I was only looking for a little advice....

Options
Beta
Beta Posts: 267
edited April 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
Back in May of 2008 I made my first visit to this forum. I was looking for a little advice as to how to better power a pair of Polk Audio speakers. At the time, my rig consisted of a pair of Polk RT2000i speakers, a Denon AVR 3802 receiver and a Denon DCM-380 CDP. It simply wasn't providing the sound I was looking for.

I have been into 2 channel audio since I was a kid in the mid 1970s. I had no idea one simple visit to a web forum could spawn in me such a deep interest in this hobby.

I am grateful this forum exists and I am grateful there are people such as those here at Club Polk who are always happy to help those like myself who wish to continue to expand their understanding of the vast intricacies this hobby has to offer.
Post edited by Beta on

Comments

• Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yep...its a great place.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited April 2010
    Options
    +1! This is the only place on the web where I've taken the next step and have actually met the people behind the screen names.
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ha, same happened to me. I started out with Polk Monitor 70's, an Onkyo avr and an Onkyo dvd player. I've learned soo much about audio from this forum.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Back in May of 2008 I made my first visit to this forum. I was looking for a little advice as to how to better power a pair of Polk Audio speakers. At the time, my rig consisted of a pair of Polk RT2000i speakers, a Denon AVR 3802 receiver and a Denon DCM-380 CDP. It simply wasn't providing the sound I was looking for.

I have been into 2 channel audio since I was a kid in the mid 1970s. I had no idea one simple visit to a web forum could spawn in me such a deep interest in this hobby.

I am grateful this forum exists and I am grateful there are people such as those here at Club Polk who are always happy to help those like myself who wish to continue to expand their understanding of the vast intricacies this hobby has to offer.

Truth be told you've put together one hell of a system there! Love the Parasounds! And the Klipsch are monsters, ICs, etc.!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2010
    Options
    cool, and glad you hold no grudges for emptying your wallet a bit along with the related collateral WAF damages.............2-channel is addictive.

Now did I ever mention Tubes Rule!!!!!!

have fun

RT1
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That's right Tubes are Awesome! I highly recommend getting a taste of tube love in your rig. I started with a cheap $300 tube preamp, then tried a tube cd player, then a tube amp. From that experience, I don't think I could go back to an all solid state rig. Of course YMMV.
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Funny you should mention tubes....

I just so happen to be in the initial stages of educating myself on tube gear.

My next move is probably going to be a new preamp. I am beginning to sniff around the internet visiting various web pages in search of tube related gear and information.

However, I do have to admit, I keep circling back to Parasound's (ss) Halo JC 2 preamp. When I visit Parasound's web page to covet the JC 2, I tend start drooling.

Yep. This hobby is expensive!
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lol, between Jesse and Ted I have learned one thing about tubes....THEY RULE!! This is a great place with some very knowledgable people, I just recently got my feet wet in the 2 ch. world and am slowly putting one together myself.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I had a ton of great SS equipment which I prized greatly. I tried an entry level tube integrated and knew right away all the SS stuff would all be sold within a few weeks. It was.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yes, and Chuck sold alot of the ss to me, which I then sold for tube gear..........that would be a trend.

beta---the only cure for the covet is the acquire.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I have to say that although some of us are not that old, we do remember when TUBES were all you could get? And SS was hardly that well developed past rudimentary applications. Most amps used to be tube amps! So there is a part of me, I guess my 'age' that has to smile when I hear that 'tubes rule'. Not that I agree or disagree....it's been an interesting life I've had so far.

I also believe that we are on the verge of some 'unbelievable' breakthroughs in SS designs in the coming years and the final bridging of the analog-digital divide. Hope it happens sooner rather than later.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]