Who has best DAC's? Burr Brown, Cirrus Logic, Analog Devices, AKM, Wolfson?

Options
digitalvideo
digitalvideo Posts: 983
edited April 2010 in Electronics
I was wondering who has best DAC's between Burr Brown, Cirrus Logic, Analog Devices, AKM, Wolfson etc?
Post edited by digitalvideo on

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I was wondering who has best DAC's between Burr Brown, Cirrus Logic, Analog Devices, AKM, Wolfson etc?

Yes....

The end performance is more about analog output stage design and how well it is implemented - not just the DAC chip.

I think you will find that many respected OEMs use all of the chips you've listed.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited April 2010
    Options

lets add the ess sabre to that list ;)

who's the best depends on what YOU find the most enjoyable to listen to....
    $$$ and internet opinion should be taken for what it is..get your ears on a few types and go with what you enjoy..........
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2010
    Options
    implementation, implementation, implementation...

within each of the brands, there are also several flavors that all modders would have picked over the others. AKM for a long time was the favorite on the high-end and ultra high-end modded players.

ESS DAC "Sabre" 32bit:

ES9012 - 133dB

Burr-Brown/TI DAC 32bit:

PCM1795 - 123dB

AKM DAC 32bit first generation:

AK4397 - 120dB

AKM DAC 24bit last generation:

AK4396 - 120dB

AKM DAC 32bit second generation:

AK4399 - 123dB

and finally an older 24bit DAC by Burr-Brown/TI:

PCM1794A - 132dB
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The latest dac chip from ESS is the es9018. It sounds much better than the previous models. The power supplies and the voltage out conversion are as important as the chip.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What kinda devices carry the ess?
  • Erik Tracy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What kinda devices carry the ess?

The modified Oppo BDP-83 does.

I think the new Wyred 4 Sound DACs do too.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's all in how it's implemented into the CDP. There is no "best".

The CDP's analog stage is going to have a much greater effect on it's overall sound than the DAC will.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's all in how it's implemented into the CDP. There is no "best".

The CDP's analog stage is going to have a much greater effect on it's overall sound than the DAC will.

OK what has these 32bit dacs and....... a good analog stage?
  • Erik Tracy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    OK what has these 32bit dacs and....... a good analog stage?

Well, NAD uses Burr Brown and Wolfson DACs.

Cambridge Audio uses alot of Wolfson and the higher end players use Analog Devices for DACs.

Marantz uses Cirrus Logic

Bryston uses a Crystal (Cirrus Logic?) DAC.

I think Pioneer CDPs use Wolfson DACs as well.

[Google is your friend....]

So, it isn't just the DAC - its the overall design and the other components in the analog stage that will determine overall sound quality.

• Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited April 2010
    Options
    and Denon 4308Ci?
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I got the ES9018 (BuffaloII)from Twisted Pear Audio as a kit with the newer better Placid power supplies. Hard to get (sell out instantly)from them but they are great to deal with and their stuff sounds good. I have the ES9008 (Buffalo24) still, will probably use it on the cable box to try to make tv sound better. The ES9018 sounds great. Better all round compared to the ES9008. The Placid power supplies help a lot. I used the linear PS at first due to some missing parts. When I got the parts and installed the Placid things sounded better. So I am a real believer when it comes to better power supplies.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • DMara
    DMara Posts: 1,434
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    and Denon 4308Ci?

Why don't you go look at its manual? This info is so easy to find out by oneself.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2010
    Options
    As we have stated in other threads, the chip is only part of a products overall sound. I would never buy a piece based solely on the chip set.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The Denon uses Burr Brown PCM 1791....

As said above..different DACs for different folks. It's really really hard to say one is the 'best'. Manufacturers choose what works 'best' with their 'design' and for their House sound! With Pioneer for example, on the new ICE amps....Wolfsons seem to be best for that neutral detailed dynamic sound that ICE amps put out. And so on....

IMO the majority of DACs listed above are all first rate.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]