Kicker VS Polk NEED HELP!!

Options
Sick Prowler
Sick Prowler Posts: 5
edited April 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I currently have (1) 12" Kicker CVX sub with 750rms and a sensitivity of 87.1 db. I want to replace this sub with (2) 12" Polk MM1240 subs with a 425rms and a sensitivity of 92 db. I am curious if anyone out there had heard both these and if the (2) Polk sub will bass louder than the (1) kicker. Ive heard the kicker already and it bangs real good I'm just wondering about the polks. By judging by the specs you would think the polks would be but I want to know from someone that has actually heard both. Perferably both at the same. Any help would be great. What to have a little intel before I jump on buying the polks. THX. Also this playing in open air with a ported box. Its firing up in the air in the bed of my 2008 Arctic Cat Prowler XTX Atv
Post edited by Sick Prowler on

Comments

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kicker= Cheap loud bass
    Polk = Good quality bass
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kicker is excellent stuff. Look thru the SPL lanes and youll see a ton of Kicker subs slamming and winning.

That being said, two 12's getting 900 watts RMS total will be louder than one 12 getting 750 watts RMS.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dubradio
    dubradio Posts: 181
    edited April 2010
    Options
    From previously selling Kicker I can say they will offer high DB output and if that is your goal(which it sound like it is) then they would be a better choice for you. however you will sacrifice clarity(which would seem to be an issue considering you would be installing them in an ATV). The polk subwoofers may not achieve the same SPL output levels, but the trade off will be significantly cleaner and a more transient bass response.

The best bang for the buck would be our DB series, Easy to drive, very efficient woofers.
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've heard the db's hooked to a Punch 1000 and they sound better than 2 kicker CVR 12's. Don't think you'd be disappointed although I haven't heard the CVXs
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2010
    Options
    For that specific vehicle the Kicker may just be better. You're going to lose a ton to wind and road noise, may as well have extra db's. For a normal car yeah, polk>kicker if sq is your goal and kicker if you're more into spl.
  • mhmacw
    mhmacw Posts: 832
    edited April 2010
    Options
    just my .02 but ive been a stillwater fan for many years. with the right crossover i think youl be supprized what kicker will deliver.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited April 2010
    Options
    In your situation you would probably be wasting your money. Lets say you wanted it to sound twice as loud as it does now. You have one 12" woofer with "X" amount of power. I do not know what "X" is but lets assume its 750 watts. For you to increase the output so that it sounds twice as loud you would have to double the power about 3 times or to 6000 watts. Now if you double the speakers and double the power your output will increase about 6db. You would hear this difference although to get to the twice as loud level you need to increase to 10db. So if you double the speakers (to 2) then double the power to 1500watts you go up 6db. Double your power again and you get to about 9db. Almost there.. Doubling your speakers would not make that great of a difference by themselves. Two questions in one. What it the impedence of the voice coils on your CVX and what amp is driving it?
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I hope you've accepted the limitations of your install. On the move, you're always going to feel short changed. Engine, wind, road noise is going to cancel out a lot of your sound. If you're trying to get somewhere near a normal car sq/spl setup, you'd be wasting your time and $$.

So yes two subs and more power would make it 2-4 db louder, but again you'd lose a chunk of that to the cancellations. You can make out the diff between louder / softer at around +/- 2db, a bit lower actually. Point is you would hear a slight diff but you'd still feel short changed ;)
  • mhmacw
    edited April 2010
    Options
    all the technical stuff aside as we all know it looks good on paper but not necessarily in the real world. if you want a roll up stereo for the camp fire get 2 kicker 10s and a sunfire amp/ two kicker 6x9s and a sunfire for those as well. you will sound clear as hell and be the rockenest atv around i guarentee it!
  • Sick Prowler
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The 12" CVX is DVC 4 ohm and a JL Audio MHD 750/1 is pushing it. I also have a (4) 6.5" memphis marine and (4) 8" memphis marine speakers all 4 ohm with a JL Audio MHD 600/4 pushing all 8 speakers with a 2 ohm load on both amps. I have (2) Kinetik HC3800s batteries ran parallel to power the system.
  • Sick Prowler
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well the cancellations you speak of are not much of a factor. We ride at Outlaws ATV park in Crosby, TX. which has a lot of water that people ride thru and hang out by. My Prowler is usually parked and not running for most of the day and the radio blasting at max. My highs and mids pretty much drown out my sub so thats why I was wondering if the (2) 12" Polk MM1240 using the same amp as explained earlier will be louder than the 12" CVX I have in it now. Which is in a 2.25 cu in ported box custom built for the CVX
  • mhmacw
    edited April 2010
    Options
    if you were to build a box like this to put them in they sure would. this one is scales to a 15" i think but you could scale it down for 12".
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Get you some SR124-DVC and be done with it I would put the SR up againts any kicker. I run 2 SR's 12" and love them they sound great and they put out plenty SPL along with the cleanest sound you will ever hear. Im driving mine with a PA 1200.1 1000 watts.:)
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • Sick Prowler
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah well I kinda figured that. But the SR's rms is alot higher than the MM's. Which would mean another amp. Im trying to stick with the amps I already have which are very expensive. So thats why I was wonder if two 12" MM's would be louder than the one 12" L7 CVX by Kicker. This is all Im looking for LOUDNESS. Which one?
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Whats the RMS on your amp? I would go with 1 SR124-DVC its plenty loud along with great SQ.
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • mhmacw
    edited April 2010
    Options
    if it were me i would consider a trick enclosure modification to get the performance your looking for. one 12 with 500 rms/8ohm will slam your back in the right enclosure. hell 2 10's iso barric will do the trick as well. we had a subaru wiuth 2 10's in highschool you could hear 4 blocks away. they were kicker 10's and a pb600 gold series pyramid. nothing special but the enclosure. you couldnt talk over it in the cab. we actually cought it on fire haha.....different story different time eh? any way look at boxes man it looks like you got the goods.
  • Cthulhu11
    Cthulhu11 Posts: 69
    edited April 2010
    Options
    kicker is junk its loud, mechanically noise like nobodies business. look at the spl 87.1 that means at 1 watt that speakers is capable of 87 db. the polk 92. higher sensitivity means less power to do just as much. polk (SQ) kicker (SPL) to totally different worlds.

Don't cheat yourself, Treat yourself, because no one loves you like you do!!!!!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There are a lot of SPL world champions using Kicker that would disagree with that.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I would never call Kicker junk they STILL have some of the hardest hitting subs I've ever heard
  • Installer4life
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I would never call Kicker junk they STILL have some of the hardest hitting subs I've ever heard

I agree. I don't care for the pre-fab enclosures that Kicker sells but their woofers at each price point represents a great value. Their amps over perform rated specs and if installed properly will last many years. I would hesitate to install an entire kicker system in my truck and that goes for Polk also. Both are equal when quality is mentioned it just depends on what you like...
  • Cthulhu11
    Cthulhu11 Posts: 69
    edited April 2010
    Options
    there are alot of spl world champions using kicker gear, if you spend enough money you can make anything sound good, but there is alot of average joe's that cannot afford the highest of high end so for that reason i say polk. not only does it sound good, but not too hard on the pocket too.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than promission!
  • Installer4life
    edited April 2010
    Options