Bipole/Dipole Switch....

Options
Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
I recently purchased my FXi30's and my RTi28's. The question I have is on the FXi30's, the bipole/dipole switch, is there a science to which setting it should be set to or is it personal preference. The surround speakers are mounted on the side wall from my seating position 2 foot above my listening position. The surround rear speakers are behind my listening position 2 foot above my listening position. If there is some sort of document out there to better explain dipole/bipole speakers I would really appreciate a link so I can read into it some more or if someone could clearly explain. Thanks...
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Options
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • thajones
    thajones Posts: 30
    edited May 2003
    Options
    My RT/FXs are set to bipole, and are placed about 3 feet above me and on the rear wall, and I liked it better set that way instead of dipole for movie watching, which is what I do the majority of. They're a little high up, but I have a door there that wouldn't allow anything lower.
    Denon 1803 Receiver
    Denon HDCD CD player and DVD Player
    DTV HD Tivo Recorder
    AR Pro Series Interconnects
    Kimber Kable
    48 inch Magnavision HD projection
    Polk CS350 center channel
    Polk RT10s
    Polk RT/fx
    AR 12" slot loaded sub

(Mirage Omnisat system almost complete)
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    If you have a home theater setup disc (ie. Avia), listen to your speakers "in phase" and "out of phase." If you have your f/x on your sides, make sure they are right on the sides of your seating position. If you can get this, and have them set to dipole (out of phase), you'll get some great surround effects.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2003
    Options
    dipole if they are on the side walls..

bipole if they are on the rear wall behind you.

and yes surrounds should be placed 2 to 3 feet above your listening area.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Im using dipole with my lsifx. They are on the side & on 36" stands that works best for me. In the polk speaker manuals for the dipole/bipole speakers they have a pretty good diagram. I think you can download a pdf copy off this site!