Which speakers should I get???

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was looking into some 6x9's and saw two sets that I liked. I have to decide between the Polk EX369 which go for a very appealing price on crutchfield at the moment, or just splurge and go with the infinity kappa's. The Kappa's go for $249 and the Polk are $99. Will I really notice that big of a difference between the two????

Also, I've got an Alpine head unit that supposedly puts out I think 50 x 4. Would it really be worth while to power these 6x9's with an amp other than my head unit. Is the amp power cleaner or something because I always see people hooking up external amps to their 6x9's that aren't rated much higher than what their head units are.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2003
    Have you heard both sets in a store somwhere? What I like..you may not like... I personaly dont care for the Infinity Tweeter- In any of thier speakers. The kappas sound very much like tin..or tinny effect I call it! If its between these two..I'd say get the Polks and at that price..not like your going to lose !:cool:
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    well the polk are not bad, certainly not for the price...

but the infinity are garbage.

the best 6x9's crutchfield currently carries IMO are the kenwood excelon's for 200.

however, the JBL GTO's for 150 are a hell of a speaker too.

the best 6x9's i ahve ever heard off a head unit were the old pioneer TSA gold-ish cone models with the cloth surround and ceramic tweeter... not that they were anything really expensive or of any superior design, but they just got loud off small amounts of power (50 watts deck power = 25 watts RMS -- thats why a 50 watt rms amp beats the hell out of a 25 watt deck that isn't even full bandwidth... its truncated for efficiency) and they sounded extremely good.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    i think it is worth it to get an amp
    amp power is much cleaner than deck power
    and 6x9s are bigger speakers that usually need more than like 22-25 watts rms of dirty power
    if youll get a small rockford fosgate amp rated like 10-20 watts below the rated power of the 6x9s then i think youll be happier than off deck power
    rf amps are underrated so youll make up those 10-20 watts and probably plus some
    itll sound better, play louder, and have less of a chance of blowing speakers with an amp
    -Cody