director.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I rented it last night and although I enjoyed it very much, it wasn't enough for me to plunk down the bucks for a purchase - but a GREAT rental for me.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688