Changes to my system

Options
TinySofa
TinySofa Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I put my dads old stuff in my car a week or two ago. I have two 10" Polk GXR subs, a 200 watt radioshack amp, and an unfinished box with polyfill in it.

I was wondering what I can change to make it sound better. Sometimes the bass won't work right but I don't know if it's the wiring, amp, or subs. Also does anyone know if the subs are have are good? If I got new ones they would be cheap.

I was going to finish the box but before I do I want to know if I should change anything.

100_2212.jpg
100_2215.jpg
100_2216.jpg
100_2218.jpg
100_2219.jpg
Post edited by TinySofa on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2010
    Options
    sad-smiley-028.gif

Seriously?

Well in case this isnt a joke, Im not sure where to start.

I guess what jumps out at me first is before you burn your car to the ground, please, for the love of God and all that is holy, CLEAN UP THE WIRING!! Carpeted trunk liner + lots of crappy wiring just lying around = FIRE!

Second, that amp is probably worth more as a boat anchor than an amp. Assuming that 200 watts isnt a "max" rating, then its more than likely what it can do at 4 ohms mono and since youre running it in 2 channel, its making more like 50 watts per sub which isnt gonna cut it at all. So youre not getting any output because you simply dont have the power to push those subs.

Third, and this is just a stab in the dark, but Id be willing to bet youve got the gain cranked all the way up or pretty close. Youre clipping your amp which is sending out pure distortion which will sound like crap. If you had a bigger amp it would also blow those subs but even clipped, that thing aint gonna make enough power to blow em thankfully.

Fourth, aim the subs to the back of the car. Firing into the cab like that, the back wave is bouncing off the trunk and coming into the cab out of phase and cancelling out a bunch of your bass.

Those subs are decent. Theyre entry level but properly installed and powered theyll give you good results.

-Clean up your wiring so you dont burn your car to the ground.
    -Get a good mono amp that makes at least 400 watts at 2 ohms and set the gain no higher than half way.
    -Turn the box around
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TinySofa
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The amp says it's a 200 watt bridgeable amp. I've cleaned up the wiring and turned the box around and it sounds better.

Can I get an amp like you suggested for less than $150? I was going to seal the box and carpet it or get a new one all together.

Thanks
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You havent sealed the box? Aye carumba. Yes you should seal the box.

As for the amp, go to Crutchfield.com and see what theyve got in your price range.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    sad-smiley-028.gif

Third, and this is just a stab in the dark, but Id be willing to bet youve got the gain cranked all the way up or pretty close. Youre clipping your amp which is sending out pure distortion which will sound like crap.

yes the gains are turned all the way up. Its on the fourth pic
  • TinySofa
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Would a 500 watt amp work? My friend had two 12"s hooked up to it. Would I just have to keep the gain down a lot?
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Depends on the amp. Make sure its 500 watts RMS and not peak. The peak rating is worthless and meaningless.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You know, that RadioShack amp is likely a name brand with a RadioShack sticker on it. Pioneer used to build 'Shack's amps and some of their stuff was rebranded Sony Mobile ES. There's a good chance it's not such great stuff but 'Shack amps are a decent budget deal. Cleaner and stouter than most stuff in the same price range. For a kid just starting out, it's decent enough to cut your teeth on.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • TinySofa
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The subs don't sound too bad but my friend needs money and is selling that amp for cheap so I might as well get it.