KW KDC-X959 "System Q" Q's

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
It's been quite awhile sinc eI posted anything on the Polk Forum.

I was recently forced to get a new deck and I found a deal on the KDC-x959. While I have a higher than knowledge of system set-up (home and car) I have about zero knowledge on determining which frequencies to use and how steep I need to set the roll off of the EQ stuff. Please give me more than whatever sounds best to me. That's what I want, but some general guidelins would be helpful.

Here's my rig:

1995 full size Chevy regular-cab p/u

Speaks: up front I have the Polk 5 1/4" MM (Mobile Monitor) component system. I the rear I have the early Polk 4x6 EX. My sub is an early 10" Kicker XPL 2-ohm.

Amps: I have a Kenwood KAC-624 (40x2) puching the components and a KAC-716 pushing the Kicker.

I'm using the internal crossover in the mono amp with the Kicker and the System Q crossover from the deck at 100hz for the component system and the rear crossover at 220hz.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Wes

Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    i wish i had some sort of a good answer for u, but i've yet to really sit down and play with the better KW decks...

in general however....

I would X the rears lower and steeper... maybe 160 w/ an 18db per octave slope or 180 with a 12 db / octave cut off. if you use 12 or 24 db/octave slopes on your highs and your sub is through a 6 / 18 / 30 db per octave slope then you must either invert phase on all of your speakers (pain in the ****) or just invert phase on the sub... that way the whole vehicle is in phase.

for the front, 100 with a 12db/octave slope would probably be perfect -- that's what i use on my front 6.5" polk components. i find that it hacks out the bass just enough to keep the door speakers from rattling, while still giving just enough bass up front to blend perfectly w/ everything else.

if u can set it for 18 db/octave u might be able to drop down to 90 or 80 hertz. --- which might even be better...

as far as bass / trebble / and all the other toys on the system EQ menu... i'm no help there... i dont even know what it looks like, although i'm sure its amazing -- i really gotta get a new deck... i just have fallen inlove with this old alpine 7864... in its time, it was "sweet as hell" -- now its still sweet as hell but its lacking many of the added "toys" i'd like.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2003
    Thanks, PbD. I guess I'll just keep playing with it and see what I can figure out. If I figure something out I'll let y'all know.

BTW, the new rotary dials on the this year's KW decks are pretty stunkin' annoying! Glad I got the '59 instead of the '69.

Wes
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing