Phew! Whatta scare!

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
The front right speaker was making soem crackling noises last week. I noticed it but it seemed to go down when I turned the volume down so I chalked it up to distortion and made a mental note to lower the gain slightly.

Well, after work today, I got into the truck, turned on the CD player and noticed that there was something amiss. I shoved the balance all the way to the right. Sounded ok but it was missing something and sounded kinda flat. So I pushed the fader all the way forward and sure enough, no sound from the woofer.

I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach thinking that one of my precious dB's had blown! So I rushed home and took the door panel off and pulled the woofer. Everything looked ok as I was pulling it out. When I got the woofer out, I found out why it wasn't working.

That woofer vibrated the speaker clip right off it's terminal. So it was loose last week and every time the speaker hit a hard bass note, it was vibrating the speaker wire, causing the connection to come loose and crackle. So lowering the volume would have stopped it of course.

I shover the wires back on and squeezed them down with a pari of pliers to put more pressure on the clip to hold it there. Hopefully, it won't happen again.

Now I have to go and let my hearing recover because I finally got the gain settings on the amp adjust just right so that when the head unit is playing at full volume, it is on the teetering edge of distortion. That Kenwood X650D 5 channel amp is an abundant well of power. It never stops coming and it seems like there is always more there. I've turned the gain all the way up on the sub and pushed teh bass boost up to 12 dB and that dB10 takes all of it and asks for more! Granted, it's only 300 watts but, all 300 watts are present and accounted for and I think they brought along a few of thier friends!.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    .... there are little gnomes living in your door panels chewing on your wires... didn't you know that?

spade clips tend to do that --- after a few months /year / whatever they loosen up -- one of the many reasons i swear by solder. its a pain to do to a door speaker, but in the event that the window (when rolling down or up) brushes up against the wire, its not coming loose. watch with my luck it'll get caught and rip the damned tinsels right out of the speaker one of these days.

willie nelson would sound like terd with no midbass.

... just hope that by kicking the wire gnomes out of your door you didn't leave a vacancy where the underpants gnomes from South Park could move in. They're mean buggers... and I dont think i have to tell you what they steal.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    I already have an underpants gnome. She steals them all the time and the "expects" something to get them back.

I used spade connectors because the tweeters are mounted to the doors and I'd rather pull the spade connectors off than have a window damage a speaker or rip wires in half and cause me to have to either replace the wire completely or solder a splice in. Besides, at $2.00 a foor for the wire that I got for the fronts, it's expensive to replace and a pain because the amp is behind teh seat so teh speaker wires run under the carpeting, up through the dash, through the flexible rubber conduit in teh door and down to the speakers. About 10-12 feet of 12 guage twisted speaker wire. Yep, defintly difficult to replace.

Besides, all my connections are insulated so I'm not losing any signal strength or anything either. On top of that, the doors are cavernous inside. Plenty of room. So much room that the window doesn't roll down far enough to even contac the speaker wires and the crossovers are velcroed to the inside of the outer door skin.

Ah Velcro! The wonders of modern science!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    .... "she 'expects' something to get them back"

LMFAO...

2 bucks a foot - YIKES - what brand is that? and have u ever had them hooked up with anything lesser (i'm wondering if u noticed an audible diference?)...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge