Anybody use Ford's new SYNC system yet?

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,751
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've seen it but I haven't messed with it. All I know is it's integration capabilities. I don't know if it has premium audio equipment or anything.

Reason I'm asking is because if I go and get a new truck, the way they have packages configured, I can't get the truck I want without the SYNC system. Of course, a stock stereo just isn't good enough. But if the SYNC system is integrated in to the truck's systems, I might have to go with a JL or RF converter box.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2010
    Options
    We havent done anything with them yet. Ive seen a lot of them because we do tint for the local ford dealership, but havent really played with them. You should get the SHO taurus :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The SHO can't tow a car. I'm seriously pondering a 2011 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab Long Bed. Yes, diesel and 4x4. Payload is like 2300 pounds, towing capacity is 15K+. It's like $62K but I can get it for around $50K with incentives. The way I figured it is it'll be the last truck I buy for a loooooong time. It'll do anything I ask of it and then some. The diesel should run forever and a half and I can relegate the Lightning to fun times.

Now, if Ford starts selling a Focus RS here with AWD, forget every other car in the line up. Imma be doin' handbrake turns at every corner!

• exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Have you ever tried towing a car with a sho? No? Then how would you know!?!

Kidding aside, my best friend is wanting to get exactly what youre wanting, minus the king ranch edition. Even wants to keep it forever and reserve his cobra for weekend duty.
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I like the King Ranch because the leather that comes in them is really snazzy! I also like the exterior color combinations available. I just wish I could get those bitchin' retractable side steps from the King Ranch Expedition. Those are way cool! I probably spent 20 minutes at the car show opening and shutting the doors just to watch the running boards pop out!

• exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You can get them aftermarket, but they arent cheap...I think i heard $2000 range installed.

The leather is extremely nice and top grade from what ive seen.
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    But the ones on the Expedition, when they are folded up, they look like the rocker panels. that's hard to do with aftermarket stuff.

• exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah, the ones I've seen just fold up under the truck. Like these.
    http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Power_Step/powerstep_automatic_retracting_running_board.htm
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Oh, yes, those are cool as well and I've seen them. But the Expedition, I walked up to it, giddy as a school girl and excited to plant my butt in it and try it out. When I grabbed the door handle and pulled, I thought the body panel fell off. When I looked down I was like "COOL!". I closed the door and opened it again. Got my girlfriend to come over and showed her and she opened the passenger side doors to see it happen too.

• exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Oh, yes, those are cool as well and I've seen them. But the Expedition, I walked up to it, giddy as a school girl and excited to plant my butt in it and try it out. When I grabbed the door handle and pulled, I thought the body panel fell off. When I looked down I was like "COOL!". I closed the door and opened it again. Got my girlfriend to come over and showed her and she opened the passenger side doors to see it happen too.

lol. reminds me of when i was at a bike show. There was a shop there with a custom bike that was on hydraulics. It was on its kick stand and when they lowered it, it really did give the illusion like it was falling down. A random guy is looking at the bike, touches the seat and they hit the remote activated hydraulics...guy is scrambling to catch the bike...priceless.
    -Cody
  • gmprevostt
    gmprevostt Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the sync system is pretty sweet. my girlfriend has it in her 2010 fusion, but she's also got the premium sony system. i know you can get the sync without the premium sound because i had a guy with a 09 f250 that wanted a new radio but wanted to keep the sync because the bluetooth worked so well. so if you do want to go aftermarket and keep the sync system, it's possible. pac-audio makes a harness that keeps everything, bluetooth, usb, steering wheel controls, aux in, i mean everything. the harness is a little pricey at $250, but if you like the sync and hate the radio, it's an option.
  • Jstas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    gmprevostt wrote: »
    the sync system is pretty sweet. my girlfriend has it in her 2010 fusion, but she's also got the premium sony system. i know you can get the sync without the premium sound because i had a guy with a 09 f250 that wanted a new radio but wanted to keep the sync because the bluetooth worked so well. so if you do want to go aftermarket and keep the sync system, it's possible. pac-audio makes a harness that keeps everything, bluetooth, usb, steering wheel controls, aux in, i mean everything. the harness is a little pricey at $250, but if you like the sync and hate the radio, it's an option.

Cool.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I really don't know anything about the Sync system outside of what they demonstrate it doing in their commercials on tv. However, from that little bit I've seen, if it actually works well, I think it's really awesome. Especially if you can navigate through your iPod's collection that you have connected to the stereo. Is there a way to install the Sync system on a non-Ford vehicle?
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There's been aftermarket head units with voice activation for the last couple years.
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I was looking up some radios on Crutchfield last night, and I discovered that! Pretty awesome. I think the only ones I saw were navigation HU's, though. :(
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Cthulhu11
    Cthulhu11 Posts: 69
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You shouldn't have to use a 3sixty.1 or 2 or even a jl cleansweep. Axxess offers an integration harness that will allow you to keep the factory sync, rear entertainment i believe the part number is a ad-fr1 but dont hold it to me. You could easily get a DNX-9140 or something of that nature which would have tons more application for you than the factory could supply. the only reason you would want to use an RF or JL is if you have the factory sony system which is kickbutt, but aftermarket is always better!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2010
    Options
    c'mon John, balls up - rip it all out - and don't cry about non functional steering wheel controls. whatta you, a woman.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    Options
    OK, Vince died years ago so this has to be an invasion of the body snatchers.

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Mac, now you can't say John doesn't have a sense of humour. :)
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2010
    Options
    omg...resurrected from the dead!!

Could it....could it....really be true...??
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's a Lee Majors thing... we have the technology.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge