New DVD player.

Options
setzer808
setzer808 Posts: 173
edited May 2003 in Electronics
Hey guys,

Looks like I'll have a great chance to buy a new DVD player tomorrow, my potential places of purchase are CC, Best Buy, Sears, Wal-Mart, Tweeter. (strange combo I know, but its whats local) I'm looking for a sub -$150 player with Progressive Scan RGB outputs and another features are just icing on the cake.

Closer to $99 would be idea (such as the $99 Panasonic I'm seeing all over, especially in Wal-Mart). Would this be a suitable unit. My old-school Apex is just not letting my 36" RCA do what it should. Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help.
Polk CS245i Center
Polk RT55i Mains
Polk RT25i Rears
Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
Post edited by setzer808 on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Target has a progressive scan Panasonic for $99.99

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_9/602-9411754-6595863?asin=B00008SJWG

Edit: oops you have that mentioned in your post... brain ****, good thing it's friday!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • setzer808
    edited May 2003
    Options
    That appears to be a silver version of the ones I've seen. Anyone know if its a good deal?
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2003
    Options
    It's low end, what do you expect? IMO...You should keep saving your pennies and buy a really good DVD player. Keep the one you have, because this one isn't going to utilize your systems potential either.

You should always buy the best you can so you're not wasting way more money than you have to upgrading like 20 times. I've got a **** DVD player myself, but i'm not going to be the next step up....i'm going to buy 10 steps up when I can afford it. I know it's hard to do this, but it's worth it.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,655
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Is your RCA HD or HD ready? My understanding is that if it isn't, progressive scan won't make any difference
  • setzer808
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Its not HD, though it does offer RGB inputs. Does this mean anything in regards to acceptatnce of progressive scan? Or will it simply let me use the inputs for Interlaced RGB.

--in regards to keeping my current player, I still think I'll go ahead and do a "quick-fix" upgrade...even my PS2 seems to have a better picture than my Apex.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Then you have no need right now for a progressive scan dvd player right now...Just becasue a TV has component video does not make it support progressive scan. You need a HD tv capable of displaying a 480p or higher resolution.

So if you do not plan on upgrading you TV any time soon then you might want to consider buying a non progressive scan dvd player that have component video outputs. This should improve picture quality over what you are currently using...unless your apex already has component video out...in which case you don't need to buy anything yet until you get that new HD tv...

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • setzer808
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thank you Thank you Thank you BeginnersLuck!

Thats the exact answer I've been looking for. I'll likely just pick up a slightly higher quality DVD player (I have a parent in need of a second room player and the Apex will do just fine for them) that has Component Outputs. I hope I see a similar difference as when I switched from Composite to S-Video. That was amazing.

Thanks all!
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears